Class of 2017 - SG Andrew Platek (NY) Verballed to North Carolina | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Andrew Platek (NY) Verballed to North Carolina

Francis03

All American
6'4/6'5 shooter from Albany that played at Guilderland before heading into the NEPSAC and playing for Northfield Mount Hermon. Shooting 45% from 3 in EYBL play this spring for the City Rocks, and has developed a much better floor game as a passer. Earned offers early on from most high academic schools, but lately the big boys like UNC and Indiana have offered. Worth a look imho to bring along and develop as a Rautins type of player.

absolutely no reason not to offer him. NY kid, and last I checked, we have tons of spots available. Probably already too late though

6'4/6'5 shooter from Albany that played at Guilderland before heading into the NEPSAC and playing for Northfield Mount Hermon. Shooting 45% from 3 in EYBL play this spring for the City Rocks, and has developed a much better floor game as a passer. Earned offers early on from most high academic schools, but lately the big boys like UNC and Indiana have offered. Worth a look imho to bring along and develop as a Rautins type of player.

C'mon now - we're only gonna have like 8-9 open scholarships that year.
Can't waste one on a developmental project like an Andy Rautins. ;)

(The above is all dripping with sarcasm. Too bad there's not a font for that here.)

Can never have too many shooters.
And he's not a spindly 6'4" kid either.
Sign him up!

absolutely no reason not to offer him. NY kid, and last I checked, we have tons of spots available. Probably already too late though
I don't think so. This isn't a kid that will make a decision next week. If the staff eventually shows interest and offers, then I think we would definitely get a visit and be one of his top schools.

I don't think so. This isn't a kid that will make a decision next week. If the staff eventually shows interest and offers, then I think we would definitely get a visit and be one of his top schools.
Dean, how would you compare him to one of my sleeper favorites -- Lonnie Walker? Seems like Walker might be slightly taller and can really light it up from deep. Both '17 recruits I believe.

Dean, how would you compare him to one of my sleeper favorites -- Lonnie Walker? Seems like Walker might be slightly taller and can really light it up from deep. Both '17 recruits I believe.
No comparison between the two. Walker is far from a sleeper as he has been a 5 star guy for over the past year and his game is on another level at this point. Platek projects as a nice role player that once settled into college can become one of the top pure shooters in college.

Kids got a quicker release but from what I am seeing he just doesn't appear to be athletic enough at this point to warrant a scholarship offer. Doesn't get much elevation on his jumpers and looks a bit slow to play at an elite level. I think he could have trouble playing in the zone. Love to see him grow 2-3 inches so he could potentially play the 3 but im not sure id want him at the 2 given our options and scholarship limitation at that position in 2017. Maybe someone could chime in who has seen him play for a better analysis?

Kids got a quicker release but from what I am seeing he just doesn't appear to be athletic enough at this point to warrant a scholarship offer. Doesn't get much elevation on his jumpers and looks a bit slow to play at an elite level. I think he could have trouble playing in the zone. Love to see him grow 2-3 inches so he could potentially play the 3 but im not sure id want him at the 2 given our options and scholarship limitation at that position in 2017. Maybe someone could chime in who has seen him play for a better analysis?

Something to consider--we might only have 3 scholarship players returning to the roster heading into next season [Howard, Moyer, Chukwu] due to graduation [Coleman, Roberson, Gillon] and possible early entry [Battle, Lydon]. So, we could have as many as 7-8 open to offer to class of 2017 prospects.

Not advocating that Platek be one of those to get a scholarship offer, just pointing out that scholarship limitations aren't an issue with the class of 2017. We're going to have to work hard to get a class of 5, let alone 6, 7 or 8.

Maybe a guy like Platek makes sense behind a more heralded player at 2 like Diallo / Thompson, as a four year program guy who maybe gets a chance down the road to start depending on how things shake out, and maybe can backup both the 2 and the 3.

Last edited:
Something to consider--we might only have 4 scholarship players on the roster heading into next season [Howard, Moyer, Chukwu] due to graduation [Coleman, Roberson, Gillon] and possible early entry [Battle, Lydon]. So, we DO have the scholarships to use. We could have as many as 7-8 open to offer to class of 2017 prospects.

Not advocating that Platek be one of those to get a scholarship offer, just pointing out that scholarship limitations aren't an issue with the class of 2017. We're going to have to work hard to get a class of 5, let alone 6, 7 or 8.
For sure. We would all like 7 or 8 five star players, but that is not happening. If we can get one four to five star player at each position and then fill in with guys like Platek, that would an incredible haul.

As I noted at the top, he's currently playing at the highest level of HS bball when it comes to the NEPSAC and EYBL. He hasn't had a problem shooting very well against that comp so far and he has good size at the 2. Defensively he's very active and gives it his best despite not being super quick and athletic. Averaged over 4 boards and 2 steals this spring in the EYBL. Even though he has developed a much better floor game offensively as a passer, I think his biggest struggles will be as a shot creator in the one on one game. I don't think he'll be able to beat quicker and more athletic players off the bounce consistently on the high D1 level. IMO still in a class where we'll bring in a gang of recruits, I don't think Platek would be a bad option if we're talking about the 6th or 7th man in a recruiting class.

No comparison between the two. Walker is far from a sleeper as he has been a 5 star guy for over the past year and his game is on another level at this point. Platek projects as a nice role player that once settled into college can become one of the top pure shooters in college.
Lol, yes I saw he was a 5 star, and I called him a sleeper because, except for you and a few others, I don't hear a lot of buzz about him on the recruiting board. I started following your tweets and posts about him a couple of months back when I saw his eye-popping 3 point shooting percentages ... like it's a day at the office for him to shoot 50% from deep. Love to have a guy like this.

Last edited:
Platek is soo good he was the leading scorer on the City Rocks LAST year when they had a very popular(on this board) top 50 prospect that is playing for the U18 US team this year (Kevin Huerter).

He's underrated IMO.

I dont think he's as good as Huerter. That reclassification year really helped him. Great achievement for him though.

Other than football, Section 2 has really been putting out some good athletes recently.

It would seem that we like O'Connell better for this position, right?

I dont think he's as good as Huerter. That reclassification year really helped him. Great achievement for him though.

Other than football, Section 2 has really been putting out some good athletes recently.

Huerter has more upside for sure, but Platek did outscore him last year. I think it's a good get for UNC.

Interested to see what happens now with Hameir and Chris Duarte this year...