Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Disagree with the sentiment. Because 2018 is still a possibility here.

But in terms of waiting around for him to make a decision? Agree 100%. We take Thorpe if he wants to come. Thorpe doesn't preclude Ayala in 2018. And Thorpe doesn't leave us holding the bag a la Quade Green if Ayala decides not to reclassify.

Im still curious if anyone else thinks we'd be less likely to get the kid in 2018 than 2017. Presumably he's going to have more offers in 2018 if he stays there, right? I'm not saying youre saying this, but some folks seem to give the impression we can take Thorpe now and land Ayala in 2018, almost as if he's an entitlement. Those posts are a bit off putting to me. If we want the best odds on the kid, it will be this year. Supposed sacrifice might be required.

Im still curious if anyone else thinks we'd be less likely to get the kid in 2018 than 2017. Presumably he's going to have more offers in 2018 if he stays there, right? I'm not saying youre saying this, but some folks seem to give the impression we can take Thorpe now and land Ayala in 2018, almost as if he's an entitlement. Those posts are a bit off putting to me. If we want the best odds on the kid, it will be this year. Supposed sacrifice might be required.

Entitlement? I just said that if he doesn't come in 2017, then it doesn't make sense to burn a bridge with the kid as some are suggesting. because he's an option in 2018.

Big difference.

Funny the timing and that Eric retweeted the following three in order...

Last edited:
Oregon hasnt done anything, ever.
Oregon might be an on the rise program. But Syracuse has been consistently good to great for nearly 50 years. And we still have the same coach who was in charge for most of that run/built the program. Dana Altman has proven to be a smart, very good coach and their school is swimming in Nike money, but that's a ridiculous response from an Oregon fan. Cuse has been to two Final Fours in the past 5 seasons alone.

I think the days of discussing Ayala are coming to an end. IMO Thorpe will visit Thursday and Friday and sign. I think the staff recognizes that Ayala is not going to commit in enough time, and we can't leave Thorpe hanging.

I have mixed feelings. I preferred Ayala because I like his game/swag. I think it's helpful when the team has an alpha dog. I don't think TT, TB, FH or Thorpe have the swag.

Don't get me wrong, TB is a great player, but I don't see that killer instinct. Kind of like Lydon, a really NICE college player but not a leader. You had to practically beg Lydon to shoot the ball.

Anyhow, I'm straying off topic. I think I would've preferred Ayala, but completely understand that it's time to move on. I hope Thorpe can be the guy what we need. That said, I wish we weren't in the position to have to rely on a 5th year grad transfer.

I think the days of discussing Ayala are coming to an end. IMO Thorpe will visit Thursday and Friday and sign. I think the staff recognizes that Ayala is not going to commit in enough time, and we can't leave Thorpe hanging.

I have mixed feelings. I preferred Ayala because I like his game/swag. I think it's helpful when the team has an alpha dog. I don't think TT, TB, FH or Thorpe have the swag.

Don't get me wrong, TB is a great player, but I don't see that killer instinct. Kind of like Lydon, a really NICE college player but not a leader. You had to practically beg Lydon to shoot the ball.

Anyhow, I'm straying off topic. I think I would've preferred Ayala, but completely understand that it's time to move on. I hope Thorpe can be the guy what we need. That said, I wish we weren't in the position to have to rely on a 5th year grad transfer.
What more could we have done?
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIsAAAAJDUyN2NkNWExLTY4ZDEtNGI2OS05NjlkLTQ0NTZiZTI0N2ExZg.jpg

What more could we have done?
View attachment 99408

I don't think we could've done anything differently with Ayala. I guess I was referring more to wishing we had pursued other PG's besides QG. We had other PG express interest. Oh well...,

But with EA, you're right. I think we've done our best.

I think it would be less likely. We offered the kid our starting job and the keys and he said I'm good going to high school another year. What makes you think he would want to come here. Next year in theory we would be offering the same thing he just delayed/turned down. In theory we could miss out on Carey and Duke and have Marcus go to Udub and then he could come back to us. Seems unlikely though. Just my opinion.

Kid may be looking for a way out of Cuse. "I would have committed, but there wasn't a scholarship left."
The whole AAU thing is a smokescreen. He could commit to SU, then reclassify after the AAU circuit.

I think we asked for a decision on 17. He passed we moved on. Finally

I think we asked for a decision on 17. He passed we moved on. Finally

He wishy washed which is as good as passing at this point.

Agree with everything about Ayala. The waiting game should be over for him. If he wants to get to the league why post pone a year when he has a chance to be featured in a national program. Doesn't make sense and fully expresses his real lack of interest in coming to Cuse.

Battle most certainly has that swag. Watching the last 7-8 minutes of that Duke game is all the proof you need. He had flashes all season even as a freshman that he wanted to be the guy. Comparing him to Lydon is a tough call. Tyus wants the ball and it doesn't take much to see that.

Agree with everything about Ayala. The waiting game should be over for him. If he wants to get to the league why post pone a year when he has a chance to be featured in a national program. Doesn't make sense and fully expresses his real lack of interest in coming to Cuse.

Battle most certainly has that swag. Watching the last 7-8 minutes of that Duke game is all the proof you need. He had flashes all season even as a freshman that he wanted to be the guy. Comparing him to Lydon is a tough call. Tyus wants the ball and it doesn't take much to see that.

Battle is going to be amazing. Yeah, I don't think he will shy away from taking open shots but always with a team-first mentality. I do think Ayala has an alpha dog mindset too. Great post.

I hope you are right about Battle. I love the guy. He's got great skill, and will be an NBA player. Maybe Lydon was not the best comparison, but I'm not sure he has that alpha personality. Time will tell. I hope he does because we need it.

We've placed such great emphasis on landing good kids, that the image of the alpha bad boy, I'm gonna posterize you mentality has been lacking. I miss having a guy like Devo.

I hope you are right about Battle. I love the guy. He's got great skill, and will be an NBA player. Maybe Lydon was not the best comparison, but I'm not sure he has that alpha personality. Time will tell. I hope he does because we need it.

We've placed such great emphasis on landing good kids, that the image of the alpha bad boy, I'm gonna posterize you mentality has been lacking. I miss having a guy like Devo.
Love Devo!!! When he started running his mouth you knew he was gonna light it up. The more trash he talked the better he got.

I think Tyus has that mentality, but it's a lot less "look at me". I think he just has the feeling that the team needs him to takeover.

Entitlement? I just said that if he doesn't come in 2017, then it doesn't make sense to burn a bridge with the kid as some are suggesting. because he's an option in 2018.

Big difference.

As I said, I didnt mean you were the one putting off that vibe, but I get it from others. It's not like we can take Thorpe and assume Ayala will be here next season just because that would fit our needs. If others havent seen folks who seem to think like that, then the more power to you, you werent annoyed by some of this noise, lol. He will have more offers, and you know our track record with kids who wait a long time and start getting offers from better scools.

To those saying we've "moved on", or you "get the sense" that we have(spidey sense?), what is this based on? I'm not at all saying youre wrong, but would like to see if this is anything beyond pure conjecture. I dont have a horse in this race, but would like to know if there is anything factual behind this, so I can temper my expectations.

I think it would be less likely. We offered the kid our starting job and the keys and he said I'm good going to high school another year. What makes you think he would want to come here. Next year in theory we would be offering the same thing he just delayed/turned down. In theory we could miss out on Carey and Duke and have Marcus go to Udub and then he could come back to us. Seems unlikely though. Just my opinion.

Thanks, I don't feel alone now. If he shuns us this year, I think he will likely need to be "hard up" to come next year. Like you said, possible, but I highly doubt this is anywhere near his dream scenario.

To those saying we've "moved on", or you "get the sense" that we have(spidey sense?), what is this based on? I'm not at all saying youre wrong, but would like to see if this is anything beyond pure conjecture. I dont have a horse in this race, but would like to know if there is anything factual behind this, so I can temper my expectations.
I think it's mostly based on the fact we know he is interested in us and we are bringing him to campus. When we did this with the other 5 year guys we offered. The fact he has expressed interest and not taken a visit until now tells me we waited a little while on Ayala but now have decided to take a look at Thorpe and then offer. I can't imagine he doesn't say yes. Here he would be playing next to a 1st round pick in Battle with multiple front court players who are capable and have a shot to play in the tourney. Won't happen at Pitt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom