Class of 2019 - SG Khalif Battle (NJ) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SG Khalif Battle (NJ)

Oh geez, really? I've heard the staff is high on him, but I didn't know he was that talented. He certainly has the "look" (uber-confident), no?!

But that would answer some questions ... Kalif would slide right into the 2 and take over for big bro.

Well, then to balance that, Tyus will be a senior in 2019-2020. Put him back on the board!

Oh geez, really? I've heard the staff is high on him, but I didn't know he was that talented. He certainly has the "look" (uber-confident), no?!

But that would answer some questions ... Kalif would slide right into the 2 and take over for big bro.

That’s just based on the staff really liking EH a lot. Also I watched him a little because he was at South Kent with Moyer for a year and he did look impressive. I didn’t see more than a few highlights of Hughes at ECU.

We will see how he plays against better college competition but I’m just saying Hughes is another guy we can’t write in pen as being here in ‘19-20.

That’s just based on the staff really liking EH a lot. Also I watched him a little because he was at South Kent with Moyer for a year and he did look impressive. I didn’t see more than a few highlights of Hughes at ECU.

We will see how he plays against better college competition but I’m just saying Hughes is another guy we can’t write in pen as being here in ‘19-20.
Well that makes it even ... every presumptive starter could be gone. Not sure how you plan a roster around that, but least JB will be the coach.

Well that makes it even ... every presumptive starter could be gone. Not sure how you plan a roster around that, but least JB will be the coach.
FH and EH will be a dynamic starting backcourt next year. Howard W and Carey will fight for the 3rd guard scraps. I know Carey plans to start but i would be very surprosed if he beats out EH. Hughes is very good. Better than Geno was by quite a bit I've been told

FH and EH will be a dynamic starting backcourt next year. Howard W and Carey will fight for the 3rd guard scraps. I know Carey plans to start but i would be very surprosed if he beats out EH. Hughes is very good. Better than Geno was by quite a bit I've been told

So, kinda related to this, and to 2019 recruiting:
we have offers out to Khalif Battle, Kahlil Whitney, and Precious Achiuwa - all of whom are talented wings, and any of whom would look outstanding wearing Orange.

Do we know who's top of the wish list for the staff?
I'm curious how they shake out in terms of what we'd like to get.

Achiuwa is by far the highest ranked, Top 25. I don't see Baby Battle ranked highly anywhere, outside Top 100.
(my take - ALL of them!! Sign all the wings, let JB sort 'em out! :cool:)

So, kinda related to this, and to 2019 recruiting:
we have offers out to Khalif Battle, Kahlil Whitney, and Precious Achiuwa - all of whom are talented wings, and any of whom would look outstanding wearing Orange.

Do we know who's top of the wish list for the staff?
I'm curious how they shake out in terms of what we'd like to get.

Achiuwa is by far the highest ranked, Top 25. I don't see Baby Battle ranked highly anywhere, outside Top 100.
(my take - ALL of them!! Sign all the wings, let JB sort 'em out! :cool:)
I'll take a stab, and Iommi or Jordoo can chime in if I'm off. I see the following:

- Kalif Battle - seems like the staff is high on him. And we're probably in good shape as JB has visited with him and his dad recently. He obviously has a strong connection to SU with his brother playing here and is a talented/athletic scorer. I think the staff is looking at him as a SG. At that spot, Buddy will be a sophomore and Hughes will be a junior (transfer). But minutes might be available since Iommi indicated up-thread that Hughes might go pro before '19;

- Kahlil Whitney, last time I checked, is 6'6 and probably still growing since he's in the '19 class. The staff may project him as a 3, which would mean that we could take Kalif and Kahlil to play the 2 and 3. He's talked recently about setting up a visit, and it appears that the staff is in frequent contact. Small forward is probably a position of need in '19, since it's also not looking like Brissett's going to last.

- Precious is a dream-forward. At 6'9", he's in the Bazely mode (yes he's that talented). He can do it at all 3 levels, protect the rim in the zone and stretch the D. I think we're on his radar but there are many blue bloods interested.

[Add: I'm not as familiar with the other front line guys we're recruiting, except the staff's high on Stewart at PF. He's a physical beast with a local (Rochester) connection. Things took a downhill turn when we went away to prep, but it looks like he still has interest since he was at the Oakland game]

Last edited:
^
Good summation, Reed. One thing on Khalif. He was on the shelf last year with back issues because he was growing so much. I mention that because maybe he winds up 6'6" and can play SF. The staff is viewing him as a wing for sure but that's worth monitoring. Khalif loves the program and we have treated Tyus well but this kid has plenty of suitors. 721Comstock mentioned that Khalif isn't that highly-rated. A lot of that is based on his injury last year. He's a top 50 talent. My concern is we have so many 2 types. Would Battle come here if we have so many guards? Not sure but if he grows into a 3 that could change the equation.

I will try to monitor Whitney a bit closer this year.

Precious is awesome but as I've said, he's in no apparent rush to do anything. We certainly can't be considered favorites but this kid will hold his cards to close to the vest. Expect a low key recruitment without any circus theatrics.

On the bigs, I think we will look closely at Ajak. Maybe Igiehon. I'm not as well-versed on how we stand with the bigs as the wings and the guards.

To me, a big need is a dynamic do-it-all forward and Precious would be that guy. He has to be our biggest target in '19, though we clearly need another center to replace PC. I have a feeling we might look to Canada for a big in '19.

^
Good summation, Reed. One thing on Khalif. He was on the shelf last year with back issues because he was growing so much. I mention that because maybe he winds up 6'6" and can play SF. The staff is viewing him as a wing for sure but that's worth monitoring. Khalif loves the program and we have treated Tyus well but this kid has plenty of suitors. 721Comstock mentioned that Khalif isn't that highly-rated. A lot of that is based on his injury last year. He's a top 50 talent. My concern is we have so many 2 types. Would Battle come here if we have so many guards? Not sure but if he grows into a 3 that could change the equation.

I will try to monitor Whitney a bit closer this year.

Precious is awesome but as I've said, he's in no apparent rush to do anything. We certainly can't be considered favorites but this kid will hold his cards to close to the vest. Expect a low key recruitment without any circus theatrics.

On the bigs, I think we will look closely at Ajak. Maybe Igiehon. I'm not as well-versed on how we stand with the bigs as the wings and the guards.

To me, a big need is a dynamic do-it-all forward and Precious would be that guy. He has to be our biggest target in '19, though we clearly need another center to replace PC. I have a feeling we might look to Canada for a big in '19.
Wow, didn't realize Kalif had grown that much. On the other hand, his brother's a SG at 6'6", so hopefully he'll come in and continue the magic. Tyus has been excellent at the position and has no problem checking guards. But then he's probably gone after this year. Lately it appears that Hughes might also be a pro prospect. If he lasts until '19, he'd be in the way at SG. If not, only BB is there and there would be minutes.

I'm guessing that the staff would want more size on the front line at SF ... like a Stewart or Precious. Our defense and rebounding is SOOOO much better with the length.

Wow, didn't realize Kalif had grown that much. On the other hand, his brother's a SG at 6'6", so hopefully he'll come in and continue the magic. Tyus has been excellent at the position and has no problem checking guards. But then he's probably gone after this year. Lately it appears that Hughes might also be a pro prospect. If he lasts until '19, he'd be in the way at SG. If not, only BB is there and there would be minutes.

I'm guessing that the staff would want more size on the front line at SF ... like a Stewart or Precious. Our defense and rebounding is SOOOO much better with the length.

I didn't say Khalif is 6'6", just that he's been growing a lot so maybe he winds up close to that. (In case you misinterpreted me)

I agree we will continue to recruit length up front of course but if Khalif wants to come here, he will and he will see plenty of floor time.

I've heard Khalif has not been playing well in practice the last couple weeks. He's been outplayed by Paul Mulcahy, who is a very good 4-star guard. Hopefully Khalif is just in a funk.

I've heard Khalif has not been playing well in practice the last couple weeks. He's been outplayed by Paul Mulcahy, who is a very good 4-star guard. Hopefully Khalif is just in a funk.
Growth spurt?

Yep, Mulcahy playing really well. Told Seton Hall and Rutgers going at him hard. I'm also told Butler is going guns blazing after Khalif, for what it's worth. There were about a half dozen schools in to see Khalif in the past 2 weeks and he's not been playing close to his best. Not being aggressive, lots of east-west dribbling, to be specific.

Yep, Mulcahy playing really well. Told Seton Hall and Rutgers going at him hard. I'm also told Butler is going guns blazing after Khalif, for what it's worth. There were about a half dozen schools in to see Khalif in the past 2 weeks and he's not been playing close to his best. Not being aggressive, lots of east-west dribbling, to be specific.
Not good. North south is always the way to go! I hope he turns it around. Maybe just needs time to work together. He's been to what, 8 schools in the past 2 weeks? :)

Well, that's going to be tough to 'transfer' at this point. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Brewster? ;)

Maybe he goes to a public school? I really don't know. Odd situation and timing. When I found out about this tonight, I was not surprised at all. He's not been himself for weeks according to two sources.

Virginia Tech making hard push for Mulcahy. Hope Battle gets his act together.