Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

He played himself and I think he's starting to realize it. Good luck to the kid though.
Talented kid. But he's descended into the netherworld. Now he's "all business" (no kidding), with the all-too-familiar posturing/handlers, etc.. So I'm fine that we moved on. At least WE didn't get played this time.

Last edited:
Talented kid. But he's descended into the netherworld of "all business" (no kidding) with the accompanying posturing/handlers, etc.. So I'm fine that we moved on. At least WE didn't get played this time.
Agree 100%. Kid got bad advice and follow it. It happens but it's great that it wasn't us that got played this time.

Exactly. Also, a big part of the reason that you've seen a shift in some of SU's recruiting strategy - going outside the NE to recruit Bazley, bringing in a transfer from ECU (no AAU coaches involved), bringing in a kid from overseas... none of these involved working with our normal NE AAU contacts. There has been some damage done that will need repairing.

Yikes. Thanks for the insight.

What jumps out to me is that nearly 30% of the top 100 have signed already. Yikes.

Biggest thing that jumps out to me is we're drooling over a kid who's rated 50 like we used to drool over guys who were in the top 15.

Biggest thing that jumps out to me is we're drooling over a kid who's rated 50 like we used to drool over guys who were in the top 15.
He is a lot better than that. Duke doesn't go after this guy this early that are rated 50. And by the way, we didn't get as many top 15 recruits as we would like to remember we did.

He is a lot better than that. Duke doesn't go after this guy this early that are rated 50. And by the way, we didn't get as many top 15 recruits as we would like to remember we did.

That is true. I like the kid, he'll probably move up to the 20s at some point.

Exactly. Also, a big part of the reason that you've seen a shift in some of SU's recruiting strategy - going outside the NE to recruit Bazley, bringing in a transfer from ECU (no AAU coaches involved), bringing in a kid from overseas... none of these involved working with our normal NE AAU contacts. There has been some damage done that will need repairing.

Would love to hear the reasoning behind the damage control. Where are these problems stemming from? Kinda confusing.

srsly, and not aimed at you jordville for posting it, how many versions of the same Ayala article do we need? last two months we've had this same "update" come out about 13 or so times
They're not the same. A $ gets added to each version. ;)

We don't get many top 15 kids. We've made Final Fours recently with zero top 15 kids.

Would love to hear the reasoning behind the damage control. Where are these problems stemming from? Kinda confusing.
I'm not sure what is implied by the OP. But it's totally messed up if AAU coaches are somehow mad at JB or are shunning our assistant coaches because JB didn't want to retire or perceiving that he screwed Hop over (even though he left of his own volition). JB gave Hop the opportunity of a lifetime and mentored him as his heir apparent, and Hop always acknowledges that. JB built the program and for decades has given his assistants amazing opportunities to learn the ropes and shoulder major head coach-like responsibilities and really spread their wings. His former assistants, including Hop, sing his praises ALL the time.

Just going over our recruiting (Scout) since 2010, we haven't had many top 15, but if you stretch it out to top 25 or top 30 +/-, we've had one pretty much every year:

2010 (Fab - 14; Dion - 27)
2011 (Roc X-mas - 21)
2012 (DC - 19)
2013 (TE - 22)
2014 (CM - 18)
2015 (MR - 29)
2016 (TB - 33)

I'm not sure what is implied by the OP. But it's totally messed up if AAU coaches are somehow mad at JB or are shunning our assistant coaches because JB didn't want to retire or perceiving that he screwed Hop over (even though he left of his own volition). JB gave Hop the opportunity of a lifetime and mentored him as his heir apparent, and Hop always acknowledges that. JB built the program and for decades has given his assistants amazing opportunities to learn the ropes and shoulder major head coach-like responsibilities and really spread their wings. His former assistants, including Hop, sing his praises ALL the time.

Exactly. Trying to figure out why the fault is on Boeheim and Syracuse because Hopkins took a 12 million dollar pay day at a legitimate west coast program. I could see maybe mass rivals having a problem because of the kaleb situation. But then again kaleb was given every opportunity here and just didn't get it done.

Officially this was supposed to be JB's last season with Hopkins stepping in after words. Hopkins was strangely not very involved with recruiting the 2017 class. He goes to the Olympics with JB rather than being at SU to work on recruiting and shaping his future team. Washington didn't just magically know Hop was available and willing to take the job ASAP when they let Romar go.

I agree with Francis on this one. I think he's gonna end up 2017 when it's all said and done, but his options are really going to be closing if he keeps dragging his feet.

He's not a one and done, so why put it off a year? Another year at prep will be a waste of his time.

Was going to revert back to this post today when thinking about how it seems we will miss on Swider, and how that may not have happened with Hop.

Well if he does go 2017 is there any possibility he comes to the cuse? Or is there just no room at the inn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom