Class of 2017 - SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon

I've seen him play a few times and started this thread since Troy isn't to far from where I grew up. He's got good length(typical Syracuse 2/3 length), but like BJ Johnson was, he is very skinny. I'd say hes about 6'6'' 180 max. He's a good shooter and I think he could be a good shooter here, but he has a really low release. In a normal year, I'd say he would be a good developmental prospect to sign and red shirt. I say his upside is anywhere from Kueth Duany to Andy Rautins.

I've seen him play a few times and started this thread since Troy isn't to far from where I grew up. He's got good length(typical Syracuse 2/3 length), but like BJ Johnson was, he is very skinny. I'd say hes about 6'6'' 180 max. He's a good shooter and I think he could be a good shooter here, but he has a really low release. In a normal year, I'd say he would be a good developmental prospect to sign and red shirt. I say his upside is anywhere from Kueth Duany to Andy Rautins.

If he's somewhere in those two players' range, sign me up. Whether he ever starts or not, we need the backcourt depth. If he ends up having a career like either of those two, then he'd be a steal.

I would take a 'Rautins and Duany any day of the week. Rautins was the best shooter we ever had coming off down screens and getting off quick shots.

GREAT college player.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up because everybody remembers Duany and Rautins as an end product. Like them he needs to hit the weights, adjust his release, and work on his handle. We would need to develop him. I wouldn't expect too much next year.

Last edited:
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up because everybody remembers Duany and Rautins as an end product. Like them he needs to hit the weights, adjust his release, and work on his handle. We would need to develop him. I wouldn't expect too much next year.

The other side of this is that they don't always develop either, probably more often than not.

The other side of this is that they don't always develop either, probably more often than not.

Well right now even our top 100 guys aren't developing. That's a problem.

We used to be great at developing program guys. Triche, Southerland, Duany, Rautins and Arinze. Heck I'd take a Baye Keita on this team. His defense alone may be worth 4 more games. Non of those guys were consensus too 100 guys, but they produced here. I think we have lost patience with guys recently and some of that had to do with not utilizing all our possible scholarships IMO.

Well right now even our top 100 guys aren't developing. That's a problem.

We used to be great at developing program guys. Triche, Southerland, Duany, Rautins and Arinze. Heck I'd take a Baye Keita on this team. His defense alone may be worth 4 more games. Non of those guys were consensus too 100 guys, but they produced here. I think we have lost patience with guys recently and some of that had to do with not utilizing all our possible scholarships IMO.

I think you are forgetting a few things here. What SU had happen was they were sanctioned. SU lost almost 25% of the total scholarships schools they were allotted for players, per year, for multiple years. That is a huge strain and would be a huge impact on any program. It was one of the largest penalties ever given to a program up to that time. I think people forget that. How truly enormous a penalty the NCAA gave the program.

The penalty was designed to hamper the program for many years. And it didn't, at first. You better believe that pissed off the people in the NCAA who don't like JB. But, with such a penalty, for so long, it was inevitable that it would eventually impact the program. SU would have had to recruit like it never has before, like they tried to do, in order for the impact to not be felt. But they didn't succeed.

Now most of you blame it on Gmac & on JB. But, it isn't as simple as that. Then you throw in the fact that JB will be retiring after this year or next (I tend to believe he will walk away after this season, because he isn't the sort who will want a going away party)

With all that being said, the program had to let some of less developed or less skilled players go. And several players developed over the course of the time they were here (Some of you don't want to give the coaches any credit for the development, so you like to say they were already good enough before they got here) And they went to the NBA.

The truth is, the coaches DO develop players. The players DO improve sometimes steadily, sometimes enormously. Quite a few players have parlayed that into lucrative NBA contracts.

There will always be misses. Roberson has not developed as we all hoped. DC2 has been derailed by injuries. But, White & Gillon are imports, maybe to far along in their curve to show any major improvement, but they also haven't been with the program very long. Thompson & Battle are also new, but seemingly improving rapidly. And Lydon, though still inconsistent, has also improved enormously.

SU is where it is because four year players left after one. Sanctions apparently effected some big time recruits. We recruited some non D1 SU caliber players. Some recruited players never developed. JB delegated the recruiting process to a inappropriate level.

SU is where it is because four year players left after one. Sanctions apparently effected some big time recruits. We recruited some non D1 SU caliber players. Some recruited players never developed. JB delegated the recruiting process to a inappropriate level.
I think the podcast sums it up best - we are where we are because Hop liked Joseph and Red liked Howard better than other players who have panned out. We don't miss on those 2 kids and our life isn't so dark today.

I understand peoples concerns about the Sanctions...etc, but our miss rate is way to high. Buss, Joseph, BJ, Roberson relative to expectations, Howard, Diange, Chino... I mean Notre Dame is turning 3 star recruits into All ACC players. Our 3 and some of our 4 star guys look like mid major USA. Somewhere we have a problem.

I understand peoples concerns about the Sanctions...etc, but our miss rate is way to high. Buss, Joseph, BJ, Roberson relative to expectations, Howard, Diange, Chino... I mean Notre Dame is turning 3 star recruits into All ACC players. Our 3 and some of our 4 star guys look like mid major USA. Somewhere we have a problem.
We look for long athletic athletes that we hope turn into basketball players, while ND looks for skilled basketball players that may lack elite athleticism. When the types of athletes we get pan out, they are gone, because that is what the NBA is looking for. When theirs pan out, they are still there for 4 years because they still lack the elite athleticism that the NBA craves. So, our 4 year guys end up guys that haven't quite developed.

Does Diagne count as a miss?

Does Diagne count as a miss?
Yes, why wouldn't he? I would say that any foreign born players needs to be looked at very carefully to be sure that they qualify. The staff either didn't go deep enough or there were shenanigans by another party.

Diagne would be the starting C here this season, no doubt. Probably wouldn't have gotten 7'2" to transfer in, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

We look for long athletic athletes that we hope turn into basketball players, while ND looks for skilled basketball players that may lack elite athleticism. When the types of athletes we get pan out, they are gone, because that is what the NBA is looking for. When theirs pan out, they are still there for 4 years because they still lack the elite athleticism that the NBA craves. So, our 4 year guys end up guys that haven't quite developed.

Scoop, Triche, Rick Jackson, and AO stayed 4 years. Some of our all time winningest players.

Scoop, Triche, Rick Jackson, and AO stayed 4 years. Some of our all time winningest players.
And not a coincidence, they were on some of our most successful teams. They all lacked the elite athleticism or skill that guys like Malachi and McCullough had. The hard part is to evaluate and find the guys that will develop into great college players and stockpile them so that when their development fits in with the rest of the parts of the team. When we have limited scholarships, there is no room for misses and then we try to fill in with the superstars that we have a hard time getting. It seems that right now, we are in the perfect storm of everything failing at once. But, the ship will be righted.

SPOT ON. With fewer scholarships, our margin for error / ability to absorb a player not panning out decreases to a razor thin margin.

We've had too many not pan out in recent years--for a variety of reasons. That, coupled with the ones who DID pan out jumping to the NBA at the earliest possible opportunity, has left us depleted season after season.

Yes, why wouldn't he? I would say that any foreign born players needs to be looked at very carefully to be sure that they qualify. The staff either didn't go deep enough or there were shenanigans by another party.

Diagne would be the starting C here this season, no doubt. Probably wouldn't have gotten 7'2" to transfer in, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

I would think a 'miss' would be a player we went after and lost to another team. I wouldn't consider losing a player to the NCAA's bureaucratic nonsense a miss. He would be the starting C, which is why the staff wanted him. If the NCAA was ever consistent with their rulings, his eligibility would have been easier to determine, but they're not, so it wasn't.

nah; we are where we are because we misjudged two consecutive point guard recruits. If either Frank Howard or especially Kaleb Joseph (who was something like the 9th best PG in the nation as a HS senior) had been as good as was expected, we would be fielding a top 10 squad right now. Add a quality point and distributor to the shooting we have? And two big guards at the top of the zone? We'd still have a short bench, but when has that ever bothered a talented Boeheim team?

Everything else is acceptable, IMO. Recruiting, coaching, etc. It's only that we missed on those 2 point guards - and then failed to close the deal with Green - that has changed the perception of the program. Lock up a capable PG in the spring and that perception starts to change.

Nail on the head right here!

tqY0t.png