Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

I have said this before, they love, love love Hughes. I don't see it from what he has actually done but I can tell you that I have talked to a number of people that saw the kid in high school and they all rave about him. I mean, it's like the are talking about a 5 star recruit. He did go head to head against Diallo and outscored him 24 to 4. Another person I talked to said he is a great shooter. Not good, great. SMH Why did he end up and ECU and why didn't he do better? I have zero answers for that.

He certainly has the measureables. I like his hs tape a lot too. Just wish we didnt have to use a ship on a guy who has to sit next year out.

Who on the staff isn't in the Thorpe camp?! I know that can't be answered, but assuming it's the head coach. EA is really good, and would be better for the future. Especially with the way things have been going, who knows if we land our priorities for 2018. Still, give me Thorpe and move on.

And yet, he hasn't committed to them yet. And he has basically set himself on fire trying to get an offer from us. We have given him the cold shoulder. And still, he hasn't committed to Pitt. And the reason for that is he wants to play in the NCAA tournament. No sure bet with us. But a pretty sure bet he won't with Pitt.
We have given him the cold shoulder? I thought the staff has been in touch with him and told him they like him but aren't ready to offer because we're waiting on Ayala? Similar situation to Duke and Tucker?

Last edited:
Not exactly a high riser.

Basically had two steps to elevate, so I wouldn't worry about his vertical. He's probably only 6'4 anyway. Always get that extra inch or two in HS. So pretty good for a PG.

Basically had two steps to elevate, so I wouldn't worry about his vertical. He's probably only 6'4 anyway. Always get that extra inch or two in HS. So pretty good for a PG.
I am not worried about him being a big leaper. Just pointing out, he is not a freak athlete. He is a creative and strong finisher, but he is not going to be dunking on people.

I am not worried about him being a big leaper. Just pointing out, he is not a freak athlete. He is a creative and strong finisher, but he is not going to be dunking on people.

No doubt that he's not a freak athlete. But, he can still get up. Thought you were replying to just that dunk which was difficult bobbling the ball, collecting it, and then taking two steps to get it down, is all. Most kids would have to lay it up there.

I'll start this by saying I'd be glad to land either EA or Thorpe.

But can someone explain to me why there's a belief that EA's going to come in and take Franks job? I understand Frank's a head case and has done much to put his job, which would otherwise be locked to him with his size and experience, in jeopardy. However, I haven't seen much at all that shows me EA would be ready to start from day 1 or even by February.

Recruits need time to mature and adjust. Don't want to make another Kaleb Joseph out of a quality recruit in EA. Frank hasn't even started for us yet and some of you are calling him our worst point guard ever. It's like we've all accepted that SU is incapable of developing guards or something.

But can someone explain to me why there's a belief that EA's going to come in and take Franks job? I understand Frank's a head case and has done much to put his job, which would otherwise be locked to him with his size and experience, in jeopardy. However, I haven't seen much at all that shows me EA would be ready to start from day 1 or even by February.

Recruits need time to mature and adjust. Don't want to make another Kaleb Joseph out of a quality recruit in EA. Frank hasn't even started for us yet and some of you are calling him our worst point guard ever. It's like we've all accepted that SU is incapable of developing guards or something.
Personally, I just want to have 4 capable players at the guard positions. At least two that can play PG against ACC competition. And, let the best man win at each position. Obviously Tyus is going to eat up most of the SG minutes, so let the other three fight it out for the rest of the minutes. I don't care if it is Frank, Howard or Ayala/Thorpe.

Personally, I just want to have 4 capable players at the guard positions. At least two that can play PG against ACC competition. And, let the best man win at each position. Obviously Tyus is going to eat up most of the SG minutes, so let the other three fight it out for the rest of the minutes. I don't care if it is Frank, Howard or Ayala/Thorpe.

I'm fine with that. If I'm being honest, as I've said in other threads, I'd prefer Thorpe in 2017 and EA prioritized in 2018.

Anyone who can dribble under pressure and is willing to make an effort on defense is already better than Howard.
The only thing Howard has in his favor is experience, and that experience is 95% being bad. With past results being the best predictor of future outcomes, I say it's time to give the job to someone else.

Ayala has taken all the necessary steps to go to 2017 if he wants

If you take all the necessary steps, does your high school allow you to come back for 2018 if you choose not to go?

If you take all the necessary steps, does your high school allow you to come back for 2018 if you choose not to go?

High school, probably not but prep school sure thing.

If Ayala is going to wait until August to make a decision, I hope we get Thorpe and then Ayala for 2018. Ayala would not be ready to play PG without the benefit of summer sessions, imo, and August is obviously too late for that to happen. Instead of another PG competition, just let Frank run the show basically all to himself for a year. I'd rather have a confident Frank Howard on a long leash than a Freshman taking PT who's going to be cramming just to have learned how to run a quarter of the offense by the time the season starts.

High school, probably not but prep school sure thing.

If you still have classes left that you could take, despite already meeting the minimum requirements for graduation, I believe high schools will let you come back. It's a slightly different scenario, but I went to HS with a kid who finished halfway through Senior year so he could get a jump start on college. He met the graduation requirements by then but the school would have let him continue taking classes through the end of the school year. Thanks to AP classes, it's possible to graduate a full year early, but I would think the same principle would apply, where high schools would take you back as long as there are classes for you to take.

College programs are on an annual re-build in this modern age. Two years of Ayala may be better but Thorpe next year will be better and we need to focus on maximizing next year's potential. The chance of our anticipated 18-19 roster being what we think, is minimal anyway. Win now - rebuild tomorrow. It stinks but its the state of the game.

College programs are on an annual re-build in this modern age. Two years of Ayala may be better but Thorpe next year will be better and we need to focus on maximizing next year's potential. The chance of our anticipated 18-19 roster being what we think, is minimal anyway. Win now - rebuild tomorrow. It stinks but its the state of the game.

This. I really don't understand how this discussion is even close. Thorpe is by far the better option. An established player who has proven he can produce and steps into ample playing time vs. a guy who might be able to help us out in 2018? But...next season is 2017.

If Ayala is going to wait until August to make a decision, I hope we get Thorpe and then Ayala for 2018. Ayala would not be ready to play PG without the benefit of summer sessions, imo, and August is obviously too late for that to happen. Instead of another PG competition, just let Frank run the show basically all to himself for a year. I'd rather have a confident Frank Howard on a long leash than a Freshman taking PT who's going to be cramming just to have learned how to run a quarter of the offense by the time the season starts.
I am in agreement with some of your points, specifically on to get Thorpe. Regarding FH, he is still unproven and what happens if he gets injured. Believe that Thorpe and Washington could handle the job better than Washington and Alaya.

I wonder what is going on with Alaya and Syracuse. Is there some special secret verbal/handshake/wink-wink between the two parties? Would hate to wait to August to find out that the "wink-wink" was really a cinder in his eye.

There are questions about who would provide the most value between Thorpe and Alaya in 2017-2018. They both have to learn the system and become acclimated with playing with new teammates. All which takes time. Believe that Thorpe (based on experience) has the better upside for the next year but perhaps the Syracuse staff see Alaya having the best upside in year 2 and beyond. While it is a crap shoot, it is up to the staff (head coach) to determine which is the best player for his needs.

Regarding Thorpe, I do not see many teams (outside of Pitt) really fighting for his services and conversely, I do not see any other graduate transfer guards beating down the door to play for Syracuse. While I suggested in another post that a stake be placed in the ground, I now believe that this decision on Alaya/Thorpe may be 1-2 months away. Who has the strongest patience: Thorpe/Syracuse or Syracuse/Alaya? Hope that this does not bite us in the a__es again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom