Class of 2017 - SF Sidney Wilson (NY) to UConn | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Sidney Wilson (NY) to UConn

I watched Brewster's game last night in the NEPSAC championship and Wilson is very much a 4. Good player and all that don't get me wrong but if we bring him in for 2017 a little bit of a head scratcher on the numbers game.
I see him listed on recruiting sites as 170 pounds and a small forward...

I love Hop and been a big fan of his for awhile but the way he's approaching his first recruiting class is making me a little nervous.

Please tell me I'm missing something.

Our 2017-18 roster will have the below crop of potential returning players:
  • 1 sophomore 4/5
  • 1 freshmen 4/5
  • 2 (potentially 3 with Wilson?) freshmen 4's
  • 1 sophomore guard who will probably leave after the season
  • 1 junior guard who is 50/50 on if he'll be back with the program for 2017/18
  • TBD freshmen guard recruits who are low 4 star/3 star guys
So going into 2018-19 we'll most likely have 2 sophomore guards that realistically would be developed and brought along then asked to be big contributors as upperclassmen and 4-5 front court players.

Yet this is our list of offers out to combo/lead guards:
  • Quinerly - best prospect by far for us and plays in NJ but staff didn't go see him play this year.
  • Carmody - 83 in composite, plays in PA and staff has seen him a few times this year
  • David Duke - 174 in composite
And we have 8 offers out to guys who are listed as forwards.

Again, please tell me I'm missing something.
I think we are going very hard after Carmody and he knows it. He's also looking to make a decision before his senior year, so next many months. Don't know why Quinerly has been neglected. That's insane.

I love Hop and been a big fan of his for awhile but the way he's approaching his first recruiting class is making me a little nervous.

Please tell me I'm missing something.

Our 2017-18 roster will have the below crop of potential returning players:
  • 1 sophomore 4/5
  • 1 freshmen 4/5
  • 2 (potentially 3 with Wilson?) freshmen 4's
  • 1 sophomore guard who will probably leave after the season
  • 1 junior guard who is 50/50 on if he'll be back with the program for 2017/18
  • TBD freshmen guard recruits who are low 4 star/3 star guys
So going into 2018-19 we'll most likely have 2 sophomore guards that realistically would be developed and brought along then asked to be big contributors as upperclassmen and 4-5 front court players.

Yet this is our list of offers out to combo/lead guards:
  • Quinerly - best prospect by far for us and plays in NJ but staff didn't go see him play this year.
  • Carmody - 83 in composite, plays in PA and staff has seen him a few times this year
  • David Duke - 174 in composite
And we have 8 offers out to guys who are listed as forwards.

Again, please tell me I'm missing something.

Have we offered Prentiss Hubb? If we haven't we should. He's right in Red's wheelhouse(DC). Is Slater a 2 or a 3?

^
Looks right to me. Don't get what we are doing and sick of people saying "they trust the staff."

We could win a boat load of games in an exciting fashion with guys like Sidney Wilson, Louis King, Quinnerly, Naz, Muhammad and a few others from NY/NJ.
It be great to stack our roster with NY/NJ kids. I think it adds a sense of pride, especially when playing in a southern conference. NY kids are tough SOB's too. Similar to philly ballers.

Another dumb thing is the staff apparently lumping 3's and 4's together as wings. There is a huge difference between a 3 and a 4. We learned that the hard way this year with Lydon.

It be great to stack our roster with NY/NJ kids. I think it adds a sense of pride, especially when playing in a southern conference. NY kids are tough SOB's too. Similar to philly ballers.
Yeah, and I am not saying that we never go outside NY/NJ, but there is a ton of talent coming from the city and surrounding areas. And much of it is getting refined in prep schools. But, we better get on these kids earlier than we have been.

Another dumb thing is the staff apparently lumping 3's and 4's together as wings. There is a huge difference between a 3 and a 4. We learned that the hard way this year with Lydon.

Yeah, and then you end up with a 2 a the SF position in the zone who is completely not capable of rebounding.

The only thing I can think of is they don't even know who they will sign for next year yet so that's why they are slow getting 2018 offers out? Either way we are in a bad spot right now. Hello mediocrity.

Not sure on his weight but I've seen him play and think he's a real nice prospect, however, at this point if he's asked to play out on the perimeter offensively I don't think that's putting him in the best position to succeed.

Have we offered Prentiss Hubb? If we haven't we should. He's right in Red's wheelhouse(DC). Is Slater a 2 or a 3?

Maybe and it just hasn't leaked out to the public. I did a quick twitter search and found nothing but $cout has us as a program with interest but no other site has us listed or any signs of an offer being given out.

Seems like a guy who is well regarded and in our wheelhouse geographically like you said so hopefully we're involved.

Not sure on his weight but I've seen him play and think he's a real nice prospect, however, at this point if he's asked to play out on the perimeter offensively I don't think that's putting him in the best position to succeed.
I haven't seen him play but it would be a lot to ask a 170 pound kid to play power forward in the ACC.

At this point just having a forward that is really quick and athletic to play on the wing of the zone would be a big help. If he is a slasher, Kris Joseph type, he would complement Lydon pretty well I think.

Is he a slasher type? What kind of player is he?

I haven't seen him play but it would be a lot to ask a 170 pound kid to play power forward in the ACC.

At this point just having a forward that is really quick and athletic to play on the wing of the zone would be a big help. If he is a slasher, Kris Joseph type, he would complement Lydon pretty well I think.

Is he a slasher type? What kind of player is he?

Watching him last night, he's still lanky but my guess is maybe the 170 number was from a year or so ago? I'm not sure but he didn't look like he was 170. At his height that's crazy thin. I could see him at the least being built like Roberson or similar to Brissett.

He looks like a long, athletic kid who is a pretty good shot blocker from the weak side and probably does his best work around the rim on offense. His size and athleticism will make him a contributor on the glass and give good activity to be a presence. Can probably become more skilled as he gets older but right now looks like much of his production comes from his athleticism as opposed to being a great shooter or having great moves off the dribble. I'm not sure I remember him from what I saw ever catching the ball on the perimeter as he was mostly setting screens up top or flashing to the high post. If he can develop a skill set like Joseph did here then by all means bring him in.

Again, I don't mean this to be critical of him at all as a prospect. He's got a ton of potential and would be a good guy to bring in. My questions are more of where does he fit in to the current construct of the roster and where our needs are.

Last edited:
In reading that article, it showed a tweet from Jeff Goodman. He states that it is 36 feet between the five starters. Is he terrible at math, or does 7'6" + 7'2" + 6'10" + 6'10" + 6'8" = 35'0"?

Gotta be a typo and he meant 35 feet, no?

Sid projects as a small ball 4. He lacks the ball handling and playmaking skills to play the 3. He's very athletic, long, and can hit an occasional 3-pt shot. I have concerns about how effective he could be in the half court tho.

Sid projects as a small ball 4. He lacks the ball handling and playmaking skills to play the 3. He's very athletic, long, and can hit an occasional 3-pt shot. I have concerns about how effective he could be in the half court tho.
Is he James Southerland II?

Nah. He's a slasher than a sniper.
Sounds like a good athlete to have on the roster. And one that could play some minutes early and develop his skills over his four years in Orange.

Nope. Most assume he's a lock to Maryland.

Assuming is bad for people's health. Surprised we don't have an offer out for Kiyon Boyd either. That kid is already built like a man. Jalen Carey is another kid in NY that has Uconn and Nova interest. We are going to get left in the dust again if we don't show some of these kids more attention.

^
Looks right to me. Don't get what we are doing and sick of people saying "they trust the staff."

I genuinely am dumbfounded in their approach to the 2018 class. I don't understand it and that it's the year directly following the 2017 disaster for guards makes it even more worrisome.

Sid Wilson? Has he regressed a bit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom