Class of 2017 - SF Nahziah Carter to Washington | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Nahziah Carter to Washington

Snooped around on a Dayton message board after the Griffin announcement. Sounds like he was the lead recruiter for Carter. We could pretty easily jump to the front of the line if we decide to offer him.

Snooped around on a Dayton message board after the Griffin announcement. Sounds like he was the lead recruiter for Carter. We could pretty easily jump to the front of the line if we decide to offer him.

Yes, the Griff connection has been mentioned in everything I've read, so obviously our new assistant likes him. So...what's the deal? If we are just waiting on Tucker, that is not smart.

maybe (maybe?) they've been in contact with Nahz and have an understanding in place?

Possible, but considering our recent track record, I have little faith that is the case. If so, I'd guess Griff was doing that. I'm sure Griff has been in contact with him, since he was recruiting him at Dayton.

Hop offering Carter could be a window into what's been going on with our recruiting lately.

Carter had to almost certainly been on Hop's radar when Hop was at SU. Now, I do realize he blew up in the last couple weeks but still, we didn't offer him and now Hop does at Washington. To me, this shows a little more how we don't tend to offer a few guys at the same position...the eggs in one basket bs. I think it's a very real thing.

If the staff is waiting on Jordan Tucker's decision to decide if they want to offer Nahziah Carter, than I'd rather not see an offer to Carter at all. We should only offer players because they are Syracuse caliber and we think they will be a good fit in the system- not because we are missing out on our first or second options and have to settle for lesser recruits.

Carter looks to have great athleticism and I think he could do fine as a SG at the top of the zone, but we already have Tyus Battle there. Right now, we need a SF who can play on the wing defensively and even for as athletic as Carter is, I'm not sure if he has the size to compete in the ACC for his first year or two.

Offensively he is one-dimensional. His entire game is getting to the rim. But will he be able to get to the rim when he's going up against ACC defenders, and more importantly, does he have the toughness to finish?

If we got Nahziah Carter, he'd be stuck behind Battle as a SG and Moyer/Brissett as a SF next season. Tucker is still the #1 priority, but if that doesn't work out, I'd rather us go after either Dolezaj or grad transfers with our sights on adding a high caliber 2018 SF.

If the staff is waiting on Jordan Tucker's decision to decide if they want to offer Nahziah Carter, than I'd rather not see an offer to Carter at all. We should only offer players because they are Syracuse caliber and we think they will be a good fit in the system- not because we are missing out on our first or second options and have to settle for lesser recruits.

Carter looks to have great athleticism and I think he could do fine as a SG at the top of the zone, but we already have Tyus Battle there. Right now, we need a SF who can play on the wing defensively and even for as athletic as Carter is, I'm not sure if he has the size to compete in the ACC for his first year or two.

Offensively he is one-dimensional. His entire game is getting to the rim. But will he be able to get to the rim when he's going up against ACC defenders, and more importantly, does he have the toughness to finish?

If we got Nahziah Carter, he'd be stuck behind Battle as a SG and Moyer/Brissett as a SF next season. Tucker is still the #1 priority, but if that doesn't work out, I'd rather us go after either Dolezaj or grad transfers with our sights on adding a high caliber 2018 SF.

Fair post, but as I've said, why can't we target Tucker AND Carter, with an eye towards getting both players. I'd argue we haven't offered Carter because we are only looking at Tucker for the 3. Carter could be a 2/3 and develop for a few years. He shouldn't be looked at as a backup plan. That's the problem. He'd be PART of a long-term plan to make the team better.

In my view Carter isn't a 1 and done type player. So I imagine he wouldn't be seeing much time behind Battle or anyone. It is good to have depth in your roster. Right now what happens if Battle gets hurt or sick again? We going to start Washington and Howard back court and play them 40 minutes each because we literally have nobody else.

Hop offering Carter could be a window into what's been going on with our recruiting lately.

Carter had to almost certainly been on Hop's radar when Hop was at SU. Now, I do realize he blew up in the last couple weeks but still, we didn't offer him and now Hop does at Washington. To me, this shows a little more how we don't tend to offer a few guys at the same position...the eggs in one basket bs. I think it's a very real thing.
I agree. I'm certainly not a coach , but I'm having a difficult time understanding this type of recruiting strategy. i just feel that In addition to depth , offering multiple players at the same positiom helps to eliminate the all eggs in one basket. More importantly , to a degree, wouldn't it put pressure on players to make a decision faster ? Create a sense of urgency.