Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't matter. That team would crush these guys
That wasn't the question. The statement the guy made was about skills. Not who would win.

If the 2010 team had a break you down off the dribble guy I think an argument could've been made for them, but that was the one thing it lacked.
Agreed, that 2010 team was a finely tuned machine. Scoop had some off the dribble ability, as did Joseph from the forward spot though. But yeah, not as much as the 2003 team probably.

I think they lacked a go to guy with no holes like Carmelo though. Wes was a great, great player, but he had a hole: not much off the dribble game.

Agreed, that 2010 team was a finely tuned machine. Scoop had some off the dribble ability, as did Joseph from the forward spot though. But yeah, not as much as the 2003 team probably.

I think they lacked a go to guy with no holes like Carmelo though. Wes was a great, great player, but he had a hole: not much off the dribble game.
Yeah. I thought that hurt us more in the tourney than losing AO. Sometimes you just need that guy you can give the ball to and tell him to get a bucket. I always wondered if having Flynn with his ability to do that would have been worth the trade off of worse defense and maybe less team chemistry.

Yeah. I thought that hurt us more in the tourney than losing AO. Sometimes you just need that guy you can give the ball to and tell him to get a bucket. I always wondered if having Flynn with his ability to do that would have been worth the trade off of worse defense and maybe less team chemistry.

AO though was the guy who really offset that weakness. We needed easy buckets vs Butler and AO would have given them fits for example

Outside shooting and ball handling on those 80's teams was not all that good.

Oh contraire -- ball handling on those 80s teams was EXACTLY what it needed to be -- give the ball to Pearl / Sherm, and run the floor.

Later on, complimentary ball-handling by way of DC and Billy was more than what the doctor ordered.

Now, shooting...

Oh contraire -- ball handling on those 80s teams was EXACTLY what it needed to be -- give the ball to Pearl / Sherm, and run the floor.

Later on, complimentary ball-handling by way of DC and Billy was more than what the doctor ordered.

Now, shooting...
I wasn't talking about the Pearl, Sherm teams. The poster said the Derrick, Billy, Stevie teams. And they didn't have Pearl or Sherm. they had Edwards. They also didn't have Matt Roe.

I wasn't talking about the Pearl, Sherm teams. The poster said the Derrick, Billy, Stevie teams. And they didn't have Pearl or Sherm. they had Edwards. They also didn't have Matt Roe.
With Edwards, I never understood why such a short guy dribbled so damn high.

At the risk of perpetuating the non-Kamari antics, I have to note that Buddy had as many 3PA last season as Coleman and Owens had in the entirety of their combined SU careers. Not disagreeing with your general point, but you're really trying to compare two different games.
True, but today's game is totally diferent that the 80s. Today's game calls for a planned higher percentage of 3s taken now than back in the 80s.

That wasn't the question. The statement the guy made was about skills. Not who would win.
I dont care if they played checkers that team would crush this team in every game imaginable. Ok maybe they loose an eating contest:)

Those teams were all very athletic, but really poor perimeter shooting teams. If they had to play half court, that is when they usually lost. They had size, but there was some horrible outside shooting.

Maybe I have selective memory here a bit but those DC teams and JB really dictated the pace in most games. We constantly pushed fast breaks. DC was masterful getting the board and immediately hitting the outlet. Loved those games. We used to rebound and run.

AO though was the guy who really offset that weakness. We needed easy buckets vs Butler and AO would have given them fits for example
We still had some of that with Jackson. I wish we could've seen what would've happened with both of them. When they were in the game together, Jackson was good at high/low passing to AO. That team was so much fun.

Maybe I have selective memory here a bit but those DC teams and JB really dictated the pace in most games. We constantly pushed fast breaks. DC was masterful getting the board and immediately hitting the outlet. Loved those games. We used to rebound and run.
Stevie didn’t have to crash the boards, so he was always past half court by the time the other team knew what was going on. If teams had a prayer of rebounding with us, they had to send everyone and then scramble back. But, Seikaly, Coleman, Owens, Ellis...grabbed all the boards. How many runout dunks did Stevie have?

If the 2010 team had a break you down off the dribble guy I think an argument could've been made for them, but that was the one thing it lacked.

If the 2010 team either had Jonny from the previous season or Dion from the following season, they’d have been pretty unbeatable.

No, he said who would cover those three guys. Sherman played with all three of them in 1989.

But I see the disconnect -- I was referring to multiple teams from the 80s era, you were talking about the one specific team that lacked a point guard. All good.

Last edited:
If the 2010 team either had Jonny from the previous season or Dion from the following season, they’d have been pretty unbeatable.
Seemingly. The one question is team chemistry. That allowed that team tombe more than the sum of its parts. Does that get upset with either of those guys? We'll never know.

Seemingly. The one question is team chemistry. That allowed that team tombe more than the sum of its parts. Does that get upset with either of those guys? We'll never know.

I really wish I could have caught some practices during the season Wes and Scoop sat out in 2009. I’m sure the competitiveness was off the charts with all that talent.

The 2012 team was the best team I saw that we ever put on the court.
And Kamari Lands would’ve been a fine bench player on that team

That team was flat out dominate. They would have made the FF without Fab if not for how poorly the OSU game was officiated. With Fab it would likely have setup an incredible title game vs UK.

The 2012 team was the best team I saw that we ever put on the court.
And Kamari Lands would’ve been a fine bench player on that team
I have always thought the '10 team, Rautins senior year, was the best 'team' we've had since 2003. The way they moved the ball on offense, competent shooters, two guys that could score from the block. Really fun team to watch, might not have had the sheer athleticism as 2012, but a better team.
Both the '10 and '12 teams were championship level teams if we didn't lose our centers at the worst possible time...

I dont care if they played checkers that team would crush this team in every game imaginable. Ok maybe they loose an eating contest:)
That team would beat this team in a shooting contest? No. They wouldn't.

I have always thought the '10 team, Rautins senior year, was the best 'team' we've had since 2003. The way they moved the ball on offense, competent shooters, two guys that could score from the block. Really fun team to watch, might not have had the sheer athleticism as 2012, but a better team.
Both the '10 and '12 teams were championship level teams if we didn't lose our centers at the worst possible time...

Hmmm...

Those were CLEARLY the two best teams of the second "golden age." But they were very different.

2010 had perfect chemistry, great passing, and was perhaps the most complimentary / balanced offensive team we've ever fielded. Depth was limited, but we had two terrific bench pieces who both played starter's minutes, and lots of positional versatility from several guys, which helped to mask the lack of depth. That is, until Arinze got hurt. Great shooting, great inside scoring, a little turnover prone.

2012 wasn't quite as good offensively, but top to bottom it was the most talented roster we've ever fielded, 1 through 10. We legitimately could have gone 10 deep -- which is not something you can say about most squads. We had the likes of CJ and Dion coming off the bench, who were BETTER than the starters ahead of them. MCW -- a future NBA ROY -- couldn't even get off the bench for this team. This was also one of the best defensive squads we've ever had - in part because they could come at you in waves with no dropoff. And the team made up for a lack of inside scoring by forcing so many turnovers and getting easy buckets in transition. Great squad that got boned by the refs in the OSU game.

As you state -- two championship-caliber squads. Dammit...

True, but today's game is totally diferent that the 80s. Today's game calls for a planned higher percentage of 3s taken now than back in the 80s.

Which is why a team of five players who can create their own shots, score from outside, pull up or take it to the hole would be a great team, (offensively, anyway), in today's game.

Can you imagine a lineup of Flip, Benny, Lands, Taylor and JJ? Every single guy can score from all three levels. Size at all positions. I’m not saying this should or would be the starting lineup, because that is four freshmen and a sophomore. But, just a lineup I would love to see.
So in other words we have come full circle back to this. ^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors