Class of 2017 - SF Nahziah Carter to Washington | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Nahziah Carter to Washington

We need a wing that can play at least 20-25 mpg next season. To me, Carter would seem to fit much better at the top of the zone, at least until he fills out more in order to bang down low for rebounds in the ACC. His shooting is my biggest concern and if that never comes around he's going to get recruited over or forced to transfer.

I honestly think this Syracuse team can get back to the tournament next year if we bring in a quality grad transfer guard and a grad transfer wing. We have two games against BC, Pitt, Wake Forest, and Virginia next year, home games against Clemson, NC State, and VT and road games against Florida St. and Georgia Tech. Most of the aforementioned teams are either due to take a step back or will at least be near our level of competitiveness.

If we bring in Carter, he could give us 5-10 minutes of high energy basketball off the bench next year. If we bring in a ready-to-play grad transfer, we could be a top 8 ACC team -- maybe even better.

Didn't you hear though from all the chicken littles on here? The sky is falling! We are set to be the worst team in the ACC! It's impossible for players to actually get better! Yada yada yada...

Didn't you hear though from all the chicken littles on here? The sky is falling! We are set to be the worst team in the ACC! It's impossible for players to actually get better! Yada yada yada...

What do you got against chicken littles? I think KFC makes them quite tasty!

I say its a win win. We get a guy who would most likely accept our offer. Stays in NY and is familiar with Griffin.
He is a 3/4 year player depending on his development.
His uncle is Jay Z. That is a huge deal to young recruits. Could help us land some guys down the road.

To me this would be a good investment.
But why not go after say, Antwann Jones, for '18 much harder? He's a higher rated player, more likely to be ready to play immediately (even compared to Carter as a soph), already has much better offensive skills and fills the SG hole we'll have. Carter is a tweener at this point, with no outside shot at all. While he'd probably be a solid player for us and be a 4-yr guy, we have a number of developmental types already.

Yeah, a potential Jay-Z/SU relationship would be cool and potentially a big deal, but why would we expect that to be anything at this point? Is there any indication Jay-Z has any desire to be seen as part of his nephew's college play?

Say we go Carter Tucker and a 5th year guy. Battle and Thompson go pro and then we get 1 back would give us 4 ships for 2018. That is plenty big enough. Plus outside chance Tucker goes pro would give us 5.

The chances of Thompson being good enough to leave after this year is extremely minimal. He made a bunch of mid-range jumpers and now he's leaving as a soph to play what position in the NBA? And now Tucker being mentioned, good lord folks.

The chances of Thompson being good enough to leave after this year is extremely minimal. He made a bunch of mid-range jumpers and now he's leaving as a soph to play what position in the NBA? And now Tucker being mentioned, good lord folks.

He doesn't have to be good enough. Half the kids who declare are not good enough. But, if I'm an NBA scout, and
I see a 6'10" kid with the offensive skills he has, I'm taking a real close look at him. And he'd play the same position
Lydon is going to play, the stretch four. I'd almost certainly plan on him looking at the pros, especially if he gives SU
a 15/7 line, which won't be too difficult for him to achieve.

kev

He doesn't have to be good enough. Half the kids who declare are not good enough. But, if I'm an NBA At their request, this network is being blocked from this site., and
I see a 6'10" kid with the offensive skills he has, I'm taking a real close look at him. And he'd play the same position
Lydon is going to play, the stretch four. I'd almost certainly plan on him looking at the pros, especially if he gives SU

kev
Thompson is a better offensive player than Lydon. He has more skills and can actually make moves to get his own shot and score.

But he's a lot more robotic/mechanical in his movements. Hopefully, that will improve this year. He's not overly athletic either, but again, that can improve. I don't know how much Lydon's NBA prospects were impacted by defense, but you'd have to think that TT would be dinged there, at least as a comparison.

If TT does go 15/7 this year, improves defensively and looks a little more fluid, it's pretty easy seeing him leave early. Even a 12/6 type season with visible improvements would be more than enough to raise his stock. But it'll really come down to his athleticism and ability to look like an NBA athlete...

The kid is a 3-star recruit. Not a knock on him at all, but I don't see anyone suggesting he'll be a one and done type player. He has good athleticism, but he needs a lot of improvement on his shooting range and his frame before he can even consider professional basketball.

And just because we are lacking depth doesn't mean there aren't other options. There are still plenty of grad transfers that I'm sure we could get involved with at any moment and be serious contenders. They may not be Andrew White caliber, in fact they won't be, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue them. We need players who can come in and play right away next season. We already have 4 freshman, 2 sophomores, and 2 juniors. That's plenty of young players to develop for one year. Not only can grad transfers give us the depth and minutes we need for next season, but they are also only a one year commitment.

Sometimes deferring a scholarship is a good idea. For example, had we deferred Obokoh's scholarship a year, perhaps we could have had a chance at Thomas Bryant. Instead, once Howard, Richardson, Lydon, and Diagne signed, we ran out of scholarships to offer and couldn't get Bryant even if we wanted him. I think this is another situation where deferring makes more sense, especially if we miss out on Tucker. This is Syracuse basketball we are talking about. Syracuse shouldn't have to be falling back and taking what comes our way. We should choose our players and they should choose us.

As for the 2018 class, it sounds like there are a number of SG/SF that we can get involved with and have a good shot at landing. Antwann Jones is retweeting Syracuse on twitter and has the Griff connection. There's a kid named Buddy Boeheim who may have a connection as well. Jeenathan Williams is flying under the radar but I really like him and he said the Syracuse offer was a dream come true. Sounds like we are going hard after the Brewster boys in Sidney Wilson and Nate Roberts and that's been a Syracuse pipeline that hopefully we can tap back in to. We could ramp it up for Ayala, Swider, Carmody, Ryan, Policelli, or a few others and have a decent shot at landing any of them. It's not like we would be deferring blindly with no expectation of what wings are available next year.

This is largely irrelevant. When the time comes, JB will make room on the roster for the kids he wants in 2018, particularly if he REALLY likes the 2018 kids he has signed.

Hop just offered Shittu, and Antoine and Scotty Lewis as well.
Hop's going to kill it with recruiting for UW. Whether or not he can win and has the in-game coaching ability remains to be seen, but I think he'll get the players...

Hop just offered Shittu, and Antoine and Scotty Lewis as well.

Will be interesting to see how many east coast kids he can get to go across the country. Rice already has some success in that though when he would get kids like Goodluck Okonoboh or Morgan over to UNLV among others.

If TT does go 15/7 this year, improves defensively and looks a little more fluid, it's pretty easy seeing him leave early. Even a 12/6 type season with visible improvements would be more than enough to raise his stock. But it'll really come down to his athleticism and ability to look like an NBA athlete...
Since 09-10 in ACC conference play, only seven freshman big men have put up more than 100 FGA and shot better than 50% in conference play. Thompson and 6 others. Two went one and done (Jon Isaac & Okafor), two stayed four years (Meeks and Devin Thomas) and one went pro after his sophomore year (TJ Warren). One more was this season with Thompson. I don't see Thompson as a SF like Warren or Isaac and he's nowhere close to Okafor. Meeks and Thomas would be likely be better comps, but neither of those guys shot much outside of the paint.

So, yeah, it could happen.

He doesn't have to be good enough. Half the kids who declare are not good enough. But, if I'm an NBA scout, and

kev

Thompson is a better offensive player than Lydon. He has more skills and can actually make moves to get his own shot and score.

But he's a lot more robotic/mechanical in his movements. Hopefully, that will improve this year. He's not overly athletic either, but again, that can improve. I don't know how much Lydon's NBA prospects were impacted by defense, but you'd have to think that TT would be dinged there, at least as a comparison.

Oh, the guy that made 3 3s all year and shot 18% from downtown while providing 0 rim protection or defense is going to be an NBA 1st rounder as a stretch 4. Cool.

IMG_3387.PNG
He liked my tweet that he should be wearing Orange this year!

If the staff is waiting on Jordan Tucker's decision to decide if they want to offer Nahziah Carter, than I'd rather not see an offer to Carter at all. We should only offer players because they are Syracuse caliber and we think they will be a good fit in the system- not because we are missing out on our first or second options and have to settle for lesser recruits.

Carter looks to have great athleticism and I think he could do fine as a SG at the top of the zone, but we already have Tyus Battle there. Right now, we need a SF who can play on the wing defensively and even for as athletic as Carter is, I'm not sure if he has the size to compete in the ACC for his first year or two.

Offensively he is one-dimensional. His entire game is getting to the rim. But will he be able to get to the rim when he's going up against ACC defenders, and more importantly, does he have the toughness to finish?

If we got Nahziah Carter, he'd be stuck behind Battle as a SG and Moyer/Brissett as a SF next season. Tucker is still the #1 priority, but if that doesn't work out, I'd rather us go after either Dolezaj or grad transfers with our sights on adding a high caliber 2018 SF.

But, but, he's available. Why let whether he can actually play here get in the way of the decision to make him an offer.

If we use every 17 scholie (we won't), we could end up with just 2 available in 18.

If we use them on incoming freshman. But this, is another reason why a grad transfer or two is probably not a bad idea. We get someone better equipped to help next year in our immediate need situation and someone who will be moving on allowing the scholarship to be reallocated in 18 to a guy who is a more traditional Syracuse caliber player.

I think many of us are suffering from commit withdrawal. I know I am. But think about team needs and then check off the boxes that Carter provides. Athleticism...check. High powered family...check. Shooting...nope. Shooting...nope. Shooting...nope. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to stash athletes and develop them. We need a shooter at the three and a point guard. He doesn't suit either of those needs. I want a commit as badly as anyone, and I was ready to jump on this guy, but I don't think he is the right fit, right now.

I just really have a good feeling about this guy. Would love to see us offer him!

I think many of us are suffering from commit withdrawal. I know I am. But think about team needs and then check off the boxes that Carter provides. Athleticism...check. High powered family...check. Shooting...nope. Shooting...nope. Shooting...nope. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to stash athletes and develop them. We need a shooter at the three and a point guard. He doesn't suit either of those needs. I want a commit as badly as anyone, and I was ready to jump on this guy, but I don't think he is the right fit, right now.

Good post. I disagree.

My contention is we need to try to get three players. He could be one of those three. If not, one of the two, if it comes to that. We have to cast a net out, not just hope we get Tucker and Ayala and some TBA fifth-year guy. I know he's not a shooter but he can play.

Agreed. He seems like another Brissett/Moyer type. Don't think he improves the team much if he signed. Shooting and PG is our main need.

Good post. I disagree.

My contention is we need to try to get three players. He could be one of those three. If not, one of the two, if it comes to that. We have to cast a net out, not just hope we get Tucker and Ayala and some TBA fifth-year guy. I know he's not a shooter but he can play.

I'm all for 3 guys as long as one is a grad transfer that will clear a ship immediately. That is probably the biggest advantage to the Grad guys. You can fill a need late and know that the spot is still open the following season.

Good post. I disagree.

I just wrote about 500 words and then erased it all. I don't know if it is because it is Friday or I am just tired, but I am getting a headache going through the possible scenarios. I guess I am just going to trust the coaches.

I'm all for 3 guys as long as one is a grad transfer that will clear a ship immediately. That is probably the biggest advantage to the Grad guys. You can fill a need late and know that the spot is still open the following season.

Fine. I'm not sure anyone is confident we will land Tucker and Ayala, so who are our other high school options? Nahziah could be a good one, despite not being a good outside shooter. We need guys to get to the rim too. That could be a strength next year with OB, MM and TB.