Class of 2017 - SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon

So here's a question that I think I know the answer to but not positive...

Let's just say we did land Tucker, Ayala, and Duarte. Huge, huge ifs I know. But that would fill out our roster with all available scholarships and no seniors. So essentially there's a scenario where we would now have only 1 scholarship available for 2018.

Lets say 2-3 of the recruits we are heavily involved with in 2018 class want to commit early in the fall. Can we take all of them even though we have only 1 scholly available? And then figure it out when the season ends by seeing whether Battle or Thompson leave early or if anyone transfers?

Seems like the only real candidates to leave between now and this time next year are battle, Thompson, or Howard and none of them are nearly a sure thing so taking 3 more freshmen now may make the 2018 class much more difficult to navigate

Let's just say we did land Tucker, Ayala, and Duarte. Huge, huge ifs I know. But that would fill out our roster with all available scholarships and no seniors. So essentially there's a scenario where we would now have only 1 scholarship available for 2018.

Lets say 2-3 of the recruits we are heavily involved with in 2018 class want to commit early in the fall. Can we take all of them even though we have only 1 scholly available? And then figure it out when the season ends by seeing whether Battle or Thompson leave early or if anyone transfers?

Seems like the only real candidates to leave between now and this time next year are battle, Thompson, or Howard and none of them are nearly a sure thing so taking 3 more freshmen now may make the 2018 class much more difficult to navigate
Doesn't Kentucky do something like that every year? Cal recruits next year's 5-stars assuming that this year's group is moving on.

Doesn't Kentucky do something like that every year? Cal recruits next year's 5-stars assuming that this year's group is moving on.
Right - so I'm assuming it's ok. Thought I had always heard Tom Crean was famous for this too.

But just wasn't positive

Technically yes, but I'd find it hard to believe that someone would commit that early with no scholarship available. UK is different because it's a given dudes will leave. If you're talking about the fall, it's way too early for them to tell who will be there and who will leave. I think Battle and TT will both leave honestly.

say Duarte's grades end up shaking out OK and we land him - could he play the 3 for us?

say Duarte's grades end up shaking out OK and we land him - could he play the 3 for us?

I was wondering that myself..i wouldn't think it is ideal because we would be s little small but with that said I think at times if we wanted to go with a smaller line up that could be s threat from outside and and run and gun style offense with basically 3 guards in the line up at once I think we could be effective at times depending on who we are playing. Not ideal but could be effective at times...still want Tucker to be our 3

He would instantly become one of our 2 best players. Kid is a stud

Duarte is what? 165-75 lbs? He's skinnier than BJ Johnson. He might be able to play good minutes at the 3 in 3 years or so.

He would instantly become one of our 2 best players. Kid is a stud
Looked really good in the Jordan Regional game. I'd love to see him join Tucker next year. That would be a pretty solid cast with some long term potential.

I think we should as a backup if we don't get tucker!!!!
He put up good during the season and in the regional Jordan game but doesn't have ANY big time offers. Connect the dots, there has to be something about his transcripts, grades or test score that is scaring people off.

I believe that we would take him in a heartbeat if we knew he would qualify.

Can't we just send him to Detroit to take his SATs with worldwide Wes?
That only works if he's going to be a PayPalCal disciple. We would be on probation in a heartbeat and poor JB would lose another 100 games.