Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Has a little Khalif Wyatt to his game, remember how he torched us a couple years back? Looks like a good fit timing wise, and then go after a grad transfer if Diallo goes elsewhere (college or pro).

I was under the impression that part of the issue with Duval was the Under Armor affiliation of his AAU team? Is that not a problem with guys like Sidibe and Ayala because they are not deemed future NBA players, and therefore "shoes" are less of a consideration?
Shoe $ will be there as a pro regardless, so it's not that much big of a deal as it was probably 10-15 years ago. The plan for #TeamDuval is to find the best spot where he can showcase his skills for one year. Markelle Fultz was an Under Armour player in HS and ended up at Washington, a Nike school. Josh Jackson was another Under Armour player and he ended up at Kansas, an Adidas school. Terrance Ferguson, who was a long time Under Armour player was committed to Arizona, a Nike school before heading overseas. It didn't stop Under Armour from hitting him up with an endorsement deal to help complete his overseas deal. The same thing will be no different with Duval, whether he attends a Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Puma etc school.

Shoe $ will be there as a pro regardless, so it's not that much big of a deal as it was probably 10-15 years ago. The plan for #TeamDuval is to find the best spot where he can showcase his skills for one year. Markelle Fultz was an Under Armour player in HS and ended up at Washington, a Nike school. Josh Jackson was another Under Armour player and he ended up at Kansas, an Adidas school. Terrance Ferguson, who was a long time Under Armour player was committed to Arizona, a Nike school before heading overseas. It didn't stop Under Armour from hitting him up with an endorsement deal to help complete his overseas deal. The same thing will be no different with Duval, whether he attends a Nike, Adidas, New Balance, Puma etc school.

I've heard reports of a difficult father involved, though I've heard conflicting reports on that front. Francis03: has that been exaggerated?

Also, his team seem very much all about the Duval brand. Maybe he's not looking for shoe $ but I'm concerned they might make certain demands that JB isn't willing to meet. Is that fair?

Roster composition will be a huge factor. Since he's deciding in the spring, maybe by then our roster will look a little better on paper than it does now. He obviously is going to want quality on the wings. We obviously have to get back in the game first since we are not in his top 5. With him wanting to be The Man, would the return of Frank Howard be an issue? I realize Duval is a monster talent but FH would have to get floor time. Maybe they could sell them as a backcourt duo with Tyus as a three (IF Tyus returns).

I've heard reports of a difficult father involved, though I've heard conflicting reports on that front. Francis03: has that been exaggerated?

Also, his team seem very much all about the Duval brand. Maybe he's not looking for shoe $ but I'm concerned they might make certain demands that JB isn't willing to meet. Is that fair?

Roster composition will be a huge factor. Since he's deciding in the spring, maybe by then our roster will look a little better on paper than it does now. He obviously is going to want quality on the wings. We obviously have to get back in the game first since we are not in his top 5. With him wanting to be The Man, would the return of Frank Howard be an issue? I realize Duval is a monster talent but FH would have to get floor time. Maybe they could sell them as a backcourt duo with Tyus as a three (IF Tyus returns).

Could Duval fill a similar role as Murray from UK last season, playing alongside Frank at the 1?

RF2044 said:
Could Duval fill a similar role as Murray from UK last season, playing alongside Frank at the 1?

Dean has pointed out to me previously, when wondering if Duval and Green could coexist (a long time ago), that Duval has played with other point guards on many teams, including with Quade in AAU action.

Ayala as a 2017 kid would be a much better long term solution than Green as a 2017 kid.

If we could pull this off, we should all be VERY happy.

For all the build up of Green...him not coming here could be a huge blessing. And this isn't sour grapes coming from me...

Ayala as a 2017 kid would be a much better long term solution than Green as a 2017 kid.

For all the build up of Green...him not coming here could be a huge blessing. And this isn't sour grapes coming from me...

Staff pushing for a reclass ?

People are looking at this as: we wouldn't have gotten involved if not for the QG crap sandwich. Is Ayala a combo guard or strictly a two? He looks like he's got a handle. The way he finishes kind of reminds me of Brandon Triche--finishes well through contact.

Jake, any more detail? Ayala looks like a solid get, but he is not a McD's type, as QG is and as of now I wouldn't expect his production to really be that close. Assuming QG was here at least 2 years, which I think would have been likely, I would expect strong production, leading to a number of wins.

Is the staff that impressed with Ayala's game? Or is he that connected, that he could attract some of his high flying teammates (Hami and Duval)?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with this kid so this isn't meant as any criticism of him. Maybe he's terrific. But in general from past experience combo guards don't have the ball handling skills or decision making skills to excel at playing PG while their perimeter shooting skills aren't in league with pure SGs. So I'm not a huge fan of combo guards.

I don't think it's a coinkidink that he gets offered 2 days after Green chose UK and he's a former 2017 kid.

I think his game is more combo that 2.

Won't go into details on Green, but I'm not all that busted up.
Oh so we are going to have to wait for your podcast to here the details on Green :)

I'm not familiar with this kid so this isn't meant as any criticism of him. Maybe he's terrific. But in general from past experience combo guards don't have the ball handling skills or decision making skills to excel at playing PG while their perimeter shooting skills aren't in league with pure SGs. So I'm not a huge fan of combo guards.
While it's nice to have two really good point guards, like this year, it is difficult to recruit another true point guard while Frank Howard is here. So, a guy that can manage point guard duties for 5-8 minutes per game, will suffice. He can spell both guard spots allowing for a really good three guard rotation, which is all we can expect anyway.

Pops didn't seem to be much of an issue last year when the staff told him that his son was our #1 guy for 2017 and JB attended every event that he was playing at around the time. Always gonna have a whole lot of high maintenance stuff surrounding a top 5 recruit. It's to each is own whether it's worth going through the circus or not to land that player.

Pops didn't seem to be much of an issue last year when the staff told him that his son was our #1 guy for 2017 and JB attended every event that he was playing at around the time. Always gonna have a whole lot of high maintenance stuff surrounding a top 5 recruit. It's to each is own whether it's worth going through the circus or not to land that player.
I know you suggested throwing hat in the ring but will we?

I don't think it's a coinkidink that he gets offered 2 days after Green chose UK and he's a former 2017 kid.

I think his game is more combo that 2.

Won't go into details on Green, but I'm not all that busted up.
Jake, thanks for the hint that the Green situation had something not quite kosher with it.

If you know your going head to head vs UK, you better have a plan B.
Was Ayala our plan B? Or was he somebody we sort of we're looking at but if Green signed on, we wouldn't have bothered seriously investing in?

I want to play UK and beat Quade so bad

I wanted to SO badly when we actually had the SEC challenge and had just lost Kid And Play to them. I still remember his visit, I think to an awesome UConn game, where he looked emotionless. I tried to tell you all at that point, but I dont recall anyone agreeing with me. Dammit, I want some street cred on here. Either way, it felt great seeing Kentucky suck that year.

Speaking of which, I feel good seeing Jake expressed the same feelings as myself...you know, that validation you get after that. Thanks Jake!! (I wish Bees would get that emoticon with the guy headbanging and holding up a beer! I would have posted it right now)

View attachment 83037
Alright, enough of that. Eric Ayala sounds like an Orange player to me.

Thanks, and speaking of validation, it felt great. I would have been upset at myself otherwise, being my card collection used to be a HUGE part of my life as a youth. But like you said, enough of that. Time for Coach GMac or whomever to prove their worth and CLOSE this kid! And in 2017, for that matter. Enough of the moral high horse loser crap I read over and over year after year, recruit after recruit. I'm tired of seeing ALL of our creative energy wasted on EXCUSES. LIFE is about closing, regardless of what it takes. It IS what It Is. Life. Winning teams win, losers spend their time with excuses. Am I alone, or do others want guys who can close, regardless of what it takes?(other than hurting someone, or infringing on someone else's rights).

Seriously, after the track record of recruiting recently, Boeheim might do welll to watch the Glengarry speech with his assisant coaches. Heck, I think this speech would be good for most of us to watch periodically..."'cause you're talking about what...some sale you shot, some broad...let's talk about something important!!!"

All of these threads...talking about if a kid is good or not, they dont matter if these SOBs can't CLOSE!! It's time to talk about something important! (A championship to reward JB for his many years of work! Moral victories and finger pointing arent going to cut it. Get it done!) There is hidden brilliance in this message that maybe some of you need more caffeine or something to recognize and resonate! Rather than anxiety over it, it's good when you can make it fun. Choose life, Close!

Last edited:
While it's nice to have two really good point guards, like this year, it is difficult to recruit another true point guard while Frank Howard is here. So, a guy that can manage point guard duties for 5-8 minutes per game, will suffice. He can spell both guard spots allowing for a really good three guard rotation, which is all we can expect anyway.
Do you believe that the main reason for this is that most incoming college players these past several years feel that they can make the pros after demonstrating strong to outstanding skills over one good season? Where in the past, they would learn from the previous leaders on their teams (juniors, seniors) and as the leaders graduate, the progression would be to move into those starting roles/positions.
The "one and Dones" and the "two and Out" have really changed the face of college basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom