Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Yes, this.

Am I the only one who is thrilled that we're treating Ayala as our fallback option, and it's no longer the other way around?
I think Lecque will be the next option, and I'm all on board with that.

I hope we go after Lecque as our backup as well.

Ayala will never get that UK or Duke offer. He could have come in this year, either started or been our 3rd guard, got a year of experience in college and in the zone, then started next year. Instead, hes delaying his clock in hopes for an offer that will probably never come while we have seemingly moved on. I don't think Ayala is an NBA player, but I bet he does - why delay your clock by a whole year if you want to get to the league? If Frank Howard didn't progress Ayala would probably be starting by January for us this year. No idea what the kid was thinking. I think Thorpe fits our needs much better this year.Next year hopefully Carey and Hughes are our starting backcourt with Frank Howard Washington off the bench.

I'm all for kids taking their time. I wasn't upset at Quade or his process because I understood that. But this one with Ayala makes 0 sense.

I hope we go after Lecque as our backup as well.

I really like the offer to Lecque. He in 19 but could be an 18 kid. So it allows us to go after Carey with the option of trying to get Lecque to reclassify if necessary later on. If we get Carey which is a strong possibility it doesn't mean we have to stop recruiting Lecque since he is currently 19. Both are much better guard prospects that Ayala IMO although I think he will be a good four year college player somewhere.

Ayala was sort of gifted a wide open guard situation at SU when Green went to UK very late in the game. All he had to do was reclassify and announce for SU. He did reclassify but then let things drag. We meanwhile brought in Washington for insurance, started looking hard at or 18 and 19 guard options, brought in Hughes for 18 and then took Thorpe as a grad transfer. I hope Ayala finds a school he is happy with and does well but its pretty obvious he missed out on an opportunity that is highly unlikely to be presented to him again. A top10 program, HOF coach, history of putting the ball in playmakers hands, immediate playing time and a foot in the door for starting down the line.

Last edited:
I really like the offer to Lecque. He in 19 but could be an 18 kid. So it allows us to go after Carey with the option of trying to get Lecque to reclassify if necessary later on. If we get Carey which is a strong possibility it doesn't mean we have to stop recruiting Lecque since he is currently 19. Both are much better guard prospects that Ayala IMO although I think he will be a good four year college player somewhere.

Ayala was sort of gifted a wide open guard situation at SU when Green went to UK very late in the game. All he had to do was reclassify and announce for SU. He did reclassify but then let things drag. We meanwhile brought in Washington for insurance, started looking hard at or 18 and 19 guard options, brought in Hughes for 18 and then took Thorpe as a grad transfer. I hope Ayala finds a school he is happy with and does well but its pretty obvious he missed out on an opportunity that is highly unlikely to be presented to him again. A top10 program, HOF coach, history of putting the ball in playmakers hands, immediate playing time and a foot in the door for starting down the line.

Agree. I think when we look back at this class 2-3 years down the road we will be happy at the way things played out (taking HW instead of waiting on Ayala; prioritizing Carey, and targeting Lecque).

Agree. I think when we look back at this class 2-3 years down the road we will be happy at the way things played out (taking HW instead of waiting on Ayala; prioritizing Carey, and targeting Lecque).

Especially since we got Thorpe for this year and Hughes for next. Thorpe was the one that indicated we moved on from Ayala though.

Nothing wrong with keeping a line of communication open here and any mutual interest flowing. I'd rather have 2 potential back up options then 1 if Carey goes elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with keeping a line of communication open here and any mutual interest flowing. I'd rather have 2 potential back up options then 1 if Carey goes elsewhere.
how do you know we arent?

how do you know we arent?

That would be good news as far as I'm concerned. But, from what im reading I think many people here do not feel the same way. Personally I think he's a nice option and would be a solid pickup at the point

I'm sure Gmac is still keeping in contact with him.

Totally just my opinion on this but I would think Maryland might be one to watch here considering ayala playing the past couple years with UA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom