Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

My point, though, was… isn’t Donnie supposed to be the SF next year? That’s where Bell was.

PG — ?
2G — JJ / Choppa
SF — Freeman
PF — Maliq
C — ?

Going to be a weird season, next. Two starters are expected to leave, and a guy who played a prominent 22 minutes gone, too. Then we expect to have two really good guys who both play the same position (4) so one gets shifted to SF, which pushes Bell out, a guy who shot 42% from three and was our only good perimeter threat.

I wonder if it could all work out if JJ moves to point, which leaves Bell at 2, even though he doesn’t really handle well and definitely doesn’t make plays for anyone else…. Haven’t we had teams like that? Roe, Janulis, etc?

Nobody's going to play 40 minutes. How many times do people have to hear that? There will be at least 20 minutes for 5 guys in the front court.

Nobody's going to play 40 minutes. How many times do people have to hear that? There will be at least 20 minutes for 5 guys in the front court.
Where do you see a breakdown of minutes? Or the full roster of players? Be less jerky when you’re making up words and suppositions for me.

If you want it made simple: i don’t want to see Maliq at center for ANY minutes. Many people, it seems, would be fine with him splitting time with a pickup center. That’s not my preference, regardless of how realistic or unrealistic that is.

Where do you see a breakdown of minutes? Or the full roster of players? Be less jerky when you’re making up words and suppositions for me.

If you want it made simple: i don’t want to see Maliq at center for ANY minutes. Many people, it seems, would be fine with him splitting time with a pickup center. That’s not my preference, regardless of how realistic or unrealistic that is.
Brown with Freeman will be fine for long stretches.

No collection of 5 players is going to be on the floor for 40 minutes. Nine or ten guys will play most games, at least for the first half of the year. If someone presses a line up, you put in a ball handling guard. If a lineup is getting bullied on the glass, you put in another big man. No 5 man grouping is ever going to pay the entire game. That's why they make substitutions.
Thank u

People like you in your post talk about how you can't play a particular lineup because it will be susceptible to a press, or another said you can't play a certain lineup because it would not be able to defend inside, or you can't play another lineup because it lacks outside shooting.

Yes, that may be true in instances that particular lineups are susceptible to this or that, but none of these lineups are going to play together for even 20 minutes in a game, because of substitutions, tactics and foul trouble.

So, yes, to make a generalization that "these 5 guys couldn't play together" is kind of a false negative. You use different lineups in different situations, and you need far more than your starting 5 to make a competitive team.

People like you in your post talk about how you can't play a particular lineup because it will be susceptible to a press, or another said you can't play a certain lineup because it would not be able to defend inside, or you can't play another lineup because it lacks outside shooting.

Yes, that may be true in instances that particular lineups are susceptible to this or that, but none of these lineups are going to play together for even 20 minutes in a game, because of substitutions, tactics and foul trouble.

So, yes, to make a generalization that "these 5 guys couldn't play together" is kind of a false negative. You use different lineups in different situations, and you need far more than your starting 5 to make a competitive team.
Unless he develops a whole new set of skills in the off-season, Bell is not a 2-guard.

Starling had a 1:1 assist/TO ratio as a secondary ball-handler. That was without the opposition's primary perimeter defender on him.

You can't put a square peg in a round hole, even for short periods.

“People like you?”
If you want to rip me for something I’ve said, rip me for something I’ve said. Not what other people say. Those weren’t my words. Don't know what your beef is, but it isn’t related to what I’ve been discussing here.

Hold up, wasn’t it said earlier in this thread, that there’s no way he doesn’t start? Was that Bulldog04 ?
I never said he wouldn't start, just that he wasn't promised a starting spot. It all will depend if we add a quality center. If we do, I do not think he starts.

Last edited:
Unless he develops a whole new set of skills in the off-season, Bell is not a 2-guard.

Starling had a 1:1 assist/TO ratio as a secondary ball-handler. That was without the opposition's primary perimeter defender on him.

You can't put a square peg in a round hole, even for short periods.

I agree that Bell's not a guard, certainly not for more than about 5 minutes a game, if we wanted to play a "jumbo" lineup, but still have some 3 point threat.

I agree that Starling is not a point guard. But Starling is a pretty decent secondary ball handler, especially against pressure. That's still useful to have, but you're right, he's not our PG.

If we had a really good, honest to goodness point guard who could beat pressure consistently by himself, then yes, you can play square pegs in round holes for a few minutes.

That was kind of like Boeheim's whole career - playing essentially a PG, a C and 3 forwards, or playing big guards to turn them into PGs (Triche, Frank Howard, MCW), or playing SFs at SG (Cipolla, Janulis), trying to get physical advantage over the other team.

Tactics work both ways. You can force the other team to adjust, or else they will do that to you.