Class of 2019 - SG Khalif Battle (NJ) | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SG Khalif Battle (NJ)

Young Battle linked up with the Playaz and had himself a nice weekend in Atlanta... 17.3 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 2.0 APG

th

I can't see this kid coming here, fighting for minutes behind the coach's son.
Different skill set. A 3 guard line up with him Kadary and Buddy, gives us size, and shooting.

Different skill set. A 3 guard line up with him Kadary and Buddy, gives us size, and shooting.

Full disclosure--I'm not familiar with his skill set--is he a combo or purely a scorer?

I can't see this kid coming here, fighting for minutes behind the coach's son.
I get what you are saying but isn’t it an issue when the coach’s son playing time is a negative for us getting more talent in here.

That is unbelievably frustrating.
Buddy shouldn’t be a 3 year starter who plays 35+ MPG that we can’t get other kids to want to play here.
It’s just incredible.(Note I am not directing this at you)

We need to use our scholarships up.
It’s just bad to have 3 walkons on scholarship next year.
Battle should be a candidate.

I get what you are saying but isn’t it an issue when the coach’s son playing time is a negative for us getting more talent in here.

Buddy shouldn’t be a 3 year starter who plays 35+ MPG that we can’t get other kids to want to play here.

Jim Satalin had a funny comment last year -- when he said that Steph Curry wouldn't start over Buddy.

Any guard is going to be facing an uphill battle for PT with the two incumbents. If this kid is one-dimensional -- and let's be honest, he wasn't the same caliber of recruit as his older brother was -- than he might not be what we need. I'm not selling him short -- I admit that I don't have a handle on his game / what his capabilities are.

Likewise, this isn't directed at you -- but recruiting is a two-way street; it takes two to tango. If Battle is leaving in search of more bountiful playing time, then see Satalin's comment above. If he's willing to compete for PT and be a cog on a team that could be potentially good over the course of his career, then sure -- he should be a prospective candidate to add.

Last edited:
Jim Satalin had a funny comment last year -- when he said that Steph Curry wouldn't start over Buddy.

Any guard is going to be facing an uphill battle for PT with the two incumbents. If this kid is one-dimensional -- and let's be honest, he wasn't the same caliber of recruit as his older brother was -- than he might not be what we need.
I think he is an upgrade to Goodine, he isn't as big as his brother, His brother was a 2/3. Khalif is a combo who needs to develop as a pg to have a pro career.

We also have a great relationship with the family.

Need a transfer or a quality FR just for quality competitive practices

Need a transfer or a quality FR just for quality competitive practices
If we can’t recruit a SG or combo guard because they see Buddy Boeheim’s playing time as a road block that is a joke.
It needs to be said to Jim Boeheim’s face.
We should be able to recruit as a program atleast 4 guards.
It’s kinda obvious why kids wouldn’t want to come here next year and have to sit 2 years for an average to slightly above player.
A transfer would only lose one year though if they came on now.

Leaving Buddy out of this, but Khalif isn’t that good.

He will move down in competition.

I kind of laugh at how everyone that announces they are transferring suddenly becomes a candidate or someone we should target.

Some guys are decent players, but they are just more of what we have and will not help the roster dynamic.

We need someone who is good enough that they can force JB to give them minutes next year and take minutes from BB and JGIII. If they can't do that, then they don't really help and are really putting themselves in a position where they may only get minutes if there is an injury. It might help the roster on paper, but it does nothing for improving the product we will see on the court.

I kind of laugh at how everyone that announces they are transferring suddenly becomes a candidate or someone we should target.

Some guys are decent players, but they are just more of what we have and will not help the roster dynamic.

We need someone who is good enough that they can force JB to give them minutes next year and take minutes from BB and JGIII. If they can't do that, then they don't really help and are really putting themselves in a position where they may only get minutes if there is an injury. It might help the roster on paper, but it does nothing for improving the product we will see on the court.

Hmm...I also think we need a 4th guard who KNOWS he’s the 4th guard and can handle that.

Hard to get someone to transfer into that though. Bummer that Washington wasn’t that guy. On paper he would be perfect for that. He’d rather be playing and putting up a basic 8 and 5 at a scrub school though. To each his own, I guess.

Hmm...I also think we need a 4th guard who KNOWS he’s the 4th guard and can handle that.

Hard to get someone to transfer into that though. Bummer that Washington wasn’t that guy. On paper he would be perfect for that. He’d rather be playing and putting up a basic 8 and 5 at a scrub school though. To each his own, I guess.
I wonder why Washington left.

There has to be a reason. It’s not because he wasn’t going to start he knew that when he came.

Agree completely, but I think that 4th guard spot will be impossible to fill by transfer. It really is a dead end role on our roster. You'll have incumbent 35+ mpg guys coming back for the next two years and then have Dior and whatever reenforcements he brings with him to make sure that the 4th guard stays a 4th guard. That is a really difficult situation to sell.

he wasn’t going to start he knew that when he came.

One would think. Who knows though? I’ve known so many kids whose expectations didn’t line up with reality when it comes to sports, through the years.

Maybe he really thought he was going to surprise everyone and beat the odds and “prove all the doubters wrong” here? That same attitude that maybe helps athletes overachieve in some cases, also makes for disgruntled role players in others?

I wonder why Washington left.

There has to be a reason. It’s not because he wasn’t going to start he knew that when he came.

We never for a minute consider that the kid may realize his future isn't playing basketball and he may be using his remaining eligibility to try to improve his academic situation?? Tough to know unless you know him personally, or until you see the situation he ends up in.