Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

For the immediate short term, there probably isn't a better infusion of scoring / shooting / talent that we could ask for.

Need to get this done.
Yes sir. I don't think 1 person in this thread would think Ayala is a better 2017 option than Thorpe. Obvioulsy we'd have Ayala for at least 3 years and Thorpe for only 1 year, so I think that's why some people prefer Ayala overall. But in 2017 Thorpe is a no-brainer for a bigger contributor.

Yes sir. I don't think 1 person in this thread would think Ayala is a better 2017 option than Thorpe. Obvioulsy we'd have Ayala for at least 3 years and Thorpe for only 1 year, so I think that's why some people prefer Ayala overall. But in 2017 Thorpe is a no-brainer for a bigger contributor.

Totally get that. I'm just wondering if Ayala is offset by landing Hughes. I envisioned all along that Ayala would be a guy who could play combo guard, but who ultimately would supplant Battle in the lineup after he goes pro. Hughes might fill that latter role [not the former], which could render Ayala more of a "nice" than "need" to have at this point.

Wouldn't be sad to land either player, but would prefer Thorpe for next year. That doesn't preclude Ayala in '18, either.

A huge (some might say THE) source of info being in WA is a huge reason why some people are posting less frequently. Board ridiculousness is another reason.
correct. also, the whispers that suddenly surfaced last fall - and turned into shouts as the weeks passed - of Boeheim being old and out of touch has largely been propagated by that guy's loyalists. and I'm not saying there wasn't some truth to that, but there has been an agenda behind it as well. there has been a power struggle going on behind the scenes & there is more than that particular side of the story.

I'm not saying this as a JB loyalist. it's true that I was once one of his most vocal supporters, but after reading the NCAA sanctions report, I believed he should have been fired (and IMHO Hopkins along with him). and Gross should have been given a Show Cause penalty. In my reading, the principles behind the scandals got off extremely light while the program they were charged with shepherding was thumped.

that being said, I expect JB to come out the other side of sanctions with a few very strong teams. after all, pushing 75 or not, you can count on the fingers of one hand the guys who are better at this than him.

Pretty much nothing new. Also a small blurb about Frankie Policelli too -

“Right now, I will probably make a decision sometime after July right after the last live period,” Ayala said. “For now, it is still up in the air. I am thinking about it a lot, I just haven’t pinpointed my decision just yet. I am definitely coming close to one. I am fully qualified at all aspects with my academics.

“LSU just jumped in for 2017 but mostly all of the schools that I talk to would take me whenever I would want to come out. Everybody is recruiting at a steady pace; Miami came to see me during the school year, Syracuse, Oregon, Arizona, Indiana, a lot of schools are in the mix and staying steady.”

“Right now, I will probably make a decision sometime after July right after the last live period,” Ayala said. “For now, it is still up in the air. I am thinking about it a lot, I just haven’t pinpointed my decision just yet. I am definitely coming close to one. I am fully qualified at all aspects with my academics.

“LSU just jumped in for 2017 but mostly all of the schools that I talk to would take me whenever I would want to come out. Everybody is recruiting at a steady pace; Miami came to see me during the school year, Syracuse, Oregon, Arizona, Indiana, a lot of schools are in the mix and staying steady.”

Too late for SU bro

It never made much sense to me to do all the work to get qualified to graduate early, just to make a decision right before that school year begins. What elite colleges would wait around that long? I get it we did it for Thompson but he was a senior and we knew he was going to college that year.

It never made much sense to me to do all the work to get qualified to graduate early, just to make a decision right before that school year begins. What elite colleges would wait around that long? I get it we did it for Thompson but he was a senior and we knew he was going to college that year.

He did the work for a reason. He got different advise once he went to his AAU team.

correct. also, the whispers that suddenly surfaced last fall - and turned into shouts as the weeks passed - of Boeheim being old and out of touch has largely been propagated by that guy's loyalists. and I'm not saying there wasn't some truth to that, but there has been an agenda behind it as well. there has been a power struggle going on behind the scenes & there is more than that particular side of the story.

I'm not saying this as a JB loyalist. it's true that I was once one of his most vocal supporters, but after reading the NCAA sanctions report, I believed he should have been fired (and IMHO Hopkins along with him). and Gross should have been given a Show Cause penalty. In my reading, the principles behind the scandals got off extremely light while the program they were charged with shepherding was thumped.

that being said, I expect JB to come out the other side of sanctions with a few very strong teams. after all, pushing 75 or not, you can count on the fingers of one hand the guys who are better at this than him.

Not sure about the "out of touch" part, but I think I can confirm even without insider info that JB is definitely old.

We waited long enough. See ya.

Disagree with the sentiment. Because 2018 is still a possibility here.

But in terms of waiting around for him to make a decision? Agree 100%. We take Thorpe if he wants to come. Thorpe doesn't preclude Ayala in 2018. And Thorpe doesn't leave us holding the bag a la Quade Green if Ayala decides not to reclassify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom