Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_20210619-182326_Instagram.jpg

How old are you?. Love your takes but it wouldn't be the most skilled in the 80s 90s or 2000s. Okay boys let's get out the popcorn. Just an example. Who's going to cover Derrick, Billy, Stevie? And DC would have 2 dozen rebounds. Justin Taylor would never get a shot off against Stevie. Because we didn't play zone.
Of course we played zone. We also mixed in man

Those teams were all very athletic, but really poor perimeter shooting teams. If they had to play half court, that is when they usually lost. They had size, but there was some horrible outside shooting.
They could press and run this team out of the gym

What a great first piece to what is going to be a program changing class. Chance, Justin, Flip, Quadir and JJ...whose next?
Program "changing”? Naw, more like program "reaffirming" class. We haven't exactly been chopped liver all these years.

Last edited:
Program "changing? Naw, more like program "reaffirming" class. We haven't exactly been chopped liver all these years.
I am not saying we were EVER chopped liver. But, this class will usher in the new era of Syracuse basketball success that will include final fours and another championship(s). No pressure fellas. But that is what Kamari, + Chance, + Justin + Flip + the returnees equals. Add in either JJ and Quadir and we are talking ridiculous squads. I have faith it happens, I just can't wait for the dominoes to fall. Will it be Chance? Or Justin? Flip?

JB learned a lot from many Big East coaches.Lil Louie was the zone teacher. JB started using the Zone when teams were passing the ball in underneath their own basket. The man defense allowed a pick to get a layup on the opposite side from the throw in. His use of the zone progressed from there to 100%.

Felt like we played zone because we were slow that year, and our guards happened to be big, and we kinda accidentally struck gold.
I don't think playing zone is anything shameful as people like Bomani Jones would lead the masses to believe. A good defender can thrive in any defense. I poor defender can, perhaps, be hidden in a zone. But, the other four defenders better be able to expand their traditional zone responsibilities to cover said offensive player's area. Anyway, I love that our coach has a unique way of approaching basketball and he applies it to great success. With better recruiting, we will see even deeper runs.

I don't think playing zone is anything shameful as people like Bomani Jones would lead the masses to believe. A good defender can thrive in any defense. I poor defender can, perhaps, be hidden in a zone. But, the other four defenders better be able to expand their traditional zone responsibilities to cover said offensive player's area. Anyway, I love that our coach has a unique way of approaching basketball and he applies it to great success. With better recruiting, we will see even deeper runs.

A better-than-average center the past few years would have helped the zone immensely. We need a good defensive center. Maybe we have one?

A better-than-average center the past few years would have helped the zone immensely. We need a good defensive center. Maybe we have one?
I agree. But, I think being able to defend the corner three is overrated. I just want a center that can defend the paint and know when to go for a block and when to stand tall and then box out for a rebound. Obviously it is much more difficult than what I picture in my mind. But, that is my dream nonetheless.

Maybe 3 if Sid is healthy

I agree. But, I think being able to defend the corner three is overrated. I just want a center that can defend the paint and know when to go for a block and when to stand tall and then box out for a rebound. Obviously it is much more difficult than what I picture in my mind. But, that is my dream nonetheless.
The corner 3 is the best shot in basketball (distance/value)

Felt like we played zone because we were slow that year, and our guards happened to be big, and we kinda accidentally struck gold.
Yeah, it wasn't the weapon then that it later became. It was a great strategy that we used for the reasons you mentioned. It also helped keep our starters fresh and on the floor.

And the '80's into the '90's. It evolved into our primary defense sometime after the 1996 run to the finals.

Here's a game from 1995. We came out in man and played it most of game.

We've been a zone team since the Roy's Runts era. We played both when we got the athletes to do it until the Lemoyne game on 2009, when JB decided to go all zone, with variations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom