Class of 2018 - SG Antwann Jones (FL) Transfer from Memphis to Creighton | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Antwann Jones (FL) Transfer from Memphis to Creighton

You just want them to sign whomever. There is likely a very valid reason we have not offered (or really feigned any interest - at least publicly). And if you offer and he accepts that likely closes doors to others (and if he has a qual issue that's a double whammy). We are looking at other viable guys at that spot.

Sounds just like the Q. Green situation. Tell these other top 50 kids to kick rocks because we "MIGHT" be able to land a higher ranked kid. Then both sign some place else and we are left with nothing again. Same issues with last class.

We aren't "settling" on a 3 star 175th rank kid...this guy is pretty much borderline 4/5 star player who has the making of a prototype 2 or 3 here. You don't let another Isaiah Washington situation happen.

We have 4 scholarships. This kid is a consensus top 50 kid and big guard.

What players would we lose if he commits?
It's not just necessarily a SG (although we're looking at others). But we are desperately in need of 1 or 2 real SFs and at least 1 high end PG. and if we get Marek...who knows. So we might have 1 slot for SG

Sounds just like the Q. Green situation. Tell these other top 50 kids to kick rocks because we "MIGHT" be able to land a higher ranked kid. Then both sign some place else and we are left with nothing again. Same issues with last class.
Who have we told to kick rocks?

The priority to me seems like it's Carey, Swider and Bazley. I am with AZOrange on Buddy. We take him as well. He's an elite shooter.

I'm thinking Jones is overrated because his EYBL numbers are atrocious. 35% overall and 21% from 3(10-47).

The priority to me seems like it's Carey, Swider and Bazley. I am with AZOrange on Buddy. We take him as well. He's an elite shooter.

I'm thinking Jones is overrated because his EYBL numbers are atrocious. 35% overall and 21% from 3(10-47).

Tend to agree -- I think that Jones just happens to be 4th or 5th in the pecking order here. That's why the staff hasn't offered him, along with the fact that we have limited scholarships to work with for the class of 2018 and they don't want 1 of possibly 2 or 3 to get gobbled up by someone that isn't a top priority.

Not a knock on him or his capabilities.

Who would you rather have Hughes or Jones?

Also is Buddy going to play just because or is he a legit ACC player?

The first question is a legit question. I can't answer that, but what is done is done.

Buddy's EYBL numbers are better than Jones. They are averaging the same amount of points and Buddy takes 2 less shots a game.

Is there a secret site where the posters who are making absolute proclamations on recruiting go to get updated on ALL of the information the coaches have about these kids?
There must be a place to get that information, because so many people are so certain about what SU should and should not be doing with offers.
Where can I sign up to access the coaches' information so I can make recruiting proclamations with similar certainty?

Right. That's a full class, depending on marek and how you class Buddy

The first question is a legit question. I can't answer that, but what is done is done.

Buddy's EYBL numbers are better than Jones. They are averaging the same amount of points and Buddy takes 2 less shots a game.
Is Buddy getting a scholarship?

Or would JB pay for him to walkon.

Is Buddy getting a scholarship?

Or would JB pay for him to walkon.

Buddy won't count against a ship. That helps us.

I still think we will only have 2-3 ships available next year depending on who we take. I'm not of the opinion TT is anywhere close to being NBA ready. I only expect us to lose Battle, so the 3 guys above are probably our main targets.

Buddy won't count against a ship. That helps us.

I still think we will only have 2-3 ships available next year depending on who we take. I'm not of the opinion TT is anywhere close to being NBA ready. I only expect us to lose Battle, so the 3 guys above are probably our main targets.

Agree about 2-3. We get one back from the NCAA. If Battle goes pro, there's another. And whether we have a third will be contingent upon how one of our 2017 scholarships is filled. If it is with a fifth year transfer like Thorpe, then it would immediately free up again. There's a third.

Of course, if there is any unexpected attrition -- i.e., a player transferring, someone like Chukwu hanging 'em up, etc.--then that would change that number.

A class of those 3 guys would be great...huge step in the right direction for us and then add hughes for 18 and buddy and the foundation we have set this year (altho we need more pieces right now) and we will be in good shape. Now the problem is actually landing them.

I would take Jones over Hughes myself but it is probably besides the point since we already made the decision on Hughes. I saw Jones listed in the 20's on a site (ESPN maybe) and I think that is way to high but I see him as a good top 50 kid despite his struggles in EYBL. He wants to be here and could play both the 2 and the 3 in my opinion. I like him and I'm not saying the staff does or that other posters on here do that people respect (RF, Dasher, Iommi etc.). I'm just saying that I like him. Both Jones and Hughes can play the 2 and 3. I think Brissett can play the 4 and hopefully the 3. That would give us some good flexibility.

I think Buddy can play in the ACC. I didn't feel that way about Jimmy but I feel that was about Bud. He is a great shooter and has good size. He plays a little more below the rim than I would like and he isn't the quickest kid but I think he is a very smart player who can really shoot and is more than capable. He won't take a scholly and I think he will contribute nicely for us.

Carey, Jones and either swider or tweener forwards and let's rock

I would take Jones over Hughes myself but it is probably besides the point since we already made the decision on Hughes. I saw Jones listed in the 20's on a site (ESPN maybe) and I think that is way to high but I see him as a good top 50 kid despite his struggles in EYBL. He wants to be here and could play both the 2 and the 3 in my opinion. I like him and I'm not saying the staff does or that other posters on here do that people respect (RF, Dasher, Iommi etc.). I'm just saying that I like him. Both Jones and Hughes can play the 2 and 3. I think Brissett can play the 4 and hopefully the 3. That would give us some good flexibility.

I think Buddy can play in the ACC. I didn't feel that way about Jimmy but I feel that was about Bud. He is a great shooter and has good size. He plays a little more below the rim than I would like and he isn't the quickest kid but I think he is a very smart player who can really shoot and is more than capable. He won't take a scholly and I think he will contribute nicely for us.

And just to be clear -- I don't dislike Jones. I wouldn't have a problem if the staff offered / we took a commitment from him. I haven't seen enough [only some clips] to formulate an opinion anyway.

I'm just pointing out some pragmatic reasons why the staff might not be wanting to move forward, none of which had to do with the prospect's ability.

A lot hinges on how the rest of the class of 2017 finishes up, IMO.

And just to be clear -- I don't dislike Jones. I wouldn't have a problem if the staff offered / we took a commitment from him. I haven't seen enough [only some clips] to formulate an opinion anyway.

I'm just pointing out some pragmatic reasons why the staff might not be wanting to move forward, none of which had to do with the prospect's ability.

A lot hinges on how the rest of the class of 2017 finishes up, IMO.
Yup

You are right on target at 1,2,3 on our board. these are the kids we want.

You don't miss out on James for Swider..and we could totally be arguing over nothing and he's fine with waiting...don't think this board can handle another recruiting cycle like 2017 LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom