Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

That would be pretty incredible to go from hoping we have Battle back and absolutely nothing else to all of a sudden having a backcourt of Waters/Battle and Ayala for next year. I've been way down on recruiting lately but I'd fly up to Syracuse to personally high five everyone if they pulled that off.

None of this may end up coming to fruition, but it just shows why it is senseless to completely panic like a lot of people have been doing. So many moving parts to all this.

I want Waters as starting PG, Ayala as a Combo Guard off the bench with Washington redshirting

I don't want Washington to red shirt. This year was a great example of how Moyer redshirted because he was #10 on a 9 man rotation. Then injuries struck and Roberson (and Howard) sucked. I think Moyer would have been able to contribute some this year even if if was only a few minutes per game.

At worst HW is another ball handler or press option next year. At best he's a starter at point.

I don't want Washington to red shirt. This year was a great example of how Moyer redshirted because he was #10 on a 9 man rotation. Then injuries struck and Roberson (and Howard) sucked. I think Moyer would have been able to contribute some this year even if if was only a few minutes per game.

At worst HW is another ball handler or press option next year. At best he's a starter at point.

Didn't Moyer redshirt because he was injured?

Didn't Moyer redshirt because he was injured?
I guess technically, no. Doctors told him he'd be out for the season, he missed all of summer, then remarkably recovered in time for the start of the year. However, he intelligently chose to redshirt because he didn't get the summer work in and didn't want to risk wasting a year.

I think that redshirt, regardless of how he may have been able to help our team this year, was an absolute blessing.

I guess technically, no. Doctors told him he'd be out for the season, he missed all of summer, then remarkably recovered in time for the start of the year. However, he intelligently chose to redshirt because he didn't get the summer work in and didn't want to risk wasting a year.

I think that redshirt, regardless of how he may have been able to help our team this year, was an absolute blessing.

He played 9 minutes in the 1st meaningless scrimmage. Hardly a "remarkable recovery".

He played 9 minutes in the 1st meaningless scrimmage. Hardly a "remarkable recovery".

I'm taking this from articles off syracuse.com and what not. Take it with a grain of salt but the kids injury was supposed to have him out all winter and he recovered before November. Not reposting the article, you can find it in his recruitment thread towards the latest posts.

By remarkable recovery i don't mean Strasburg coming off tommy john and throwing 103. I mean he recovered months ahead of schedule and was in a position to risk not redshirting. Thankfully he did not.

I'm taking this from articles off syracuse.com and what not. Take it with a grain of salt but the kids injury was supposed to have him out all winter and he recovered before November. Not reposting the article, you can find it in his recruitment thread towards the latest posts.

By remarkable recovery i don't mean Strasburg coming off tommy john and throwing 103. I mean he recovered months ahead of schedule and was in a position to risk not redshirting. Thankfully he did not.

He had a broken foot which caused him to be 2 months behind on S&C. It would have been January until his stamina was up to par and he could be a meaningful contributor. He was nowhere near 100% on November 1.

Like you said, not worth wasting a whole year for 2-3 months of play.

Howard will not be starting in the ACC as a freshman. At best he's ready to play spot minutes as a reliable end of the rotation type of guy. I don't think a red shirt season would hurt him but we would need to add quite a bit more depth at the guard position before that option presents itself. I think the first part of your sentence could be realistic. Howard can be a valuable option bringing the ball A-B and setting up our offense for short stints. His role will have to grow from there (I do think he's capable of eventually playing meaningful minutes at this level) . Just my opinion. No clue how the staff feels or what they are expecting.

Howard will not be starting in the ACC as a freshman. At best he's ready to play spot minutes as a reliable end of the rotation type of guy. I don't think a red shirt season would hurt him but we would need to add quite a bit more depth at the guard position before that option presents itself. I think the first part of your sentence could be realistic. Howard can be a valuable option bringing the ball A-B and setting up our offense for short stints. His role will have to grow from there (I do think he's capable of eventually playing meaningful minutes at this level) . Just my opinion. No clue how the staff feels or what they are expecting.
HW also played a lot off the ball at Montverde and AAU. So could he could slide over at the other guard position to provide some depth there as well. Shot 40% from 3 overall at various settings. Hopefully that's a skillset that translates on the next level because my biggest concern is that he'll have trouble creating one on one against quicker and more athletic guards.

Apologies because it may have been addressed earlier in this thread.

But can anyone who has seen Ayala recently give a description of his game - it's strange but even from his highlights I can't get a good read.

Is he a dominant type of combo guard a la Dion? Is he more subtle like Triche? Is he something else?

Apologies because it may have been addressed earlier in this thread.

But can anyone who has seen Ayala recently give a description of his game - it's strange but even from his highlights I can't get a good read.

Is he a dominant type of combo guard a la Dion? Is he more subtle like Triche? Is he something else?

James Harden type player. Obviously not putting him on that level, but same type of game. Not a true point guard, but handles it well enough. Gets into the lane and dangerous both as a mid range shooter and taking it to the rim. Sets up his teammates off of drives [because he's a good scorer]. Pretty good shooter from 3. Scrappy, rebounds well for his size, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom