Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

Interesting point. I don’t want to derail the thread, but you wonder if part of the reason we haven’t been getting a ton of top 75 guys in the last 5 or so years is because so many more of these guys have baggage, handlers, etc. And once it turns to that, JB backs off.

Look at next years class, look at Benny, hell look at our roster now. Do any of those guys seem like the type with baggage or issues? Nope, you could argue a lot of them show maturity for their age.

I am sure JB loves it old school. Meet the parents and build that relationship. Now? Between handlers aau coaches trainers high school coaches, cousins, uncles, etc. it’s a totally different deal.
Probably the reason JAB keeps going back to the City Rock and Brewster kids.

We had a Chance
Then we didn’t
Old news about a whathavebeen that’s now irrelevant to us
Good luck young man. See you in the trenches

This long national nightmare is over.
Not sure it is over. He has gone to either 4 or 5high schools in 4 years. He could switch (hopefully not to SU) before he steps on Auburn’s campus freshman year.

I don’t think the coach will be there by the time he arrives. The NCAA is going to finally put him to bed permanently.

Exception rather than the rule.

I would also add Scoop & Wes Johnson were both Top 50 players out of high school. Outside of Benny, nobody on the team was that highly thought of, nor are any of our incoming 5 guys next year.

Wes Johnson was nowhere near the top 50 or even the top 150 as a HS recruit. He was a 3 star recruit heading into Iowa State. This year’s team has 2 top 40-50 guys in Benny and Cole.

Wanted to land this kid badly from the beginning. Especially when it was rumored that he was going to commit the weekend he visited and it seemed like Dior was recruiting him to begin a dream team. But this seems to have been a be careful what you wish for situation. I'm much more comfortable with the high end recruits we have who don't switch school every few months and seem to care about the type of people recruiting them and what they have done in the past. I also think our commits are more likely to be about the program and each other and less likely to be the diva types, even though they are "ranked" a bit lower. I'm hoping our guys will be patient and grow within the program because as been noted throughout this board, the multi year players who keep improving and stay are the ones that more often result in wins and championships (with certain, glorious exceptions!).

Thank god this is over at least for us... glad this and Dior have unfolded the way it has so people can truly understand how many bullets are dodged

matrix GIF

Not to be that guy but Wes may have been a nobody out of high school but when we recruited him he was the equivalent of a five star all America-type recruit.

LOL WUT???

Not to be THAT guy, but...

College career[edit]​

2006–07[edit]​

As a freshman at Iowa State, Johnson was named to the Big 12 all-Rookie team and earned honorable mention freshman All-America honors after averaging 12.3 points and 7.9 rebounds, starting 30 of 31 games. Johnson's highlights from his freshman year included 14 points and 13 rebounds in win against Missouri, including the game-winner on a tip-in with 1.6 seconds left. He also scored 17 points at No. 10 Texas A&M.

2007–08[edit]​

Johnson missed five games and played with an injured ankle throughout the majority of the season. He still was named an honorable mention all-Big 12 selection after averaging 12.4 points and 4.0 rebounds per game. Johnson scored 20 points behind a 5-of-11 effort from 3-point range against eventual NCAA Champion Kansas.[3]

Yeah, he was pretty solid for an OK Iowa State team -
but the equivalent of a 5* AA croot? :rolleyes:

LOL WUT???

Not to be THAT guy, but...

College career[edit]​

2006–07[edit]​

As a freshman at Iowa State, Johnson was named to the Big 12 all-Rookie team and earned honorable mention freshman All-America honors after averaging 12.3 points and 7.9 rebounds, starting 30 of 31 games. Johnson's highlights from his freshman year included 14 points and 13 rebounds in win against Missouri, including the game-winner on a tip-in with 1.6 seconds left. He also scored 17 points at No. 10 Texas A&M.

2007–08[edit]​

Johnson missed five games and played with an injured ankle throughout the majority of the season. He still was named an honorable mention all-Big 12 selection after averaging 12.4 points and 4.0 rebounds per game. Johnson scored 20 points behind a 5-of-11 effort from 3-point range against eventual NCAA Champion Kansas.[3]

Yeah, he was pretty solid for an OK Iowa State team -
but the equivalent of a 5* AA croot? :rolleyes:

I may have been a little hyperbolic, but look at his accomplishments his freshman year. He was pretty much the second best freshman in the Big 12. The name of the first escapes me. Kelvin Morant or something like that.

The point is that weren’t recruiting some developmental guy. We knew he was a legit talent.

I may have been a little hyperbolic, but look at his accomplishments his freshman year. He was pretty much the second best freshman in the Big 12. The name of the first escapes me. Kelvin Morant or something like that.

The point is that weren’t recruiting some developmental guy. We knew he was a legit talent.

Yeah, he was on the Big 12 All-Freshman team with KD, DJ Augustin and Darrell Arthur. Also near the top of that league in rebounds. I would say a retrospective "ranking" would have him at 5*.

Wes-try, Wes Johnson...
I think the discussion fits in fine in this thread.
By the time Wes finished his transfer sitting year he would have been a 5 star! He came in as our most polished first year player I've seen. Such great memories of that '09-10:team.

would definitely be an interesting reclass of “retroactive” 5-stars. The 2006 recruiting class, faired well. Players like Augustin, Earl Clark, Steph, Westbrook, taj Gibson, ryan Anderson,, etc werent 5 stars in that class either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom