Class of 2017 - SF Sidney Wilson (NY) to UConn | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Sidney Wilson (NY) to UConn

Francis03

All American
6'7 wing from my alma mater St. Ray's. Very athletic, big time shot blocker, and has range from deep. Red Autry has checked him out a few times before and he'll definitely be one to monitor. I'll have more on him when I do a big write up on all of the key players that I've watched this season.

Francis: Do you remember a couple of guys at St. Ray's in the early '90s (maybe mid-'90s), who were on my all-name team: Ponce De Leon...and Scientific Mapp? I covered a game for WNBC Sports when they went against Felipe Lopez and Rice. Scientific's brother, Majestic, was very good too.

Did you play at St. Ray's?

Francis: Do you remember a couple of guys at St. Ray's in the early '90s (maybe mid-'90s), who were on my all-name team: Ponce De Leon...and Scientific Mapp? I covered a game for WNBC Sports when they went against Felipe Lopez and Rice. Scientific's brother, Majestic, was very good too.

Did you play at St. Ray's?
I remember those guys. Majestic had graduated in the class before I had gotten there and everybody spoke really well about him, not just in a b-ball sense but as a person. Really unfortunate and sad that injuries basically ruined the promising future that he had.

Not sure if you ever covered Christ The King around the time you're talking. I was always told this interesting story on how Lamar Odom blew up in the mid-90's there. So basically he had played JV all season during his soph year and they brought him along on varsity after. He never scored double digits and was just role player off the bench. They play Ray's in the championship game and Odom goes off for over 30 and everybody is like What, who is this kid lol? Didn't take long for him to be a household name nationally after that.

Nah man, never played unless we're talking intramurals;).

I remember those guys. Majestic had graduated in the class before I had gotten there and everybody spoke really well about him, not just in a b-ball sense but as a person. Really unfortunate and sad that injuries basically ruined the promising future that he had.

Not sure if you ever covered Christ The King around the time you're talking. I was always told this interesting story on how Lamar Odom blew up in the mid-90's there. So basically he had played JV all season during his soph year and they brought him along on varsity after. He never scored double digits and was just role player off the bench. They play Ray's in the championship game and Odom goes off for over 30 and everybody is like What, who is this kid lol? Didn't take long for him to be a household name nationally after that.

I didn't know that about Odom--knew he was a NYC kid but not all that stuff.

Nah, I was just a production assistant for a short time at Channel 4 sports. I wasn't really covering high school hoops regularly. I usually was paid to log games and help put together the weekend sports packages. I did have some cool interview spots: I got to interview Providence players after their Big East tourney win ('94?), as well as post game interviews in the NY Rangers locker room. The time I saw the Ray's-Rice game I got to interview Felipe Lopez' coach--they wouldn't let us interview Felipe. We shot the game too...pretty cool. Len Berman used parts of my interview and the footage.

http://www.givengobasketball.com/sidney-wilson-article
My heart goes out to Wilson and I wish him nothing but success towards his future in memory of his mother who recently passed away.

Here goes an evaluation of him from a game that I was able to watch of him earlier in the year.

Wilson was the tallest player on the court, but very skinny at around 6'7 175(tops). His stat line that I charted was 22pts, 7-13 fg, 3-6 3pt, 5-11 ft, 8blks, 2rbs, 2ast, 2stls, 1to. It was impressive considering that he had to sit out for the majority of the 2nd quarter because of foul trouble. Offensively he showed a nice quick release from deep and is capable of hitting perimeter shots with ease. Also had several nice drives to the hoop and must have had about three and-1 finishes. Had a missed dunk and struggled from the line, so he'll really fit in with SU lol ;). Was a terror blocking shots inside and showed good awareness/timing doing so. Lack of strength was evident, as he let several rebounds get knocked away from his hands and he would get blocked out easily. When you consider how young he is and the maturation process that he'll go through over the next few years, you have to love what he could become and develop into down the line.

Hey Francis: I think you answered this before but how did you become a Syracuse fan. Did you go to school at Syracuse.

In one of our previous conversations you mentioned that St Ray's guard Caheim Brown, a 6'2" guard, looked promising. As of January he had a couple of low level offers. Is this still your take on him?

Did you, Clifton?
No i didn't either but went to school in Oswego and moved to Syracuse afterwards. Found an old photo and saw i had a Joe Morris Syracuse football postet on my dorm wall.

SUNY Albany in the house!
It's funny that my high school was part of SUNY Albany and i took some classes there and even though i graduated from a state school, i still root for Siena when the two match up. I do root for Albany to do well besides that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom