Class of 2020 - SF Andre Jackson (NY) Offered | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SF Andre Jackson (NY) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
The #1 recruiter we have in the Jackson recruiting is Jackson himself. People must've forgot how hard Jackson was pushing Girard to sign with Syracuse. Remember Girard said it himself.

The 2nd biggest recruiter we have in his recruitment is Joe Girard 3. Remember when Jackson and Jirard both went to the SLAM tournament at Dyckman park in Harlem. Here is the video of that game in Harlem NY. Basically the City Rocks vs NYC minus a few 5 star recruits. Jackson is #18, Girard #0 in green

They had a interview after which i believe is in the magazine in the Girard feature where Girard talks about how hard "Jackson is pushing me to go to Syracuse so we can play together". This was last summer.
Who is #6 on the NYC team? Best player on the court.

Considering JG3 is already Orange, I took the path less traveled this morning and went to see Andre and Albany Academy play at the Civic Center this morning and then leave before Glens Falls played. (I know! I should've stayed:)
Here are some impressions, with the caveat of course that the stats aren't official and I'm no expert scout ... but I do know enough to know that there's plenty I don't know! Statistically, he was 8-12 from two, 1-3 from three, and 1-3 from the foul line (a prototypical Syracuse free-throw effort?), good for 20 points. He also had 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 turnovers.
SHOOTING: Elevates well but doesn't completely extend. (He actually reminded me a bit of Michael Carter-Williams in this respect.) His shot mostly leaves his hand from just above his forehead, and he has an odd idiosyncrasy where he sort of slightly pushes his head forward and downward on the release. While warming up before the game, he shot 3-pointer after 3-pointer and definitely missed more than he made. That said, he of course hit the first 3 he took during the game. His other field goals came from the paint - where he seems quite comfortable operating - and off lay-ups. Clearly, his shooting is a work in progress.
HANDLE: As a dribbler, he'll definitely need to tighten this up. There was only once where he was able to cleanly beat his defender off the dribble in a 1-v-1 situation, and it was pretty as he drove right, sealed the defender, and then finished on the reverse side with a left hand. In transition, Jackson gobbles up the floor with a great push and long strides that enable him to quickly get to the rim. And when he does get near the rim, he usually attacks it with authority. At least once, he did lose the ball in transition, which led to a basket going the other way.
PASSING: In a nutshell, he has nice vision, is completely unselfish, and also delivers his passes in places where it's easy to catch and finish. For instance, in the first half, he found a backdoor cutter with a nice pass. Another time, he essentially took the point and made another accurate backdoor pass that led to Park School's big man getting his 3rd foul in the first half. In the second half, he made a beautiful, lengthy cross-court bounce pass that led to a lay-up. Another time, he recognized that one of his interior teammates had a mismatch against a much smaller opponent. However, Jackson did not have a good passing angle, so he quickly swung the ball to another teammate who entered the ball down low for the easy hoop. It was a nice hockey assist.
DEFENSE: He started off the game guarding the fourth or fifth option. Later, however, in one brief sequence of what I think was a box-and-1, he was in denial mode against Park's best scorer. That player never touched the ball. Later on, in a zone defense, for a possession or two, he was guarding and battling with Park's biggest player. He did not shy away from the contact. In addition, while sliding in from the wing to help defend the middle of this zone, there were more than a few times when Jackson, while not blocking the shot, nonetheless altered attempts and caused misses.
REBOUNDING: I had him for only 5 rebounds. Like many players who are blessed with a great vertical, Jackson does not seem to "box out" very much (which I suppose, like his FT shooting in this game, makes him perfect for SU).
PHYSICALITY: No doubt, he possesses incredible ups, and it looks like he's got a frame that will fill out as he matures. He was also strong enough and willing to fight through being "bodied up" and "clutched and grabbed" throughout the contest. Could definitely grow to become a physical specimen.
COURT IQ: One time, in the first half, he missed on a 3 and crept too far toward the hoop, which allowed his defender to leak out and break away for a lay-up. Although Jackson had made a mistake in this situation, he hustled down the floor and contested the shot, in fact blocking the attempt - but it was goaltending. But other than that, Jackson almost always seemed under control and aware of the game situation. Even with Park School playing physically, he maintained his composure. Overall, today he exhibited great court maturity.
---------------
So that's all I got. From what I saw - with some tweaking of his shooting technique and a refined, smoother handle - he could definitely be a very special player. I know he has a list of 5 official college visits. Gotta be happy that Cuse is his last stop ... knocking wood and fingers crossed.

Considering JG3 is already Orange, I took the path less traveled this morning and went to see Andre and Albany Academy play at the Civic Center this morning and then leave before Glens Falls played. (I know! I should've stayed:)
Here are some impressions, with the caveat of course that the stats aren't official and I'm no expert scout ... but I do know enough to know that there's plenty I don't know! Statistically, he was 8-12 from two, 1-3 from three, and 1-3 from the foul line (a prototypical Syracuse free-throw effort?), good for 20 points. He also had 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 turnovers.
SHOOTING: Elevates well but doesn't completely extend. (He actually reminded me a bit of Michael Carter-Williams in this respect.) His shot mostly leaves his hand from just above his forehead, and he has an odd idiosyncrasy where he sort of slightly pushes his head forward and downward on the release. While warming up before the game, he shot 3-pointer after 3-pointer and definitely missed more than he made. That said, he of course hit the first 3 he took during the game. His other field goals came from the paint - where he seems quite comfortable operating - and off lay-ups. Clearly, his shooting is a work in progress.
HANDLE: As a dribbler, he'll definitely need to tighten this up. There was only once where he was able to cleanly beat his defender off the dribble in a 1-v-1 situation, and it was pretty as he drove right, sealed the defender, and then finished on the reverse side with a left hand. In transition, Jackson gobbles up the floor with a great push and long strides that enable him to quickly get to the rim. And when he does get near the rim, he usually attacks it with authority. At least once, he did lose the ball in transition, which led to a basket going the other way.
PASSING: In a nutshell, he has nice vision, is completely unselfish, and also delivers his passes in places where it's easy to catch and finish. For instance, in the first half, he found a backdoor cutter with a nice pass. Another time, he essentially took the point and made another accurate backdoor pass that led to Park School's big man getting his 3rd foul in the first half. In the second half, he made a beautiful, lengthy cross-court bounce pass that led to a lay-up. Another time, he recognized that one of his interior teammates had a mismatch against a much smaller opponent. However, Jackson did not have a good passing angle, so he quickly swung the ball to another teammate who entered the ball down low for the easy hoop. It was a nice hockey assist.
DEFENSE: He started off the game guarding the fourth or fifth option. Later, however, in one brief sequence of what I think was a box-and-1, he was in denial mode against Park's best scorer. That player never touched the ball. Later on, in a zone defense, for a possession or two, he was guarding and battling with Park's biggest player. He did not shy away from the contact. In addition, while sliding in from the wing to help defend the middle of this zone, there were more than a few times when Jackson, while not blocking the shot, nonetheless altered attempts and caused misses.
REBOUNDING: I had him for only 5 rebounds. Like many players who are blessed with a great vertical, Jackson does not seem to "box out" very much (which I suppose, like his FT shooting in this game, makes him perfect for SU).
PHYSICALITY: No doubt, he possesses incredible ups, and it looks like he's got a frame that will fill out as he matures. He was also strong enough and willing to fight through being "bodied up" and "clutched and grabbed" throughout the contest. Could definitely grow to become a physical specimen.
COURT IQ: One time, in the first half, he missed on a 3 and crept too far toward the hoop, which allowed his defender to leak out and break away for a lay-up. Although Jackson had made a mistake in this situation, he hustled down the floor and contested the shot, in fact blocking the attempt - but it was goaltending. But other than that, Jackson almost always seemed under control and aware of the game situation. Even with Park School playing physically, he maintained his composure. Overall, today he exhibited great court maturity.
---------------
So that's all I got. From what I saw - with some tweaking of his shooting technique and a refined, smoother handle - he could definitely be a very special player. I know he has a list of 5 official college visits. Gotta be happy that Cuse is his last stop ... knocking wood and fingers crossed.
Thanks for the in-person report!

---------------
Well done.

Great review! Glad we do have the last visit!

I’ll be honest though...that review kind of makes me think that he’s the exact type of player that we’ve gone after that has pretty much gotten us where we are now. Filled with long length, but not able to score. I hope I’m wrong, as I think we should look to transition more and quicker, and he’ll be perfect for that! And exciting to watch to boot!

Great review! Glad we do have the last visit!

I’ll be honest though...that review kind of makes me think that he’s the exact type of player that we’ve gone after that has pretty much gotten us where we are now. Filled with long length, but not able to score. I hope I’m wrong, as I think we should look to transition more and quicker, and he’ll be perfect for that! And exciting to watch to boot!
I think the difference is the court vision and that he is a willing passer.

---------------
Nicely done. I'm surprised you didn't mention his teammate August Mahoney who is going to Yale. Obviously you can't argue at all about a great Ivy League education that will be free but that kid is a great shooter and probably could have received better basketball offers. Definitely not better educational opportunities.

If he gets in transition he will score. SU can throw it over the top to him too. He is a freak athlete. We currently have no one with his athleticism.
Good thing we're a great transition team. It plays to his primary strengths.

I think you will see our running game improve with Carey at the point. Frank was slow, especially this year, and less inclined to run. When he was at the point Tyus rarely looked to run unless it was off of his own steal. Carey has elite athleticism and speed and hopefully with more confidence won't be looking over his shoulder and will play with more confidence.
Plus if Howard Washington is healthy and gets time he will be more of a pass first distributor than Frank ever was.
Also with Tyus gone the staff will hopefully encourage more running. Hopefully we can get away from the iso offense that we have been running, especially since without Tyus we have no proven one on one scorer. One overlooked issue was our outlet passes were poor or basically nonexistent. We scored very few easy transition baskets this season. This has to start with Oshae whose passing regressed this season, along with the rest of his game.
Jackson has the type of athleticism that we lacked this season that will encourage the staff to emphasize the running game and accept the turnovers that may result from it. I also think he would have the ability to drive and dish off the break, which would be critical with Buddy and Girard as potential options.

Or you could take the optimistic view and say maybe we are looking to run more.
We've been saying that for years. You've been one of the most vocal critics explaining why we can't do it anymore. Don't have all-american forwards who can rebound and outlet, don't have guards who can run and finish, etc. I'm at the point where I'll believe it when I see it. Transition and man-2-man are Syracuse basketball unicorns.

Sounds like we have to be in the lead here. This is a kid we have to get every time. Local (ish) kid who is as elite as local talent gets. His athleticism is what we need, you can’t teach that. I can already envision the fast break attack with him and carey/Girard. Should be a great get for us. Let’s hope we close!

plays a lot of PG for his team. How does he translate at Cuse? and I agree, he's crazy athletic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom