Class of 2017 - SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Chris Duarte (NY) to Oregon

Interesting, any chance there is a foreign player to help us next year? Maybe a Croatian kid looking to kill a year before the NBA draft ala Yurtseven?
That's something I had suggested on one of my recent pods that the staff could get created with for this class. Don't really have any names off the top, but I'm sure somebody will emerge out of the blue at some point.

Combo guard, much like Ayala. Gives us another option if things get slow played with Ayala's reclassification process.

Admittedly, there is not a lot to go on here in terms of tape, but I really like Duarte. After watching his footwork, body control and the consistency of his release on his jumpers, this kid reminds me of Rautins. He is able to shoot off the dribble going in either direction, and showed a fluid pull up jumper on the break (for comparison, we have 1 kid on the current roster who can do all 3 of those things consistently off the dribble).

There is a lot of potential here. I'd be surprised if an offer is not in the works...

At this point I'd be OK with taking this kid, Ayala and the best PG we can get whether it's a grad transfer, a foreign kid our someone who becomes available late in the process.
I agree. If they have the right attitude and are willing to work their butts off, bring them in.

At this point I'd be OK with taking this kid, Ayala and the best PG we can get whether it's a grad transfer, a foreign kid our someone who becomes available late in the process.

Bottom line: we need backcourt depth. Maybe Duarte is a program type who is starting caliber by the time he's an upperclassman. Or maybe he is just a stop gap solution until we can recruit over him in 2018.

But we need depth at all three of the perimeter positions in the class of 2017, or we won't even be able to field a legitimate depth chart next year.

I think this kid is better then his ratings suggest. He has a nice shot and can hit from long range, good handle and size although could certainly put on some muscle. With our recruiting misses we don't have much options anyways but I think this is the type of player that a few years down the road people are wondering why the heck he wasn't recruited by more schools. I say give him a offer! We certainly have nothing to lose at this point

Bottom line: we need backcourt depth. Maybe Duarte is a program type who is starting caliber by the time he's an upperclassman. Or maybe he is just a stop gap solution until we can recruit over him in 2018.

But we need depth at all three of the perimeter positions in the class of 2017, or we won't even be able to field a legitimate depth chart next year.

Yeah he looks to me like kid that will need some time to develop but he can shoot so you never know. If a kid comes in and knocks down shots consistently he could find himself playing.

We need players at the 1,2,3 like you stated. I feel like Chukwu, Sidibe, Thompson, Moyer, Brissett is plenty to man the 4,5, give us front line depth and even play some minutes at the 3 but without legit guards and wings it doesn't matter.

Not much to go by, but he might be worth a chance. As I remember, Triche was a 3* guy, was obviously very underrated. Maybe he is underrated as well.

Anyone know what type of injury he had?

Don't know if this is what sidelined him but at one point he was wearing a mask on his face.
Was that in late October?

Just found this:

Christopher Duarte 6'6 SG Redemption Academy NY

Duarte was the biggest revelation at the TarkanianClassic earning Gold Division MVP honors. Duarte arrived in the United States about 2 months ago from the Dominican Republic. Duarte displayed one of the most complete shooting guard skill sets during the Tarkanian Classic tournament. Duarte has a great combination of athleticism, play making ability, ball skills as well as size at the shooting guard position, allowing him to score on all three levels. He will certainly make his way into the upper half of the top 100.

Tarkanian Classic - 2017 Prospects Recap

Get it done

Just found this:

Duarte was the biggest revelation at the TarkanianClassic earning Gold Division MVP honors. Duarte arrived in the United States about 2 months ago from the Dominican Republic. Duarte displayed one of the most complete shooting guard skill sets during the Tarkanian Classic tournament. Duarte has a great combination of athleticism, play making ability, ball skills as well as size at the shooting guard position, allowing him to score on all three levels. He will certainly make his way into the upper half of the top 100.

Get it done

We desperately need guards so this sounds like a perfect match. We need to get this kid.

Just found this:

Get it done

Agreed. Kid needs to get stronger, but looks like a real sleeper. Love the jumpshot, and the versatility.

Kudos to Francis for calling this a few weeks ago.

He and his dad (I assume) were very engaged with Red pregame. Talked for at least 15 minutes. Seemed to be really into the game and stayed until the end. Did not see him come in or leave so I'm not sure what the post game interaction was.

It's fine and great to bring these types of guys in but the program (fans and staff both) need to actually show the patience to let these types of "investments" pay off. The last batch of program type guys we brought in like BJ, Buss, Joseph we got frustrated with too early and ran them off before they could actually become one of those guys who develop and give big contributions as a senior or junior. I know some of them didn't look great in minutes they were given early in their career but neither did Rautins, Southerland or Scoop - and no I'm not saying that's who all of them could've been just mentioning players who were given the time to develop and learn as underclassmen.

The staff and fans alike didn't expect some of these recent guys to give great minutes as freshmen and sophomores when signing and expected the solid contributions to pay off in a couple years. Then when exactly that script started to play out, admittedly the sanctions played a role, everyone said get them out of here so we can bring in new commits that never actually materialized and next year the roster will be void of exactly those types of program type upperclassmen.

Adding a program type perimeter scoring threat like BJ Johnson, a senior Buss's defensive intensity and measurables to the top of the zone this year when we were getting scorched at BC, or another senior ball handler like Kaleb Joseph who has been in the program 4 years to next year's team would be great.

Just need to show patience to let these types of guys become who we think they can be.

It's fine and great to bring these types of guys in but the program (fans and staff both) need to actually show the patience to let these types of "investments" pay off. The last batch of program type guys we brought in like BJ, Buss, Joseph we got frustrated with too early and ran them off before they could actually become one of those guys who develop and give big contributions as a senior or junior. I know some of them didn't look great in minutes they were given early in their career but neither did Rautins, Southerland or Scoop - and no I'm not saying that's who all of them could've been just mentioning players who were given the time to develop and learn as underclassmen.

The staff and fans alike didn't expect some of these recent guys to give great minutes as freshmen and sophomores when signing and expected the solid contributions to pay off in a couple years. Then when exactly that script started to play out, admittedly the sanctions played a role, everyone said get them out of here so we can bring in new commits that never actually materialized and next year the roster will be void of exactly those types of program type upperclassmen.

Adding a program type perimeter scoring threat like BJ Johnson, a senior Buss's defensive intensity and measurables to the top of the zone this year when we were getting scorched at BC, or another senior ball handler like Kaleb Joseph who has been in the program 4 years to next year's team would be great.

Just need to show patience to let these types of guys become who we think they can be.

People always bring up BJ / Bus as examples that went sideways, but the reality is that our program has thrived for years recruiting program guys who stayed all four years and made incrementally larger and larger contributions over the course of their career. In recent years alone, CJ, Kris Joseph, Scoop, Rautins, AO, Triche, Jackson, Gbinije, and many others. By senior year, these program guys were often as good as / better than the more highly rated blue chip frosh counterparts that they were competing against.

Our traditional recruiting approach has been to load up on these type of guys, and then supplement them by sprinkling in the occasional higher rated recruit. We've gotten away from that a bit in recent years, to the detriment of long term depth. And obviously, many of the higher rated players we've landed became early entrants who headed to the NBA often before the program truly benefitted from them being around. Most frustrating about that has been that we've recruited well enough to land guys who were NBA prospects, but that those NBA prospects were not truly elite blue chippers who could elevate the program to elite levels.

Obviously, the scholarship sanctions further cut into our depth, but finding ourselves in a situation where we could potentially not have ANY backcourt players next season is a shocking position to be in. Only a few seasons ago, we were landing recruits a full year ahead of their class, which in turn enabled our coaching staff to spend time building relationships with underclassmen and strengthening our position in future recruiting classes. Today, we're significantly behind for the class of 2017, staring down the barrel of having 3-5 additional slots to fill, and desperately needing to add perimeter depth.

Hard to know how good of a prospect Duarte is, or how his career will unfold. The skill set suggests that he could develop into a quality player, and we desperately need the backcourt depth. He also seems like a better option than some of the names that have been thrown about. We find ourselves today in the unenviable position of needing to add players, but not wanting to add guys who won't be able to play at our level. In that regard, Duarte seems like a good gamble.

Last edited:
If we could add Duarte and Ayala along with a decent PG prospect that would be great. Maybe even a 5th year grad transfer point like Gillon is this year and then we go get a more long term point in 18. I'm sure others have thought of this and brought it up.

If we could add Duarte and Ayala along with a decent PG prospect that would be great. Maybe even a 5th year grad transfer point like Gillon is this year and then we go get a more long term point in 18. I'm sure others have thought of this and brought it up.