Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

No idea how the numbers work out.

But I think you'd take Westry AND Copeland, with Copeland having to wait his turn. Which, presumably, he'd be willing to do.
I don’t disagree. You take Westry with whoever. I was just saying preference might be that combo least preferred

More than capable. Not as pass first as QC but smooth. I just love him as a player. Long, quick, skilled effortless.
Yeah. He's the kind of player we sometimes see on other teams and wonder why we don't ever have guys like that.

Love these Orange romance novels:
Kamari speaks of his devotion in so many words. But will he sign with us this winter of our discontent.
Is there a chance a Westry wind will lift our hearts to new heights?
And speaking of heights, what about that stalwart Center of our attention named Heathcliff of Wuthering Heights HS with his dashing style and good looks (at the basket and in the face). Could he be a true and committed player - if only he wasn't fictional. Oh well, my heart must be still for all good things come to those who wait.

I think there’s a good chance Lands and Westry are 1-and-done, plus Joe will leave. So limited minutes year 1 for QC, but year 2 it would Copeland/Taylor.
If Buddy & Joe both use their “COVID year” to play 5, our backcourt would be those 2 when these kids come in & then Joe would still be here when they’re sophomores. I just don’t see either Buddy or Joe leaving SU or a year of eligibility on the table.

I think there’s a pretty good chance that the starting lineup of Joe, Buddy, Benny, Cole, & Jesse is the same for the next 2 years.

If Buddy & Joe both use their “COVID year” to play 5, our backcourt would be those 2 when these kids come in & then Joe would still be here when they’re sophomores. I just don’t see either Buddy or Joe leaving SU or a year of eligibility on the table.

I think there’s a pretty good chance that the starting lineup of Joe, Buddy, Benny, Cole, & Jesse is the same for the next 2 years.
Buddy has aspirations to play professionally. I see no reason for him to stay unless he wants a run at scoring record etc.

I'm calling it now - next season will be Buddy's last. He'll declare for the draft and forego his final season of eligibility.

I agree, I love highly rated players. But, Copeland is a 5 star guy to me. I would have to watch some complete games before going that far, but he looks like the kind of guy that is going to blow up once the AAU circuit gets cooking. His size and handle at the PG position are crazy. And, his outside shot looks surprisingly good.
Granted that the one game I've watched is about a year old at this point, but in that one game, his ball handling looks really shaky to me. I think he ended up with double digit turnovers and it was almost all just him losing his handle rather than any errant passes. Like I said, it's a year old, but he looks like a worse ball handler than Joe to me. Definitely makes some impressive passes and he uses his body well when he drives though.

Edit: I think he shows more potential as a passer than Chance, but Chance is definitely able to control the ball a lot better than Quadir based on what I've seen. His off-hand is particularly impressive for his age.

Last edited:
I'm calling it now - next season will be Buddy's last. He'll declare for the draft and forego his final season of eligibility.
yep, if he continues on the path he was on at the end of the season(doubt he can stay that red hot but meaning his overall game/ability to create his own shots) there is no doubt next year is it for him

Buddy has aspirations to play professionally. I see no reason for him to stay unless he wants a run at scoring record etc.
I'm wondering if he'd even want the scoring record? If it took him 5 years, at least in my mind, it'd have an asterisk next to it.

I hear you. I do think that climbing the school scoring list (doubt he’d eclipse Moten but could easily finish top 3) &/or topping G-Mac’s 400 3pm likely means something to him. I also just can’t help but see our roster makeup trending toward a 2 year plan with a serious F4 shot in ‘23, as I project Benny here 2 years. I’m also not sure why Joe would leave a year on the table.

Lots of moving parts & possibilities. I won’t further hijack Westry’s thread.

I’m no recruiting expert. But Taylor and Chance are top 60, 4-star kids. Copeland is more around the 150 range. But hey that doesn’t always matter.

All of them are between 6-5” and 6’8” so maybe the staff thinks all 4 can play together
I don’t care where Copeland is ranked. That kid will kill it here. He’s good, real good

Depends on how we do. I can see him coming back if we face-plant & miss the NCAAT, or take quick exits in the postseason.
In his last year if he’s looking at a Top 10, tested, loaded & veteran squad w/ a legit chance to win it all, it’ll bring him back. JMHO

Love these Orange romance novels:
Kamari speaks of his devotion in so many words. But will he sign with us this winter of our discontent.
Is there a chance a Westry wind will lift our hearts to new heights?
And speaking of heights, what about that stalwart Center of our attention named Heathcliff of Wuthering Heights HS with his dashing style and good looks (at the basket and in the face). Could he be a true and committed player - if only he wasn't fictional. Oh well, my heart must be still for all good things come to those who wait.
Bud?

It's alright. I'm OK now. Thanks for the check-in.
It’s got to be the COVID seclusion, right? Maybe put wrestling or boxing on or something.

Yes, I would not be surprised to see one of them pop here. I really think Westry but that might be me projecting what I want...I just always thought he made the most sense...

there are a couple others that were circling with too that could surprise.

the transfer rule changes the recruiting dynamic completely. I’d be shocked if you don’t see more early signees. Risk of waiting with portal and free look during freshman yeah.

100% - the recruiting game has changed, and close misses are going boomerang more and more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom