Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

When I think of bags, I certainly don’t think of Nebraska.

I think it is more likely he visited there because one of their coaches developed a great relationship with him, or they started recruiting him very early, or there is some family connection we don’t know about.

Accusing recruits of taking bags just because they visit a school is a little over the top. Maybe it would be a good idea to let his recruitment play out and see where it goes before getting into this stuff?
Yeah KCSU is slinging mud where it doesn’t belong here. Accusing a recruit and his family of potential bag seeking is deplorable. Especially when the Westrys are totally above board. Should delete these posts as they are harmful and add no value.

Because that's part of the process? Kind of strange seeing people fretting over Nebraska, LSU and Auburn. WGaF if he takes a trip? Maybe he has never been to those parts of the country and was like why not? Its free...gets some swag...goes places he has never maybe been...not a big deal.
Matt Abdelmassih is the Nebraska assistant coach, and he has a long track record of reeling in kids from the east coast. He was with Hoiberg at Iowa State when the Mayor put the Cyclones on the map in the early 2010s, and he brought in a lot of kids to Ames (including, I believe, Monte Morris). He then went to St John’s with Mullin for a few years because he’s a Johnnies grad and knew Mullin, and he recruited all their top kids. Now he’s back with Hoiberg, this time at Nebraska. Unfortunately for us, this is yet another program that we’ll have to contend with in recruiting b/c Hoiberg and Abdelmassih will surely be dipping into the east coast waters. Hopefully players like Westry will decide they want to stay closer to home for their one or two years of college and that Syracuse can offer them more than faraway schools like Nebraska or Auburn.

Matt Abdelmassih is the Nebraska assistant coach, and he has a long track record of reeling in kids from the east coast. He was with Hoiberg at Iowa State when the Mayor put the Cyclones on the map in the early 2010s, and he brought in a lot of kids to Ames (including, I believe, Monte Morris). He then went to St John’s with Mullin for a few years because he’s a Johnnies grad and knew Mullin, and he recruited all their top kids. Now he’s back with Hoiberg, this time at Nebraska. Unfortunately for us, this is yet another program that we’ll have to contend with in recruiting b/c Hoiberg and Abdelmassih will surely be dipping into the east coast waters. Hopefully players like Westry will decide they want to stay closer to home for their one or two years of college and that Syracuse can offer them more than faraway schools like Nebraska or Auburn.

Thanks for the explanation of Nebraska's involvement. Very interesting insight.

My message was intended for those fearing unethical behavior. Good relationships and strong ties are a whole different story I agree.

The July 1 NIL stuff is important though. I mean why wouldn't a kid take advantage if state law provides a better opportunity? I wouldn't blame the kid for second.

I think it is more likely he visited there because one of their coaches developed a great relationship with him, or they started recruiting him very early, or there is some family connection we don’t know about.

Accusing recruits of taking bags just because they visit a school is a little over the top. Maybe it would be a good idea to let his recruitment play out and see where it goes before getting into this stuff?
Again its speculation. Im not accusing him. I actually expect to see many top recruits focusing on schools that allow NIL.

I have no issue with the NIL...but there is no way that one state or set of schools should be allowed until everyone approves. That's not a very balanced field of competitiveness in my opinion.
So what? First mover advantage is real.

Thank you for being a voice of reason, as usual.

Again its speculation. Im not accusing him. I actually expect to see many top recruits focusing on schools that allow NIL.
It’s not the schools allowing NIL. It’s these new state laws. I don’t believe Nebraska has passed any bills yet. I believe it’s mostly a few southern states. The NCAA is gonna pass some initial legislation re: the NIL this month but it won’t go as far as laws in states like Florida and Alabama. Mark Few testified to Congress about this yesterday. Congress needs pass a bill with NIL regulations so there are uniform standards across the sport to prevent certain schools (cough, cough, most of the SEC) from gaining an unfair advantage. It’s really gonna be a nightmare to get this all figured out over the next year or two. Again, the NCAA is behind the eight ball.

It’s not the schools allowing NIL. It’s these new state laws. I don’t believe Nebraska has passed any bills yet. I believe it’s mostly a few southern states. The NCAA is gonna pass some initial legislation re: the NIL this month but it won’t go as far as laws in states like Florida and Alabama. Mark Few testified to Congress about this yesterday. Congress needs pass a bill with NIL regulations so there are uniform standards across the sport to prevent certain schools (cough, cough, most of the SEC) from gaining an unfair advantage. It’s really gonna be a nightmare to get this all figured out over the next year or two. Again, the NCAA is behind the eight ball.

Yep. Law will always supercede. It's going to be extremely messy for sure.

I would tweak that to "behind the curve".

State laws don’t control NCAA eligibility.

I understand that but I would imagine the NCAA gets challenged in court over that. Especially when you factor the programs in Alabama for instance.

Nebraska and Alabama both kick in July 1.

I understand that but I would imagine the NCAA gets challenged in court over that. Especially when you factor the programs in Alabama for instance.
No idea on the answer, but do any of these state laws address NIL vis-a-vis high school, prep school or AAU eligibility or elementary school for that matter?

In fairness to kcsu: over time it has become tradition here to preemptively blame Gerry for losing recruits who haven't committed yet, so I think there is a pretty well established precedent for this kind of thing.

As long as Cuse gets one of his remaining three.
Would love a class of
Westry. 6-4
Taylor. 6-6
Filipowski 6-11
Lands. 6-8
Clingan. 7-1
Copeland. 6-6
Nice balance and size for the zone, and ability to press.

Would love a class of
Westry. 6-4
Taylor. 6-6
Filipowski 6-11
Lands. 6-8
Clingan. 7-1
Copeland. 6-6
Nice balance and size for the zone, and ability to press.
I'd rather have JJ or Westry

I'd rather have JJ or Westry
He’s got Westry in there. So, you’d swap JJ and Copeland? I really like them both. I give the slight edge to JJ as well. But, I would love to land either.

He’s got Westry in there. So, you’d swap JJ and Copeland? I really like them both. I give the slight edge to JJ as well. But, I would love to land either.
I believe the upside with Copeland is higher. At 6-6 his size on defense can be amazing, and being able to see over his defender on offense will create many opportunities for his teammates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom