Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you imagine a lineup of Flip, Benny, Lands, Taylor and JJ? Every single guy can score from all three levels. Size at all positions. I’m not saying this should or would be the starting lineup, because that is four freshmen and a sophomore. But, just a lineup I would love to see.

And of course you have Christ on your side ready to be the savior of the bench

Can you imagine a lineup of Flip, Benny, Lands, Taylor and JJ? Every single guy can score from all three levels. Size at all positions. I’m not saying this should or would be the starting lineup, because that is four freshmen and a sophomore. But, just a lineup I would love to see.

It would be a really young team, but the most skilled Syracuse team ever ... by a huge margin.

I don’t think Flip is coming to play center. Kid is an NBA 3/4

It would be a really young team, but the most skilled Syracuse team ever ... by a huge margin.
How old are you?. Love your takes but it wouldn't be the most skilled in the 80s 90s or 2000s. Okay boys let's get out the popcorn. Just an example. Who's going to cover Derrick, Billy, Stevie? And DC would have 2 dozen rebounds. Justin Taylor would never get a shot off against Stevie. Because we didn't play zone.

How old are you?. Love your takes but it wouldn't be the most skilled in the 80s 90s or 2000s. Okay boys let's get out the popcorn. Just an example. Who's going to cover Derrick, Billy, Stevie? And DC would have 2 dozen rebounds. Justin Taylor would never get a shot off against Stevie. Because we didn't play zone.
Outside shooting and ball handling on those 80's teams was not all that good.

I didn't say best defensive team, or best overall team. I said most skilled ... meaning shooting, dribbling, passing. None of the players you mentioned could hit a jump shot or a free throw.

I get it, it was a different era of basketball. Those were great players, and great teams. I'm not saying this group is better. But this group consists of 5 guys who can all hit from 3 AND are all exceptional ball handlers, AND are all great passers. SU hasn't ever fielded a team with 5 players who can all hit 3's and run point, not many teams have. That team could.

Wen?
Wen-Jiabao-2008.jpg

Yes?

I didn't say best defensive team, or best overall team. I said most skilled ... meaning shooting, dribbling, passing. None of the players you mentioned could hit a jump shot or a free throw.

I get it, it was a different era of basketball. Those were great players, and great teams. I'm not saying this group is better. But this group consists of 5 guys who can all hit from 3 AND are all exceptional ball handlers, AND are all great passers. SU hasn't ever fielded a team with 5 players who can all hit 3's and run point, not many teams have. That team could.
Coleman and Owens handled the ball like guards. Coleman shot .568 from the floor for his career and .366 from three as a senior, the only year he shot threes. Owens scored from everywhere, shot .509 from the floor, and .397 from three as a junior. Rebounding and post scoring are skills too. So is beating people off the dribble and scoring in the lane, something Thompson did exceptionally well despite everyone knowing he couldn't shoot.

It would be interesting to see how guys from this era would shoot against the physicality of that era.

Coleman and Owens handled the ball like guards. Coleman shot .568 from the floor for his career and .366 from three as a senior, the only year he shot threes. Owens scored from everywhere, shot .509 from the floor, and .397 from three as a junior. Rebounding and post scoring are skills too. So is beating people off the dribble and scoring in the lane, something Thompson did exceptionally well despite everyone knowing he couldn't shoot.

It would be interesting to see how guys from this era would shoot against the physicality of that era.

Nonetheless, let's recruit that team and see how good they are against the teams they would play now!

At the risk of perpetuating the non-Kamari antics, I have to note that Buddy had as many 3PA last season as Coleman and Owens had in the entirety of their combined SU careers. Not disagreeing with your general point, but you're really trying to compare two different games.

You also had Leron Ellis, and Dave Johnson, as a reserve who was a 1st round draft choice. A lot of talent in those years.

At the risk of perpetuating the non-Kamari antics, I have to note that Buddy had as many 3PA last season as Coleman and Owens had in the entirety of their combined SU careers. Not disagreeing with your general point, but you're really trying to compare two different games.
Sure. We just have to be careful when defining "skill." It's not just the pretty stuff, much of which the '80's guys were really good at. You don't go 1st and 3rd overall without being skilled, even in the '90's.

Last edited:
As it stands, I think our most offensively skilled team in terms of balance and having no weakness is the 2003 team.

Carmelo alone is enough to cover all bases. But throw in Gerry, Edelin, and Warrick? And then Duany was an athlete who could hit the 3, Pace a guy who could do a bit of everything except shoot from outside. We had outside shooting, slashing, ball handling, and low post scoring. And lots of solid passers. Most importantly those guys played smart and to their strengths.

And while Forth wasn’t a scorer, his screening ability did help the offense quite a bit.

Last edited:
As it stands, I think our most offensively skilled team in terms of balance and having no weakness is the 2003 team.

Carmelo alone is enough to cover all bases. But throw in Gerry, Edelin, and Warrick? And then Duany was an athlete who could hit the 3, Pace a guy who could do a bit of everything except shoot from outside. We had outside shooting, slashing, ball handling, and low post scoring.

And while Forth wasn’t a scorer, his screening ability did help the offense quite a bit.
If the 2010 team had a break you down off the dribble guy I think an argument could've been made for them, but that was the one thing it lacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom