Class of 2017 - SF Nahziah Carter to Washington | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Nahziah Carter to Washington

IMO we are in trouble if we don't. Go grad transfer route if we have to. To get back on topic, I do think Carter would be a good add. :)

Yep I like Carters game the issue this season is weather or not he's redundant with the other parts we have. As everyone has mentioned our biggest needs are shooting (specifically at the 3) and ready for prime time PG.

Problem is even a 2-and-done doesn't leave a spot open for a 2018 recruit. Some think that's a problem. I'm of the believe we should feel urgent to improve our team for this coming year. Got to make the tournament.

These things usually shake out when we need open spots. We are well stocked at the 4 and 5 but thin everywhere else.

Problem is even a 2-and-done doesn't leave a spot open for a 2018 recruit. Some think that's a problem. I'm of the belief we should feel urgent to improve our team for this coming year. Got to make the tournament.

I remember not long ago we use to debate if we were ranked high enough in top 25. Now we talk about just making the tournament. We need Carter

In a worst case senario in which Ayala amd Tucker go elsewhere, I'd take the foreign kid over Carter and add 2 grad transfers. I think we need to try and be competitive next year and a couple transfers would do that, JMHO

I liked a lot of the A-list guys in 2017, too. None of them committed to Syracuse. :(

Duke, KU, and UK don't recruit with open spots until April when their guys transfer or declare. Neither does 'Zona. I understand the general ickiness of that tactic, but during a roster crunch, Syracuse tied up what amounts to 7 scholarships (one for two seasons and one for five seasons) for centers who provided next to nothing (and trust me, I don't say that out of spite or dislike for those kids, but it's just how it shook out). The sanctions suck and the scholarship penalties suck, but Syracuse can't shoot themselves in the foot at the same time. Chukwu should/could graduate next year and if he can't beat out a freshman and a PF who can't play the defense for center minutes then I don't think there's much of a reason for him to stay on a shorthanded team. Howard is an enigma and if he can't perform after three seasons then he's another guy they can recruit over. Add a 5th year this season and they only lose that scholarship for one year. There's three spots and that doesn't include a Tyus and (less likely) Thompson early departure.
This is the crux of the issue. Many top 20 kids, and even those down to the top 50, fully expect to be One-And-Done. And, if that's your expectation, you want to play for the programs that are perceived to best "prepare" them for the league. So, they are waiting to see what openings exist at UK, Duke, etc.; and that is not finalized until the spring, when rosters are (somewhat) finalized. So, some of SU's targets are willing to put the Syracuse offer in their back pocket and hold out for the "bigger" offer. Adjusting to this new reality has been difficult.

I think this kid is getting better and better...looks to be just scratching the surface of what he's going to become. I don't want to say this because God knows people on here will take it as me saying he is the next Russ westbrook but I can see some similarities watching this quick tape of him. That quick pull up jumper and the way he attacks the rim. He seems like he has elite athleticism at getting to the rim at will against his competition and seems to finish pretty good..jump shot and long ball look good on here too but I know it's been talked about that he needs quite a bit of work in that department...kid definitely has some talent, will be sad to see him continue to blow up and then go elsewhere. I like his game a lot

Just a thought... would offering Nahz in 2017 help us land Jeenathan in 2018? Are the two friends? I don't think it's a waste of a scholarship either because the guy is a solid 3 star prospect, with an evolving game. I know he's not the PG we want, but EA doesn't appear to be reclassifying. Even Tucker is a coin flip. Also, isn't Nahz a relative of some big rapper? Could this also help with recruiting especially if he'd perform at Orange Madness?

I'm not saying I'm sold Nahz is the solution, he might not be. But there are intangibles to consider with him.

Would be nice to have both that's for sure...they both play aggressive which we could use instead of the passing the ball back and forth around half court and not do anything until there's no time left in the shot clock. I'm not sure which one I like better if I had to pick 1...i think jeenathan may be a little farther along in his game right now but I'm not sure who has more upside. I like the way they both play that I do know!