Marek Dolezaj | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

Pronunciation of the last name? Anybody know?

The official cuse men's basketball twitter account is now following Marek. That's pretty good news.
I see he has 189 followers. About 150 or so are Cuse fans, Cuse media or Cuse coaches (Red Autry). Doesn't look like he is real active in social media but that's probably better in the long run. but hopefully he sees all the love he is garnering. And hopefully this will be signed, sealed and delivered quickly.

doesn't tell you all that much. maybe Marek didn't take the number of shots those guys did. Maybe Marek played on a team that had some other high scorer. Our competition for the kid is him going pro. That gives me the barometer that I need.
If anything, it tells you about the competition. The kid is playing against men who already played 4 years of D1 basketball. At the youngest, they are probably 24. He's played against of grown men as a 19 year old and held his own.

But the rest of your points are also most likely true.

Marek's team was 10-30. He played in 33 of their games. Their leading scorer avg 12.4 ppg, Marek was tied for 2nd at 10.1ppg. His team was 4th worst in the league. All these American players are averaging around the same ppg that they did in College. So take it anyway you want it but it looks like this league is about as good as the MAC conference

This is how I see things also. In my review I mentioned something along the lines of the competition looking better than high school but worse than major D1 - MAC level competition seems about right.

If we get a kid who is putting up 10ppg against MAC level competition as a high schooler, and we know he has all the physical tools to be very good, and is improving quickly, I'd say that's a very good indication that we got a good one.

As Dasher said, he was not a plan B for Tucker or anybody else. The staff wanted this kid and would have taken him along with Tucker had Tucker committed first. If anything, Thorpe is the guy we will get because we lost out on Tucker.

This is how I see things also. In my review I mentioned something along the lines of the competition looking better than high school but worse than major D1 - MAC level competition seems about right.

If we get a kid who is putting up 10ppg against MAC level competition as a high schooler, and we know he has all the physical tools to be very good, and is improving quickly, I'd say that's a very good indication that we got a good one.

As Dasher said, he was not a plan B for Tucker or anybody else. The staff wanted this kid and would have taken him along with Tucker had Tucker committed first. If anything, Thorpe is the guy we will get because we lost out on Tucker.
agree 100%

So, shifting things back to the topic of him potentially committing -- isn't tomorrow [May 23rd] a critical date in terms of the LOI?

Is that something anyone confirm?

So, shifting things back to the topic of him potentially committing -- isn't tomorrow [May 23rd] a critical date in terms of the LOI?

Is that something anyone confirm?
No. The last day to sign a NLI was May 17th, but those don't mean much.

Techinically he could wait as long as AWIII did last year

Exactly. It would've been interesting if Dolezaj would've been as interested in SU if JT chose us.

A Tucker commitment could have potentially kept 2 players away, Dolezaj and/or Thorpe. We could have possibly gotten 2 good players , based on one good one not coming . Thanks coach K (possibly).

A Tucker commitment could have potentially kept 2 players away, Dolezaj and/or Thorpe. We could have possibly gotten 2 good players , based on one good one not coming . Thanks coach K (possibly).
Not 2 extra players though. We get Tucker, we probably get 1 of Thorpe and Marek.

Also, Thorpe would be a 1 year rental - Tucker would have been here for most likely 2 years at the minimum.

Not 2 extra players though. We get Tucker, we probably get 1 of Thorpe and Marek.

Also, Thorpe would be a 1 year rental - Tucker would have been here for most likely 2 years at the minimum.
If it's down to those players (assuming Ayala doesn't come ) it could be 2 players instead of 1. I think getting tucker could have hurt the chances of potentially getting Thorpe and Marek. This is all hypothetical obviously.

Ignoring your hyperbole, i certainly didn't mean to say or imply that i thought Marek would reach the level of 'once in a lifetime talent.' Which is why i said "...kinda guy." As in, a player who does those sorts of things.

Still, i wonder what the actual AK looked like at the same age. Since you're his biggest fan (or AK himself), maybe you have his pre-NBA stats handy (tattooed on your forearm)?
Did not mean to come accross like that. My bad. I just felt like the AK comparisons were a bit of a reach. But I see what you are saying.

I did find some pre NBA AK stats.
The year before he was drafted he played 98-99 season for CSKA. He averaged 12.4pts 4.2reb 2.1ast 2.6stl 1blk 64%FG 45%3pt 68%FT...does not list the minutes per game.

Did not mean to come accross like that. My bad. I just felt like the AK comparisons were a bit of a reach. But I see what you are saying.

I did find some pre NBA AK stats.
The year before he was drafted he played 98-99 season for CSKA. He averaged 12.4pts 4.2reb 2.1ast 2.6stl 1blk 64%FG 45%3pt 68%FT...does not list the minutes per game.
Thanks for the stats.
Yeah, i really only meant 'style,' not expected production.
We'll both enjoy seeing what he becomes, and hopefully, we'll both be here in 15 years dismissing a recruit's potential for being the next Marek.

Is he friends with any elite Slovakian guards?

It's funny you say that, but it certainly won't hurt the prospects of signing elite foreign players, When I signed my first foreign player - it opened up the floodgates. My first player was from Russia, and that summer I received probably 4 to 5 e-mails per day from tennis players in Russia, Ukraine, Rep. of Georiga, etc... who all wanted to come play tennis in America. It was quite interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom