Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Not sure you can put that on Flynn. I agree that he wasn't a great point guard in the truest and most traditional sense of the word. But the frosh team got hurt bad by injuries to Devendorf (who had a great start to the year) and Rautins, who wound up playing great basketball the next two seasons (including being really good on defense).

Sophomore year flynn was a bit uneven during the regular season but still averaged 17 and 7 on a team that won 28 games, won three games in the BET (including the six OT game) and then ran into a red hot Oklahoma team with Blake Griffin. I mean, it's tough to find too much fault with that year.
Not blaming Flynn.

So it was OK for Battle to change his mind on Michigan, but not cool for Ayala, Green and the hundreds of kids who've done it before them to not flip?
Where did I say it was unfair?
That is quite a leap you took to put words in my mouth.

I am not blaming the kids at all.
I am frustrated at the staff not closing. We need Mariano Rivera on staff.

A kid flipping isn't on the staff. You can go all in on a deal knowing you gave it your all and still get spurned for another client. You and a number of posters don't understand this or don't want to even try to comprehend. There are a number of layers and more than often, these kids aren't the ones making these decisions. In Ayala's case, it very well may be Putnam's coach steering the ship. Can't fault a guy for flipping or reclassifying when he was never in control of the process to begin with.

A kid flipping isn't on the staff. You can go all in on a deal knowing you gave it your all and still get spurned for another client. You and a number of posters don't understand this or don't want to even try to comprehend. There are a number of layers and more than often, these kids aren't the ones making these decisions. In Ayala's case, it very well may be Putnam's coach steering the ship. Can't fault a guy for flipping or reclassifying when he was never in control of the process to begin with.
You argument takes the coaches off the hook no matter what.
I am not going to give them 100% blame either.

We are getting to inside the 10 yard line on a football field and aren't punching it in.

This staff deserves some criticism for this past cycle.

Not blaming Flynn.

Weren't you questioning the fit I guess based on his defense in the zone? My only point was only that's both of those teams are easy tourney entries w/o the injuries, fwiw.

So basically this is the 2nd time a recruit has told GMac they were coming and it's more probable than not they are coming.

Is GMac getting solid "yes" or is our staff interrupting them as yes?

That's a horribly simplistic way of looking at it. I will say, in the Green case, the warning signs were there for a long time...and ignored...

That's a horribly simplistic way of looking at it. I will say, in the Green case, the warning signs were there for a long time...and ignored...
The warning signs were ignored?

How did that happen?

Weren't you questioning the fit I guess based on his defense in the zone? My only point was only that's both of those teams are easy tourney entries w/o the injuries, fwiw.
Yeah, I don't think he was a perfect fit, but I wouldn't necessarily blame the player for that. The staff brought him in, ultimately they're responsible. I had a meeting to get to, so I sent that off without getting a chance to get into specifics. For example, I thought Oklahoma exploited Harris' spot in the zone more than any other player, so there were other guys who weren't great fits for the 2-3.

I'm not excusing the staff either. There were misteps on their behalf.

Bud, not butt.

I had no idea haha .....how I feel right now

IMG_1991.GIF

I do not owe you an apology. That is ridiculous. He told the coaches that he was reclassifying. That is not an opinion. That is a fact. He told the coaches he was coming to Syracuse. Fact. Not opinion. By the way, he still might. We haven't given up. But we could always do it your way for formation. Just guess. People like you are the reason that many don't put out information they know. So, now because of you, I will only give out information to people off line. Good job. This reminds me of the people, like you, who told me I was wrong when I posted that Hop had a deal to become the next coach.

I saw your post when you first wrote it, and wanted to give it the time and respect it warranted before responding.

I will attempt to respond politely and respectfully. First and foremost, I was, as most Syracuse fans were upon learning that Ayala was not coming in 2017, profoundly disappointed. I have been a fan for over 40 years.

It brought up the same emotions that many of us had when we Quade chose Kentucky over Syracuse not that long ago. Many people including guys on this board seemed positive he was all Orange... until he wasn't.

I think it was only a week ago I voiced concern that EA might not reclassify, let alone sign with us. Instead of saying I heard from a viable source that he's coming, and I'm optimistic, you said "you're wrong."

After allowing some time to elapse, I'm guessing that you are as disappointed as I am.

I appreciate that you have inside knowledge AND that you share it. I'm not suggesting that you stop, and I hope that you don't. Clearly many other people in this board think very highly of you.

I think what I was trying to say, and did a really crappy job of doing it... is that WE all need to be more careful how we state things. In hindsight, i don't think your remark was inflammatory towards me.

I think you went with information that you were entrusted with, and tried to calm us down by giving us hope that you had heard from good authority that EA was indeed coming.

I think what I took offense to was the declaration, "you are wrong." Why not just say, "After talking with some people that I trust, I'm more optimistic. I think you could be wrong."

I think you may be in a very difficult position on this board because you want to share what you have been told but you can't name your sources, so when you write it sounds rather authoritative.

All I'm asking is for you to be more careful with your wording. Lots of posters on this board write about their beliefs, in such a fashion that it comes off as factual. I think we, myself included, could spend a bit more time thinking about how a post sounds before we hit the submit button. I should've on my last post. I didn't make that mistake with this one.

Last edited:
I saw your post when you first wrote it, and wanted to give it the time and respect it warranted before responding.

I will attempt to respond politely and respectfully. First and foremost, I was, as most Syracuse fans were upon learning that Ayala was not coming in 2017, profoundly disappointed. I have been a fan for over 40 years.

It brought up the same emotions that many of us had when we Quade chose Kentucky over Syracuse not that long ago. Many people including guys on this board seemed positive he was all Orange... until he wasn't.

I think it was only a week ago I voiced concern that EA might not reclassify, let alone sign with us. Instead of saying I heard from a viable source that he's coming, and I'm optimistic, you said "you're wrong."

After allowing some time to elapse, I'm guessing that you are as disappointed as I am.

I appreciate that you have inside knowledge AND that you share it. I'm not suggesting that you stop, and I hope that you don't. Clearly many other people in this board think very highly of you.

I think what I was trying to say, and did a really crappy job of doing it... is that WE all need to be more careful how we state things. In hindsight, i don't think your remark was inflammatory towards me.

I think you went with information that you were entrusted with, and tried to calm us down by giving us hope that you had heard from good authority that EA was indeed coming.

I think what I took offense to was the declaration, "you are wrong." Why not just say, "After talking with some people that I trust, I'm more optimistic. I think you could be wrong."

I think you may be in a very difficult position on this board because you want to share what you have been told but you can't name your sources, so when you write it sounds rather authoritative.

All I'm asking is for you to be more careful with your wording. Lots of posters on this board write about their beliefs, in such a fashion that it comes off as factual. I think we, myself included, could spend a bit more time thinking about how a post sounds before we hit the submit button. I should've on my last post. I didn't make that mistake with this one.
Fair point. My you're wrong post was certainly not meant to be a slam. Just that at the time, it was wrong. just as right now, if Ayala does re classify and verbal to Cuse, I wasn't right. Because as it turns out, it wasn't a done deal (even though he told the coaches it was. Or at the very least, the coaches thought he had). On the Monday night of the week that Green went to Kentucky, he called the Syracuse coaches and told them he was going to Syracuse. He called back on Tuesday and said he changed his mind. Now, if you told G-mac on Monday night of that week, that Green was going to Kentucky, he would have said you're wrong. On Tuesday, you would have been right. I have no hard feelings. I just want a 1 and a 3 that will help us win next year.

so dasher which grad transfer pg are we going to get involved with ( I know you said we would learn later in the week but if you feel like saying it now I won't mind ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom