Class of 2018 - SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH) | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost by 1, Indiana team getting every call down the stretch at home.

Bazley fouled out with 4 to go in OT. Didn't get much insight about his jumpshot, but he has a Billy Owens caliber handle.

Gettin the out of town treatment by the refs. Anyone who has played any sport knows how this works!

Bazley showed everything we could hope for tonight. His feel for the open floor game may be the basis of running more next season. He needs more strength (most HS kids do). But he can score, rebound, block shots, and pass it. And, he seems to have a very good understanding for the game.

I think he can initiate the half court offense from the SF position.

So talented, and so well-suited to the SU system.

Bazley showed everything we could hope for tonight. His feel for the open floor game may be the basis of running more next season. He needs more strength (most HS kids do). But he can score, rebound, block shots, and pass it. And, he seems to have a very good understanding for the game.

I think he can initiate the half court offense from the SF position.

So talented, and so well-suited to the SU system.

This summed it up perfectly. I'll add to it.

I loved how he looks up after getting a rebound or an outlet pass. Throws the long pass very well. Very smooth. Can be a great help-side shot blocker. FT stroke looked solid. Team player. Wasn't trying to "get his." Took what the defense gave him.

My favorite thing to watch was DB initiating the offense. Passing off, then immediately diving to the post. He showed nice touch inside the paint. I'd love for him to develop a baby hook. That said, he looks like he will create some matchup problems.

He really does need to get stronger. His post game won't be that effective on the next level if he doesn't add some weight. He will get pushed out of the lane.

Really hope he get to SU early, gets some chemistry with his teammates and spends a lot of time in the weight room.

Last edited:
I don't know if his outside shot will rise to the level of Wallace's. I think his game is more comparable to Billy Owens's.

If memory serves, Wallace became a great shooter as an upperclassman. I'm not sure why people are under the impression DB is not an outside shooter. I think he's been solid. Didn't show that off tonight but he has a nice stroke.

I've seen that one. I'm always trying to compare players to Tayshaun Prince, so I'm all for that one. As I said in the other thread, he compares his game to Jayson Tatum.
Tatum ended up being okay I guess:).

I don’t know who the comparison is...all I know is he was very impressive. Didn’t try to do too much, took what the defense gave him, and when his team needed a bucket he’s got a next level to get to. He’s sure gonna be fun to watch. Really knows the game well.

Darius going with a head band. Strong.
1D152549-40CA-4F41-A4DF-91759A10F077.jpeg

Was Melo this skinny his senior year? Baz looks built more like donte green.

Melo only really 'bulked up' his Sr. year in HS - prior to that he was about as skinny as Baze is now.
If you just think of DBaze as being the next Hakim instead of the next Melo in terms of build, then no worries.

Skillset-wise, I think Bazley has more guard/handling skills than Melo did at this stage - which in today's game, is probably more important than an extra 10-15lbs or whatever.

It doesn't really matter if he's still on the skinnier side when he gets here, since it's very likely that OSB will be the other forward, and you can call OSB the 4 and DBaze the 3 - even though they both have a lot of similar skills.

Melo only really 'bulked up' his Sr. year in HS - prior to that he was about as skinny as Baze is now.
If you just think of DBaze as being the next Hakim instead of the next Melo in terms of build, then no worries.

Skillset-wise, I think Bazley has more guard/handling skills than Melo did at this stage - which in today's game, is probably more important than an extra 10-15lbs or whatever.

It doesn't really matter if he's still on the skinnier side when he gets here, since it's very likely that OSB will be the other forward, and you can call OSB the 4 and DBaze the 3 - even though they both have a lot of similar skills.

Agreed. I think summer before college Melo hit the weights too a bit. I also think Bazely would be maybe the best ballhandler on this current team. He’s really terrific with the ball going full speed and weaving through traffic. Crazy for a 6’9 guy.

Agreed. I think summer before college Melo hit the weights too a bit. I also think Bazely would be maybe the best ballhandler on this current team. He’s really terrific with the ball going full speed and weaving through traffic. Crazy for a 6’9 guy.

Imagine the defensive lineup if Baze can play some point of Baze / Battle up front, Brisset / Dolezaj at forward, and Chukwu in the pivot. Enormous.

Bazely is a terrific ball handler and passer. I'm not suggesting that he's as good, but I think he's going to be a lot like Ben Simmons in terms of versatility [hopefully a better shooter]. Our offensive is going to be substantially diversified adding him to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom