Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo no one obviously predicted this or saw this coming down the pipeline. FWIW, not even the coaches were expecting. They legit did their routine checkin with their recruits who they are leading and Kamari said, lets go and I’m ready to commit. I’m so glad they didnt say, we’re waiting on some others or anything like that (they have in the past and burnt us badly). They took it and ran with it.

This transfer portal thing has some recruits shaken a bit and thinking they will be missing spots on teams when it comes time for them to get on campus or make a decision. Was told you’ll see a lot of 2022 kids making decisions relatively soon (not just ours that we’re recruiting). Was an interesting take/perspective

Good on GMac. If he did a spot check and then pushed to run with the commitment asap, great on him. Close the deal, sort out the talent after. And, I've been hard as all get out on JB the last few months, but if they changed strategy and just rolled with the punches, great job.

If we can land a few others in '22 and convince Benny that Syracuse is worth living in for two years instead of one, we could field a monster team.

Good on GMac. If he did a spot check and then pushed to run with the commitment asap, great on him. Close the deal, sort out the talent after. And, I've been hard as all get out on JB the last few months, but if they changed strategy and just rolled with the punches, great job.

If we can land a few others in '22 and convince Benny that Syracuse is worth living in for two years instead of one, we could field a monster team.
My suspicion, because again, I know nothing, is that the staff prioritized getting some 22 guard commits locked in once it became clear that Buddy played himself into becoming a viable NBA prospect and likely won't play a 5th year.

There are a lot of wing minutes to be had. Still will be, even with Lands committing.

I know you’re well connected so who do you think may be next and who do you think we’ll end up with? I know the Chance chatter was gaining steam again recently but seems to have quieted a bit.
I know the staff was thinking Cope or JT committing first. I asked about if the Kamari thing will affect Taylor making a decision and I was told no. There’s zero expectation for Buddy to stay for that 5th year so the SG is completely open OR the pg slot is completely open because they may slide Jg3 to it his senior year

I think the plan for Benny is two years, but we all know how that goes.
Yeah, gotta just assume that if you project a guy to be good enough to leave after 2, it's very possible for them to be good enough to go after 1.

I know the staff was thinking Cope or JT committing first. I asked about if the Kamari thing will affect Taylor making a decision and I was told no. There’s zero expectation for Buddy to stay for that 5th year so the SG is completely open OR the pg slot is completely open because they may slide Jg3 to it his senior year
Copeland is really interesting to me because he's the truest point of the guys we're involved with, although I think Westry is skilled enough to play there too.

Assuming we continue playing zone, big guards like the guys we're pursuing make the defense a whole lot scarier up top. Lands is such a nice snag because it seems like he'd be capable of providing guard skills on offense, with wing size at the bottom of the zone if needed, or really great size at the top of the zone.

I'd really like to see us lock in a 2nd commit soon so we can sell a clearer vision, and also work the scarcity angle.

The handle reminds me of Billy Owens -- not sure if he sees the floor like a point guard, like Owens did.

He's a much smoother shooter than Owens. Could see him at 2.
Owens #1 rated recruit out of high school, iirc.

This all makes sense.

With the Portal now a thing, HS croots may miss out on opportunities that they thought they had in their back pocket, only to find that slot filled by an inbound transfer instead.

And with Cuse having moved quickly on their first 2 Portal transfers, IF guys really want to lock down their spots, they need to act sooner rather than later.

I am not familiar with how this works.

Can a HS kid with an offer from cuse lose his spot to a transfer?

I assume an offer is extended to a kid, it's there until the offer is retracted, right? I mean , it's not like it will happen without notice.

Perhaps the offer has an expiration date? The spot is held open for you until May 1, 2021? And it's safe until such time?

Or may be it's a conditional offer, like we have one spot, we are making this offer to player A, B and C, whoever commits first gets the spot and nullifies the other offers automatically?

Or may be the kid gets an offer that says the spot is open, you can sit on it, but if someone else comes along ready to commit, we will let you know and you have 24 hours to decide to take the spot or give it up.

How does it really work?

I am not familiar with how this works.

Can a HS kid with an offer from cuse lose his spot to a transfer?

I assume an offer is extended to a kid, it's there until the offer is retracted, right? I mean , it's not like it will happen without notice.

Perhaps the offer has an expiration date? The spot is held open for you until May 1, 2021? And it's safe until such time?

Or may be it's a conditional offer, like we have one spot, we are making this offer to player A, B and C, whoever commits first gets the spot and nullifies the other offers automatically?

Or may be the kid gets an offer that says the spot is open, you can sit on it, but if someone else comes along ready to commit, we will let you know and you have 24 hours to decide to take the spot or give it up.

How does it really work?

Kids get "recruited over" all the time. Especially at factories [not claiming Syracuse is one].

Unlikely to happen to a kid who is a 5-star, with Kamari's upside. Have to envision that we'd hold his spot.

But in the main -- each team is restricted to the maximum number of available scholarships they have, and if they choose to fill spots in other ways, then a player could run the risk of having a school opt to use the scholie on someone else.

That's pretty bad form, though, and would undoubtedly result in negative recruiting down the road.

Last edited:
Kids get "recruited over" all the time. Especially at factories [not claiming Syracuse is one].

Unlikely to happen to a kid who is a 5-star, with Kamari's upside. Have to envision that we'd hold his spot.

But in the main -- each team is restricted to the maximum number of available scholarships they have, and if they choose to fill spots in other ways, then a player could run the risk of having a school opt to use the scholie on someone else.

That's pretty bad form, though, and would undoubtedly result in negative recruiting down the road.

Once a school accepts a verbal from a player, they'll hold that spot until they sign.
(or sometimes, until they don't sign - kids sometimes back out of verbals,
see: Battle, Tyus w/ Michigan, prior to Syracuse)

But if a player has an offer from say Syracuse, that they have NOT yet accepted, and then we go out and find a player in the portal that fills that slot for us, we're under no obligation to hold the spot for any kids with an outstanding offer.

Snooze ya lose.

I'd imagine that the coaches would let the player know that we've moved on, like they would also hope that the player would notify them of the same.

He and Mourning flip flopped 1-2 I think. Billy O being on the cover of sports illustrated before even playing a game here was a big deal.
My memory is absolute ****, but i clearly remember going to the shop and buying this magazine:

mourning-and-owensjpg-ce159cfd5dee49d1.jpg

...and probably thinking 'this is the normal state of things with Syracuse Basketball.'

My memory is absolute ****, but i clearly remember going to the shop and buying this magazine:

mourning-and-owensjpg-ce159cfd5dee49d1.jpg

...and probably thinking 'this is the normal state of things with Syracuse Basketball.'
Captain Obvious cover page note:

"Syracuse's Billy Owens (left). . ." Oh, Syracuse's Owens is the one wearing the Syracuse jersey. Now I get it.

Once a school accepts a verbal from a player, they'll hold that spot until they sign.
(or sometimes, until they don't sign - kids sometimes back out of verbals,
see: Battle, Tyus w/ Michigan, prior to Syracuse)

But if a player has an offer from say Syracuse, that they have NOT yet accepted, and then we go out and find a player in the portal that fills that slot for us, we're under no obligation to hold the spot for any kids with an outstanding offer.

Snooze ya lose.

I'd imagine that the coaches would let the player know that we've moved on, like they would also hope that the player would notify them of the same.
Offer and acceptance. He who hesitates is lost.

Thank you for clarifying.

But can a school have more offers out than scholarships available?

Say we have 3 scholarships available, can we make 7 outstanding offers knowing only some (possibly none) will commit?

This is probably a bad analogy, but say you make 3 offers on 3 houses, knowing you are only buying one, you run a real risk of getting all three offers accepted on the same day and be legally obligated to put a deposit on all three.

I assume recruiting is less binding so you could have more offers out there then slots and there is enough conversations with each recruit to minimize unexpected surprises?

Say we have 3 scholarships available, can we make 7 outstanding offers knowing only some (possibly none) will commit?

This is probably a bad analogy, but say you make 3 offers on 3 houses, knowing you are only buying one, you run a real risk of getting all three offers accepted on the same day and be legally obligated to put a deposit on all three.

I assume recruiting is less binding so you could have more offers out there then slots and there is enough conversations with each recruit to minimize unexpected surprises?

Absolutely, yes -- you can have more offers than slots to fill. Most teams recruit that way.

They might actively recruit four PGs for example, intending to only take one. It might be a first come, first serve situation. Or the staff might tell all those prospects that they are prioritizing one player, and they want to see what he does before accepting commitments from any of the others [this happened while we waited out the Quade situation].

The staff doesn't have to "take" any commitments -- it isn't legally binding, like a house sale would be. And I'm not sure that house offer analogy perfectly works, because I think you can still get out of that as a buyer, until paperwork is signed. Not a realtor, but I don't think offers are binding [they fall through all of the time due to financing issues, etc. even after the seller "accepts" the offer].

But in recruiting, most teams cast a wide net to fill a small number of vacancies.

Yeah, schools can make more offers than they have scholarships. Nothing is official until the LOI (or other agreements) is signed.

Dino offers 100s of dudes every recruiting cycle on the football side, for example.

Kamari seems a bit more all-business. Im interested to see who he may reached out to to look at cuse.

my favorite commit since McCullough or Gbinije’s transfer probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors