Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay... but recruiting is 24/7/365. Schools are on these kids early on.

I'd expect a kid rated this high, with his high major athleticism and highly refined skill sets, to have garnered lots of interest from the Kansas, Duke, UNCs, etc.

And maybe he has -- and they just haven't offered. But this is a top 20 rated kid -- not some darkhorse, you'd expect lots of eyes to have already been on him.

And please note that I'm not putting Lands down. He reminds me of Billy Owens. I'm just saying that there's a discrepancy between this kid's skillz / ranking, and the offer list.

Not sure if you saw his interview with Dumas but Kamari didn't have a lot to say, definitely is looking to play the 2G and mentioned some other schools but casually. Seems like the kind of kid who doesn't care or need to share all 40 plus schools who reached out to him. I don't think he is alone in some high rated kids having a list that is omitting some big names.

6’8” at the top of th zone sheesh
Westry is 6’5 and Copeland is 6’6...that zone would be insane. I would be selling BHH and every other top notch long PF’s on being part of the stingiest defense ever. Hey Bomani, if zones are for cowards, what does it say about our opponents when it makes them cry?

He was very strong in that interview that he views himself as and wants to play as a guard.

it wound be interesting to see what the zone looks like like Westry or Copeland at PG and Lands at SG.

In a couple of years, we could go 6’6 and 6’8 up top, with a 7’1 center.

Oh my.

His voice is VERY DEEP.

For whatever reason, I wasn’t expecting that.

Dunno if PG is realistic right now, but he definitely has a good enough handle to be a SG. Very fluid and smooth.

I’ll say it again - he’s like Mali, only at 6’8”.

The handle reminds me of Billy Owens -- not sure if he sees the floor like a point guard, like Owens did.

He's a much smoother shooter than Owens. Could see him at 2.

If he's on the floor with Copeland and Westry (or Taylor), does it matter what position we call him? You have your PG in Copeland and then your wings on offense. Unless he's trying to be a PG, I would say he can play like a Jimmy Butler on offense as a 2/3 (and even a primary ballhandler on some sets).

On defense, that's the bigger question. Would he be good being the 3 on D versus up top.

If he's on the floor with Copeland and Westry (or Taylor), does it matter what position we call him? You have your PG in Copeland and then your wings on offense. Unless he's trying to be a PG, I would say he can play like a Jimmy Butler on offense as a 2/3 (and even a primary ballhandler on some sets).

On defense, that's the bigger question. Would he be good being the 3 on D versus up top.

Agreed. Virtually no difference in the offense between a 2 and a 3 in our system -- only on defense.

Doesn't matter what you call them.

Agreed. Virtually no difference in the offense between a 2 and a 3 in our system -- only on defense.

Doesn't matter what you call them.
Eli was clearly a 1/2 his last year here but played the back of the zone. That’s all that matters.

Lands also specifically mentioned liking the zone - I wonder if he has a preference of playing up top or on the wing

Kamari, showing leadership with opening up our 2022 class with a big splash!

A201378C-DB64-4D39-BA82-0C2213D8A8C9.gif

For a 5 star he looks like just an ok athlete ... lot of old man game.. not that there’s anything wrong with that

Agree. The last video posted, he looks like a taller, but also slower version of Malachi Richardson. Maybe a little Quentin Grimes in him too. So hard to tell from 90 seconds of video.

We've had plenty of really successful players who didn't look super quick on the court but understood leverage and footwork to always get into positions to take quality shots. Guys like Moten and Edelin... from the video he looks like he fits more into this camp than a guy who is going to blow you away with speed and quickness.

Agree. The last video posted, he looks like a taller, but also slower version of Malachi Richardson. Maybe a little Quentin Grimes in him too. So hard to tell from 90 seconds of video.

We've had plenty of really successful players who didn't look super quick on the court but understood leverage and footwork to always get into positions to take quality shots. Guys like Moten and Edelin... from the video he looks like he fits more into this camp than a guy who is going to blow you away with speed and quickness.

Need to watch his tape, but makes me think of Kyle Anderson.

Shouldn’t the headline be: “Kamari Lands in Syracuse”? The NY Post folks have no worries here.

Kid seems like he is productive. That works for me.

Soo no one obviously predicted this or saw this coming down the pipeline. FWIW, not even the coaches were expecting. They legit did their routine checkin with their recruits who they are leading and Kamari said, lets go and I’m ready to commit. I’m so glad they didnt say, we’re waiting on some others or anything like that (they have in the past and burnt us badly). They took it and ran with it.

This transfer portal thing has some recruits shaken a bit and thinking they will be missing spots on teams when it comes time for them to get on campus or make a decision. Was told you’ll see a lot of 2022 kids making decisions relatively soon (not just ours that we’re recruiting). Was an interesting take/perspective

Soo no one obviously predicted this or saw this coming down the pipeline. FWIW, not even the coaches were expecting. They legit did their routine checkin with their recruits who they are leading and Kamari said, lets go and I’m ready to commit. I’m so glad they didnt say, we’re waiting on some others or anything like that (they have in the past and burnt us badly). They took it and ran with it.

This transfer portal thing has some recruits shaken a bit and thinking they will be missing spots on teams when it comes time for them to get on campus or make a decision. Was told you’ll see a lot of 2022 kids making decisions relatively soon (not just ours that we’re recruiting). Was an interesting take/perspective

This all makes sense.

With the Portal now a thing, HS croots may miss out on opportunities that they thought they had in their back pocket, only to find that slot filled by an inbound transfer instead.

And with Cuse having moved quickly on their first 2 Portal transfers, IF guys really want to lock down their spots, they need to act sooner rather than later.

I know you’re well connected so who do you think may be next and who do you think we’ll end up with? I know the Chance chatter was gaining steam again recently but seems to have quieted a bit.

Already starting to see more and more 22 kids committing. Definitely makes sense. Hope we get a few more surprises!

I think too a lot of Lands' schools just had coaching changes. That probably helped us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom