Class of 2019 - SF Precious Achiuwa (NJ/Montverde) to Memphis | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SF Precious Achiuwa (NJ/Montverde) to Memphis

And...???
A lot of schools must be figuring a NC is worth a few sanctions, especially after seeing what went down at PSU, UNC, Auburn, et al.
The feds case against programs was supposed to be the enema for college sports, but so far it’s looking like another false alarm. So why NOT cheat? Serious question.

Tell me what Penn State won. I'm waiting.

In my opinion This is what is wrong with college basketball as good as Penny Hardaway was as a player having the number 1 overall recruiting class seems crazy to me. No way he didn’t cheat to get this kind of a class that would take years for some coaches to acquire.

2 National titles with Sandusky on their staff.

Penn State didn't cheat. Sandusky was a sexual predator. NCAA reneged on their punishment because it worked and they didn't want a national name to sink further than it did during the two years they were sanctioned.

Auburn didn't cheat. Mississippi State cheated and it blew up in their face. Cecil took the money and ran.

Penn State didn't cheat. Sandusky was a s e xual predator. NCAA reneged on their punishment because it worked and they didn't want a national name to sink further than it did during the two years they were sanctioned.

Auburn didn't cheat. Mississippi State cheated and it blew up in their face. Cecil took the money and ran.
Fair enough, you're right that PSU didn't "cheat" per se, but they were part of egregious acts and got nothing more than a slap on the wrist, not unlike UNC, Louisville, etc. Also, during that time they cheated, Miss. St was ranked #1 at one point, with the top recruiting class in the country. That might be a risk worth taking for some schools, since whatever sanctions Miss St received proved negligible in its impact on their program
Fact is, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Arizona, and damn near every SEC football member cheats, yet are never seriously taken to task by the NCAA. If they wanted to find something they would. But they don't, so the hypocritical "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" charade continues.

This is a thread about Achiuwa. Take all this unrelated stuff elsewhere. Thanks.

What happens first ... Precious gets suspended or transfers?

Fair enough, you're right that PSU didn't "cheat" per se, but they were part of egregious acts and got nothing more than a slap on the wrist, not unlike UNC, Louisville, etc. Also, during that time they cheated, Miss. St was ranked #1 at one point, with the top recruiting class in the country. That might be a risk worth taking for some schools, since whatever sanctions Miss St received proved negligible in its impact on their program
Fact is, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Arizona, and damn near every SEC football member cheats, yet are never seriously taken to task by the NCAA. If they wanted to find something they would. But they don't, so the hypocritical "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" charade continues.
The NCAA doesn’t have subpoena power. It’s investigatory hands are tied in a lot of these cases. Except for UNC. They had the goods on them and they didn’t bring the hammer down because UNC argued it wasn’t the NCAA’s jurisdiction because all students, not just athletes, were eligible for the classes in question. So athletes weren’t receiving improper benefits. The NCAA made a huge mistake in accepting that fellacious argument, and other schools were justifiably outraged.

The NCAA doesn’t have subpoena power. It’s investigatory hands are tied in a lot of these cases. Except for UNC. They had the goods on them and they didn’t bring the hammer down because UNC argued it wasn’t the NCAA’s jurisdiction because all students, not just athletes, were eligible for the classes in question. So athletes weren’t receiving improper benefits. The NCAA made a huge mistake in accepting that fellacious argument, and other schools were justifiably outraged.
I beg to differ. They had no problems slapping sanctions on programs for mostly penny-ante ishit, but whenever it comes time to REALLY make a move, their “hands are tied”? Sorry ain’t buying it.
They’re not cracking down because as we saw w/ SMU football, there’s a good chance meaningful sanctions can kill a program. They know that, and the membership knows that. I’m not saying schools oughta throw the rule book out the window, but IMHO, it’s a viable option of risk vs reward. Create plausible deniability, and cheat away.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. They had no problems slapping sanctions on programs for mostly penny-ante ishit, but whenever it comes time to REALLY make a move, their “hands are tied”? Sorry ain’t buying it.
They’re not cracking down because as we saw w/ SMU football, there’s a good chance meaningful sanctions can kill a program. They know that, and the membership knows that. I’m not saying schools oughta throw the rule book out the window, but IMHO, it’s a viable option of risk vs reward. Create plausible deniability, and cheat away.

And NEVER, EVER self-report.

the ncaa does not have subpoena power but I am guessing failing to cooperate with a ncaa inquiry, in it of itself, is a ncaa violation.

In my opinion This is what is wrong with college basketball as good as Penny Hardaway was as a player having the number 1 overall recruiting class seems crazy to me. No way he didn’t cheat to get this kind of a class that would take years for some coaches to acquire.
I don't think he cheated to get those players. i think he is sincere and his heart is in the right place. He has no reason to cheat he's already rich and famous. he really has no reason to even be working at all...

I think the majority of big-time college coaches (all?) did not play as star NBA players ...especially not recently.

I think the "blue-bloods" and "legendary college coaches" are in trouble if more NBA stars/former players jump into NCAA coaching a la Penny and Juwan Howard...and I think that's what we are going to see in the near future.

The kids want to go to the NBA and identify with guys like Penny (and Mike Miller, etc) or Juwan etc...

I think Penny telling a kid "listen I was a top NBA player and I can help you get there, too...I KNOW what it takes b/c I was there...Coach Cal, Coach K, etc NEVER were"...would have a lot of sway to these kids.

All these NCAA players care about is making the NBA...if they can play under NBA stars in NCAA I believe the majority of them will...

Last edited:
Even if he is cheating at least the players are getting compensated. I, for one, am happy he’s killing it on the recruiting trail. Get these 5 stars out of the Durham and Chapel Hill and into the AAC

the ncaa does not have subpoena power but I am guessing failing to cooperate with a ncaa inquiry, in it of itself, is a ncaa violation.
But the people they’d want to talk to, who have the goods that these coaches are paying players, aren’t required to testify because the ncaa can’t subpeona them.

im not sure why, but i feel like precious would benefit from additional experience in college. I could see him developing into a nice player. I could see him flaming out early in the nba.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom