Class of 2017 - SF Michael Porter Jr (MO) to Missouri | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Michael Porter Jr (MO) to Missouri

Yeah, like I said, I can't hate on him for wanting to spend one more year with his family back home. I get it. Just wouldn't be the decision I would personally make and it's kind of depressing for me as a college/NBA fan that I probably won't see Porter play much because his school will never be on TV/won't make the NCAA tournament.
They will make the tournament. There's a good supporting cast already in place, what they needed was an impact player like Porter.

A college national championship's a bit harder to obtain than a HS state title. Not to downplay how significant and impressive winning states is.
Except he didn't just win a state title. He turned a 3-win team into the best team in the entire country.

Minnesota and Wake Forest did it. Why can't Mizzou?

A college national championship's a bit harder to obtain than a HS state title. Not to downplay how significant and impressive winning states is.
Dad signed w Missouri as asst coach today. He's history

I give this guy credit for his lack of shame. If his kids weren't top prospects I wonder what he would do for a living. I hope my daughter grows up to have a marketable skill and I can parlay that into a job I have no businesses having.
It's not like Porter Sr. was managing a Sbarro or pushing pencils in a cubicle before he was hired at Washington. He played Division I ball, was involved with Athletes in Action, and served as the Director of Basketball Operations and then assistant coach for the Missouri Women's team. We all know why he was hired, but let's stop pretending that he doesn't have any experience and doesn't bring anything to the table beyond his sons. His resume isn't all that different from G-Mac's.

It's not like Porter Sr. was managing a Sbarro or pushing pencils in a cubicle before he was hired at Washington. He played Division I ball, was involved with Athletes in Action, and served as the Director of Basketball Operations and then assistant coach for the Missouri Women's team. We all know why he was hired, but let's stop pretending that he doesn't have any experience and doesn't bring anything to the table beyond his sons. His resume isn't all that different from G-Mac's.
The Missouri womens team which his sister-in-law was the coach of. He played division 1 ball at the mighty University of New Orleans. He has no men's coaching experience. I'm not pretending. Outside of his sons he brings nothing to the table in my opinion. Are you seriously comparing his road to G-Mac? Gerry was a really good college player that couldn't play in the league who was a graduate assistant and promoted up. There are literally guys like Gerry at half the major schools coaching in division 1. You know the first time Porter coached was for his oldest daughters team like 12 years ago. I'm not sure if you are noticing a trend here.

They will make the tournament. There's a good supporting cast already in place, what they needed was an impact player like Porter.

I disagree. They were literally one of the worst teams in the country this year and none of their players played particularly well. Their three best players are:
- a former 4 star transfer from Texas that was great finishing inside but can't shoot to save his life and insists on jacking up 3's anyways
- a borderline top 350 recruit who also struggles to shoot but also couples that with being a terrible finisher inside
- a 3 star PG that shot 45% at the rim, which is basically unheard of, but might be a decent shooter

Obviously it depends on who follows Porter to Missouri, but I don't think this team is even close to what Simmons had in LSU for example, and that team missed the tournament. I think Missouri will struggle to be .500 even with the Porter brothers.

Obviously recruiting rankings aren't everything, but LSU had like 5 top 100 recruits on it along with Simmons. Missouri currently has 1 if you count the Texas transfer.

Also a fun and energetic man. His team will be too. I wanna play for Hop. Why all the hate for him from these tweakers? He was good enough to be HC here (probably 90% approved) now people saying he's garbage cause he's gone. My bet is we'll be praying he comes back whenever the old man checks out.

I'd rather play for Hop than JB.

The Missouri womens team which his sister-in-law was the coach of. He played division 1 ball at the mighty University of New Orleans. He has no men's coaching experience. I'm not pretending. Outside of his sons he brings nothing to the table in my opinion. Are you seriously comparing his road to G-Mac? Gerry was a really good college player that couldn't play in the league who was a graduate assistant and promoted up. There are literally guys like Gerry at half the major schools coaching in division 1. You know the first time Porter coached was for his oldest daughters team like 12 years ago. I'm not sure if you are noticing a trend here.
He has men's coaching experience now.

I disagree. They were literally one of the worst teams in the country this year and none of their players played particularly well. Their three best players are:
- a former 4 star transfer from Texas that was great finishing inside but can't shoot to save his life and insists on jacking up 3's anyways
- a borderline top 350 recruit who also struggles to shoot but also couples that with being a terrible finisher inside
- a 3 star PG that shot 45% at the rim, which is basically unheard of, but might be a decent shooter

Obviously it depends on who follows Porter to Missouri, but I don't think this team is even close to what Simmons had in LSU for example, and that team missed the tournament. I think Missouri will struggle to be .500 even with the Porter brothers.

Obviously recruiting rankings aren't everything, but LSU had like 5 top 100 recruits on it along with Simmons. Missouri currently has 1 if you count the Texas transfer.
Do the same analysis for the supporting cast that was in place when Melo and G-Mac arrived. And I'm not saying Mizzou will contend for a national championship. But a tournament appearance is not out of the question, especially coming out of the SEC. Plus Martin's a better coach than Johnny Jones.

LOL! Good one. If that is what you want to call it.
What else would you call it? I'm sorry that the Porter family spurned your two favorite teams, but you would have been just fine with them at Syracuse or Washington.

Do the same analysis for the supporting cast that was in place when Melo and G-Mac arrived. And I'm not saying Mizzou will contend for a national championship. But a tournament appearance is not out of the question, especially coming out of the SEC. Plus Martin's a better coach than Johnny Jones.
I thought the supporting cast was fine. We had Kueth Duany, Warrick and Billy Edelin coming in. My understand is that Missou has nothing close to that although you seem to be more plugged in.

What else would you call it? I'm sorry that the Porter family spurned your two favorite teams, but you would have been just fine with them at Syracuse or Washington.
I don't know that the Porter family spurned Syracuse. Porter Jr had to ask us to recruit him if I remember right. I'm not mad at the Porter Jr kid and don't think it's fair the way people are talking about him in Seattle right now. I do think Porter Sr. is an opportunist and a clown though. I have thought that for some time. I never posted at any point that I thought hiring this fool as an assistant made any sense.

A clown? Whatever would give you that idea?

Are you actually a Syracuse fan or do you just enjoy arguing with Syracuse fans? I really couldn't tell!

Are you actually a Syracuse fan or do you just enjoy arguing with Syracuse fans? I really couldn't tell!
Honored to be one of your first 11 posts. Did you watch the video?

z1f3d.jpg

Honored to be one of your first 11 posts. Did you watch the video?
I don't post a lot more active on twitter just started posting but I'm glad you had to stalk me thanks Popcorn and soda

Also a fun and energetic man. His team will be too. I wanna play for Hop. Why all the hate for him from these tweakers? He was good enough to be HC here (probably 90% approved) now people saying he's garbage cause he's gone. My bet is we'll be praying he comes back whenever the old man checks out.
No, I said he was before he decided to leave.

Hop was a great recruiter here. He wasn't a head coach here and those 9 games he was trusted into.

I think Hop is a very smart man and I know that whatever team he puts out on the floor will play smart basketball and put him in a postion of success.

These adjectives do not show what this last year team represents. You say great recruiter, common, look at the team and show me where he put together a great recruiting class. MM & TT were pushed and closed by JB. We need to look outside of our alumni to fine a real good coach who can do both coach and recruit. There our some really good ones out there which I'm sure would love to come and take over for a legendary coach and school. We need to do this relatively quick and get it done or we will be years before we see SU at or near the top in recruiting. jmo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom