Class of 2018 - SF Zion Williamson (SC) to Duke | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Zion Williamson (SC) to Duke

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Havent seen a thread yet so I'm assuming he's not coming this far north but living in Greenville, this guy is the talk of all South Carolina at Spartanburg Day.

You know the bandwagon is real when Drake wears your jersey.

I love this kid, he is a beast. I don't think we get Isaiah Stewart, but he is like Williamson lite.

His dunks are unbelievable, but I kinda wonder if dunking is all he is and he'll flame out quickly in college. I saw he's roughly a 20% 3 point shooter at the moment and a poor FT shooter as well and I know he struggles to create off the dribble.

His dunks are unbelievable, but I kinda wonder if dunking is all he is and he'll flame out quickly in college. I saw he's roughly a 20% 3 point shooter at the moment and a poor FT shooter as well and I know he struggles to create off the dribble.
If those numbers are true and he really struggles to create off the dribble and dunking his only thing, it really makes me question the rankings of these high school players even more so, since he is listed all over but in the top ten overall in his class if not higher!

If those numbers are true and he really struggles to create off the dribble and dunking his only thing, it really makes me question the rankings of these high school players even more so, since he is listed all over but in the top ten overall in his class if not higher!
I already question them. I see a lot of Mickey D's players out there this year not doing much of anything.

According to MaxPreps, he's attempted 1,297 shots over the past three seasons, but only 104 of those are 3 pointers, and he's made only 21% of those 3's.

332/519 from the FT line (64%).

And according to DraftExpress, as of like 6 months ago, he was effective on straight-drives to the hoop but not much else. To me, his ranking seems to be a projection that he'll develop his skills to eventually combine with his absurd athleticism.

According to MaxPreps, he's attempted 1,297 shots over the past three seasons, but only 104 of those are 3 pointers, and he's made only 21% of those 3's.

332/519 from the FT line (64%).

And according to DraftExpress, as of like 6 months ago, he was effective on straight-drives to the hoop but not much else. To me, his ranking seems to be a projection that he'll develop his skills to eventually combine with his absurd athleticism.
So basically, similar to the athletes we have recruited in the past. All good enough to show themselves off and then head to the league where they hope to get better, but not good enough to really help win us more games at the college level, in the one or two years they are in Orange. No thanks...fun to watch, but we've seen where that gets us...PASS!

So basically, similar to the athletes we have recruited in the past. All good enough to show themselves off and then head to the league where they hope to get better, but not good enough to really help win us more games at the college level, in the one or two years they are in Orange. No thanks...fun to watch, but we've seen where that gets us...PASS!

Basically, but even the Jerami Grant types we've had here don't hold a candle to this guy's athleticism. He's truly a freak, and a physically mature one at that.

Basically, but even the Jerami Grant types we've had here don't hold a candle to this guy's athleticism. He's truly a freak, and a physically mature one at that.
Yeah, I should have stressed the word similar in the first sentence, because I don't think we've had any that athletic, but yeah...you got the idea.

Bring him in just on his name alone! Reminds me of Melvin Levett who went to UC.

Love the kid on the other team "playing D" that basically just trots underneath the basket so he can get a better view of the dunk. Is he a fan, or is he actually on the opposing team?

Those are some crazy dunks...but who is he playing against? Looks like my sons team...FYI, he's only in first grade!

Does he do anything besides dunk
I've seen highlights of him hitting threes. Has pretty good mechanics on his stroke. Handles the ball pretty well in the open floor as well. I don't think he takes a ton of jumpers because he can get to the rim whenever he wants. His HS comp looks really weak & comparatively, his team looks loaded from what I've seen. They've got another guard who throws down insane dunks as well. Would like to see film of him against better comp on the AAU circuit.

Does he do anything besides dunk

Zion does that extremely well. But he also blocks shots and gets boards. His handle is solid for a big kid. And his jumper/form is decent.

Way too early, but he keeps getting the LeBron comparisons.. have also heard Dominique. I can also see some Shawn Kemp in Zionsville. Fun player to watch nonetheless.

Well, naturally my next question is will he go to college? Or is he that good?

Well, naturally my next question is will he go to college? Or is he that good?
Pretty sure he's going to college. UNC and South Carolina are pushing hard for him as he's in Spartanburg, SC, about an hour from Columbia and 45 minutes from the NC border.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom