Class of 2024 - SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered

Well said. I'm, like you, not super worried about schollies available, the topic just came to the forefront for me after Judah said he would return, given the two 2024 commits already, plus SU seemingly still pursuing several more juniors. Given 13 players, I assume a couple of guys will be unhappy with PT and look to hit the portal after 2023-24...besides Judah and maybe J.J., are there any SU players who you think could eye the draft after this coming season? Benny if he's awesome perhaps???
Judah... obviously.
JJ, Chance, Benny.. all have that potential. Just have to wait and see what happens...

If we have a great year and go deep into the tournament, along with Judah, I can see one of JJ, Westry or Benny bolting for the NBA (most likely JJ). Putting 2 guards in the first round will help recruiting 5 star guards in the future. Also, if we go with a 3 guard lineup and its successful, a forward and center might portal due to lack of playing time. We already have one too many centers.

Judah... obviously.
JJ, Chance, Benny.. all have that potential. Just have to wait and see what happens...
if they have good years, Judah and JJ are the two most likely to enter next year’s draft.

Benny would have to have a monster all round Year to turn pro. His problem is that he has yet to demonstrate any consistency at this level,to warrant being NBA potential.

If either Naheem or Hima have a double double (points, rebounds or blocks) year, one of them could enter the draft also.

Westry and Cuffe are at a disadvantage because they are coming off injuries and have not shown any real ability to date.

Age could be a factor for Westry (21) as well as Nakeem (23).

Have to figure at least 2 players will leave for the draft next year and two others will transfer. Given that, we should enjoy the talent and potential these 13 players have to offer this year.

Last edited:
Please don’t put NBA and Benny in the same sentence.

Why?
Yeah, I have the same question. I don't think it's too far of a reach to think Benny could shoot at the same percentage from 3 (40%), rebound better from more man to man, and do some other things on the court that help the team win. If he does, he could certainly get some looks from nba teams.

Benny has to become tougher, consistent with play and effort, and show a skill that will translate to the NBA. He’s done none of this to this point.

Benny has to become tougher, consistent with play and effort, and show a skill that will translate to the NBA. He’s done none of this to this point.
If Benny has a yr like that. Cuse is going to the tournament

I’m not as high on Benny either, it actually drives me crazy that somehow it was Boeheim’s fault he didn’t perform… players do have some culpability in their own performance, right? Some? I do know over two years Boeheim has given him more opportunities & minutes than I would.

2 years of alleged “plus” athleticism has never garnered a single memorable play/dunk. Ever. He just does not finish through contact at all. I can’t remember a single and1 for him at the rim. His hands are weak, he loses the ball often with minimal contact in traffic, not a great dribbler either. The weird rip the jersey attitude stuff isn’t a great vibe either.

His shot improved & I love that he’s more confident in his perimeter game. He took some production steps too, we celebrate that. Hopefully he’s a solid college basketball starting forward - but NBA?! Seriously? No way.

It's not needed.
Do you disagree with my take that Williams is not an NBA player & basically never utilizes his athleticism in game? I genuinely don’t think you can find another clip… have you ever seen Williams dunk on anyone? In about a minute we could pull 3-4 examples from Jeremi Grant in his 2 years who did have plus athleticism & used it.

I’m not as high on Benny either, it actually drives me crazy that somehow it was Boeheim’s fault he didn’t perform… players do have some culpability in their own performance, right? Some? I do know over two years Boeheim has given him more opportunities & minutes than I would.

2 years of alleged “plus” athleticism has never garnered a single memorable play/dunk. Ever. He just does not finish through contact at all. I can’t remember a single and1 for him at the rim. His hands are weak, he loses the ball often with minimal contact in traffic, not a great dribbler either. The weird rip the jersey attitude stuff isn’t a great vibe either.

His shot improved & I love that he’s more confident in his perimeter game. He took some production steps too, we celebrate that. Hopefully he’s a solid college basketball starting forward - but NBA?! Seriously? No way.
He’s basically the 2020’s version of LeRon Ellis.

Do you disagree with my take that Williams is not an NBA player & basically never utilizes his athleticism in game? I genuinely don’t think you can find another clip… have you ever seen Williams dunk on anyone? In about a minute we could pull 3-4 examples from Jeremi Grant in his 2 years who did have plus athleticism & used it.
Benny has had some putback dunks and other good dunks. But, he spends way too much time at the three point line. Hopefully, in Red’s offense, he finds himself in position to utilize his elite athleticism better.

I disagreed with your take that he's never had a single memorable play.

I have no idea if Benny is an NBA player or not… but I do believe he has the athleticism to be an NBA player. However he doesn’t have any sort of handle and more importantly he doesn’t seem to have much feel for the game. He reminds me of Obi Toppin, great athlete who more often than not has no clue what he’s doing on the court. Having said that Toppin was a good and consistent scorer in college and Benny hasn’t shown that.

Benny is going to play better simply bc of his relationship with Red. Red is going to let him play while still holding him accountable. Don’t think you guys truly understand how bad his relationship was with JB. Just knowing he is no longer going to critique every single thing he does is going to free up Benny. Trust me

Sorry mods for replying here in this thread.
On a Bethea note, he is the most coveted recruit by far for the staff and it’s not close

I disagreed with your take that he's never had a single memorable play.
Everyone has different things that are “memorable”. The fact that you can find a clip that stands out to you does not mean that is was memorable to anyone else.
I really don’t have any specific memories of anything that Benny has done. I know he has had good and bad games, but that’s it. Judah, Joe and Jesse all have runs of play that stand out, still. (I could not always tell vs which team, etc., but their play stands out.)
The pissing matches people get into…

Benny isn’t an NBA player. To suggest he is, isn’t grounded in reality. I like to discuss the teams and players in the context of reality. Although, I hope he has a killer year and brings us to the promised land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom