Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Always amazes me how our fans can't comprehend that recruiting is a competition between schools. The top level of which have much to offer. When QG chose Kentucky, you'd have thought it was OCC by the reaction here (as in it could only be flat out incompetence on our staffs part), if Ayala chooses Oregon... people will lose it on our staff. As if it is their choice where these kids go.

Always amazes me how our fans can't comprehend that recruiting is a competition between schools. The top level of which have much to offer. When QG chose Kentucky, you'd have thought it was OCC by the reaction here (as in it could only be flat out incompetence on our staffs part), if Ayala chooses Oregon... people will lose it on our staff. As if it is their choice where these kids go.
However, to be fair, we seem to be the only school not to get a Final Four bump.

An offer is an offer, but I'm not to worried by it...at least not yet. Our staff has been showing him love for a while now and Oregon just jumped in. Michigan St. jumped in late on TT and he came back to where he felt it was right. QG was a fluke...

Until I hear that EA is leaning Oregon, I'm not worried.

Maddening how these west coast teams come recruit on the east coast but we totally stopped recruiting out west.
We've stopped recruiting basically anywhere outside of I-95...

We've stopped recruiting basically anywhere outside of I-95...
The staff did make a run through Atlanta last year for a few recruits, but nothing turned up. But yeah, it's pretty much the I-95.

I'm out west and I've seen this kid play a couple times this year. Jordan Brown, 6'11, with offers from Kansas, Oregon, Cal, UCLA and Zona. He's top 5 in the country **with no Kentucky or Duke offer**. We should at least give the kid a call. Chris Mullin came out here to visit him, so coming out east must have been a possibility if Mullin flew cross country to see him.

The staff did make a run through Atlanta last year for a few recruits, but nothing turned up. But yeah, it's pretty much the I-95.

I'm out west and I've seen this kid play a couple times this year. Jordan Brown, 6'11, with offers from Kansas, Oregon, Cal, UCLA and Zona. He's top 5 in the country **with no Kentucky or Duke offer**. We should at least give the kid a call. Chris Mullin came out here to visit him, so coming out east must have been a possibility if Mullin flew cross country to see him.

Is that Mullin behind him trying to ask a question?

An offer is an offer

Indeed. Matthew Moyer was offered by no fewer than 22 schools before committing to Cuse. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. In sales it's called, "throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks."

If I was 17, the thought of playing at oregon would be fantastic. Can't fault him if he chooses to go there. Program is on the upswing, and the college seems quite fun.

That said... Syracuse is still a hell of a landing spot mr Ayala.

Let's hope the staff has some plan Bs if Ayala does go to Oregon. Duarte may have grade issues and it looks like we are not involved with some of these very good PGs recently released from their schools now on the market.

To be fair, I think people would be more apt to lose it on our staff for again following an "all in" approach in recruiting Ayala to be THE GUARD when we had a puncher's chance to get involved with blue chippers like Waters, MCL, Harris, Batts, etc. There was an unprecedented amount of guard talent that shook free late due to coaching changes -- and if we miss out on Ayala, then we failed to capitalize.

Hopefully we land Ayala and the issue never materializes. I just worry about having our eggs in one basket yet again -- especially when filling this slot is so potentially figural to the type of year next year's team will likely have.

Plus I heard their hiking trails are no where near as good as Washington's!

Howard Washington's?

Maybe JB's decision to retain Howard [Washington, as a recruit] will tip the scales with Tucker.

I know that these kids get tons of offers and it's all part of the game but I don't like this...i don't know why but I just done feel like this kid is a cuse lean...i mean shouldn't he be at least letting people know if he's reclassing yet or not...let alone what school he's going to commit to? He hasn't even really come out with a top 4 or top 5 or 10 or anything has He? Not that that's a big deal or anything but I feel like he has kept his opinions on schools under lock and key..i haven't really read anything that suggest he has a favorite or is leaning one way more then another. Anyone know or read something somewhere that suggest otherwise?

Always amazes me how our fans can't comprehend that recruiting is a competition between schools ...
It's not a competition if you don't show up. And this isn't specifically in regard to any one recruit, but I've seen an awful lot of tweets where head coaches from other programs are in to see a recruit and SU sends Autry or Gmac.

I've posted this a lot, SU needs to start casting a wider net because competition is getting stiffer for the top 25-100 players.

It's not a competition if you don't show up. And this isn't specifically in regard to any one recruit, but I've seen an awful lot of tweets where head coaches from other programs are in to see a recruit and SU sends Autry or Gmac.

I've posted this a lot, SU needs to start casting a wider net because competition is getting stiffer for the top 25-100 players.

Relax Cuse fans. We got this

Trust the Process

If I was 17, the thought of playing at oregon would be fantastic. Can't fault him if he chooses to go there. Program is on the upswing, and the college seems quite fun.

That said... Syracuse is still a hell of a landing spot mr Ayala.

Maybe, but schools that don't really care about basketball just aren't the same as the places where it's everything. Oregon drew 7,400 fans per game in an arena that seats 12,000 last year. And the team was good!

Last edited:

Either cast a wider net, or spend more time and resources on the fish you are going after. Seems we're doing neither most of the time...

To be fair, I think people would be more apt to lose it on our staff for again following an "all in" approach in recruiting Ayala to be THE GUARD when we had a puncher's chance to get involved with blue chippers like Waters, MCL, Harris, Batts, etc. There was an unprecedented amount of guard talent that shook free late due to coaching changes -- and if we miss out on Ayala, then we failed to capitalize.

Hopefully we land Ayala and the issue never materializes. I just worry about having our eggs in one basket yet again -- especially when filling this slot is so potentially figural to the type of year next year's team will likely have.

Call me crazy but I believe Washington is going to be a pleasant surprise. He's under the radar like Oshae

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom