Class of 2017 - SF Michael Porter Jr (MO) to Missouri | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Michael Porter Jr (MO) to Missouri

Come on down to cuse! we have the 3 wide open!

What's worse? Going to a horrible team as a top 10 guy or sitting Duke's bench as a top 20 guy.

I mean, you don't have to pick one or the other. There's plenty of good schools where he'd play 30-35 minutes a night. And there's absolutely zero chance that a healthy Michael Porter sits on Duke's bench. Giles would have been playing a ton had he been healthy too.

I mean, you don't have to pick one or the other. There's plenty of good schools where he'd play 30-35 minutes a night. And there's absolutely zero chance that a healthy Michael Porter sits on Duke's bench. Giles would have been playing a ton had he been healthy too.

I think Giles would have played more for another team that didn't have Amile jefferson once he was back. It still doesn't explain Jeter, Thornton, Marques Bolden and Frank Jackson not getting legitimate minutes until the last 10 games of the season.

We got him in the bag if we send Gerry out there IMO :)

Edit: Seriously though, for those that think he's a lock to Missouri (and he probably is), at what point will these top recruits realize that they'll be miserable for a year like Simmons and Fultz appeared to be the past two years.?I know they'll be the #1 pick regardless, but man, I just can't imagine volunteering to lose like that.
Who's to say he'll be miserable and that he's volunteering to lose? Why does the comparison have to be Simmons and Fultz as opposed to, say, Melo and Durant?

I don't get it, Why would you leave Wash for Mizzou, Mizzou was one of the worst p5 teams in the country last year.
That was last year.

I don't get it, Why would you leave Wash for Mizzou, Mizzou was one of the worst p5 teams in the country last year.

It's simply because his dad is expected (by many) to be hired as an assistant there

This is one of those recruits who could play at a community college and still go number one overall! Ya know the ones Cal personally takes the credit for, when they make it to the league!

There are plenty of programs will he could go get pt and win, like us.
How'd AWIII and Gillon do in the NCAA tourney this year?

Just sayin' SU may not be the best most recent example. A self imposed post season ban in a bubble year, a bubble where we squeezed in and made a historic FF run, and a bubble year where we didn't make it.

Who's to say he'll be miserable and that he's volunteering to lose? Why does the comparison have to be Simmons and Fultz as opposed to, say, Melo and Durant?

Obviously things could change, but Mizzou basically has zero talent on their roster. It's a far more bare cupboard than LSU or Washington was and not in the same stratosphere of Texas or Syracuse.

Edit: and perhaps he'll be happy there even if they're losing. I just can't really imagine signing up for that kind of situation, but we all have different priorities. I can't blame him if being close to family for one more year is more important to him than winning.

Obviously things could change, but Mizzou basically has zero talent on their roster. It's a far more bare cupboard than LSU or Washington was and not in the same stratosphere of Texas or Syracuse.
They have a few pieces already in place, including a PG from Oak Hill and a couple of good forwards (one who transferred from Texas). They have another PG coming in (expected to honor his commitment) and they're targeting a couple of local prospects, including a SG who was named Illinois Mr. Basketball and a 5-star center who committed to Illinois, but might bolt. Jontay Porter could reclassify and play C or PF.

Martin's a solid coach and the SEC is a top-heavy conference. If Mizzou gets the Porters, I think they make the tournament.

Edit: and perhaps he'll be happy there even if they're losing. I just can't really imagine signing up for that kind of situation, but we all have different priorities. I can't blame him if being close to family for one more year is more important to him than winning.
His current HS team won three games the year before he arrived. Not only did he lead them to an undefeated record and state title, but they were named the Mythical National Champions as well.

Let's see what happens. You might be right, you might be wrong.

Porter's final 4 is Mizzou, Washington, Oklahoma and UVA.

He said he "heard Mike Hopkins is that dude" ...

Michael Porter Jr., the top-ranked college basketball recruit for the 2017 season, is joining his father in leaving the Washington Huskies program.

The forward told KING 5 News in Seattle he has asked the University of Washington for a release from his commitment. Michael's dad, Michael Porter Sr., was reportedly hired to Cuonzo Martin's staff at Missouri as an assistant after Washington fired longtime coach Lorenzo Romar earlier this month.

Michael Porter Jr. will still consider the Huskies after the "unfortunate" firing of Romar, he told KING 5 News, but admitted he is surprised new Washington coach Mike Hopkins hasn't reached out to him.

Michael Porter Jr., nation's No. 1 recruit, asks Washington for release

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Porter Jr., the top-ranked college basketball recruit for the 2017 season, is joining his father in leaving the Washington Huskies program.

The forward told KING 5 News in Seattle he has asked the University of Washington for a release from his commitment. Michael's dad, Michael Porter Sr., was reportedly hired to Cuonzo Martin's staff at Missouri as an assistant after Washington fired longtime coach Lorenzo Romar earlier this month.

Michael Porter Jr. will still consider the Huskies after the "unfortunate" firing of Romar, he told KING 5 News, but admitted he is surprised new Washington coach Mike Hopkins hasn't reached out to him.

Before committing to Washington, Porter Jr. received offers from countless schools, including Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and UCLA, but chose to stay in the Seattle area.

With his dad now at Missouri, the Tigers are the favorites to land the 6-10 standout.

MORE: Washington fires longtime coach Lorenzo Romar after nine-win season

Porter Jr. was named Naismith National High School Player on Monday after averaging 36.2 points, 13.6 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.4 blocks per game. He will be playing in the McDonald’s All-American game March 29.

On Tuesday, Washington also granted a release toincoming point guard Blake Harris, ranked No. 99 overall in the 2017 class.
On sports radio this morning Hop said that he has been talking to Porter Sr. and that they were still discussing whether there was a place for him on the UW staff although I know he is looking at Missouri. I still think that Sr goes to Missouri and Porter Jr follows but you never know. Apparently Porter Jr really likes Seattle and is only truly considering UW, Missouri (dad) and Oklahoma (Trae Young/best friend).

Not posting this to dispute cuseinseattle's post above. They probably have talked by now and Sr. isn't specific as to which part isn't true. I just find it interesting that he goes out of his way to respond to this tweet and this tweet only.

Not posting this to dispute cuseinseattle's post above. They probably have talked by now and Sr. isn't specific as to which part isn't true. I just find it interesting that he goes out of his way to respond to this tweet and this tweet only.
Just to clarify Hopkins said this morning he hadn't spoke to Sr yet but was asked a questions about having him on the staff and didn't rule it out. At the presser yesterday Hopkins said he hadn't talked to Porter Jr or Porter Sr yet but they had exchanged voicemails and Hopkins decided he would rather meet in person. I misstated above they haven't talked but been exchanging voicemails.

Michael Porter Jr. wants Washington release, names four schools

By Jason Jordan, USA TODAY High School Sports March 22, 2017

ap_2017_hoophall_classic_88212020.jpg

Nathan Hale’s Michael Porter Jr. (Photo: Gregory Payan, Associated Press)

Michael Porter Jr. wants out of his scholarship at Washington.

“I don’t know if we’ve asked yet because my dad is handling everything, but I’m definitely requesting a release,” Porter said Wednesday after being named the Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year. “It’s coming.”

A week ago, Washington fired head men’s basketball coach Lorenzo Romar following a disappointing 9-22 season with the Huskies.
I was so shocked,” Porter said. “I thought they’d at least give him next year with the special class we had coming in. They obviously saw it another way. That hurt me.”

Michael Porter Jr. wants Washington release, names four schools

Apparently he's dating Madison Pettis, whoever that is.

Porter/Hopkins, etc.:

Top-ranked prospect Michael Porter Jr. wants release from Washington

Mike Hopkins wowed the crowd in Seattle during his introductory press conference at the University of Washington on Wednesday.

The longtime Syracuse University assistant coach spoke of his desire to build his own legacy and laid out a vision of what Washington can be under his leadership.

Most of what Hopkins discussed referred to a long-term vision for the Huskies.

In the short term, Hopkins may have a struggle on his hands to keep one of the nation's top high school players committed to Washington.

No. 1 prospect Michael Porter Jr. of Seattle Nathan Hale, will request a release from his letter of intent to Washington.

Top-ranked prospect Michael Porter Jr. wants release from Washington

Ask Ben Simmons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom