Class of 2025 - SG Meleek Thomas (PA) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 SG Meleek Thomas (PA)

Hopkins16

2nd String
Are we interested in this 5 star player? Seems like other schools are cooling off, and he could be Judah on steroids. There is an SI article that states Alabama, UConn and other top schools are backing off of him and goes on to say... "Suggestions that Thomas wouldn’t buy completely into a team culture align with other reports that he may prefer to attend a school where he’s not surrounded by other five-star recruits -- perhaps a place like Syracuse, where Thomas could dominate the ball and leave no doubt in the minds of NBA scouts as to his full offensive arsenal."

He is a real talent and we are having problems closing on these type of players. If he were to come to us, could we somehow manage a player like this for one year, get him into the lottery, not blow up the team, and help us with other 5 star recruits down the line? Or is too much of a gamble to take?

It's interesting that Weingarten mentioned us. However, I think it is going to be tough to beat out Alabama and Arkansas. At the end, he mentioned that it could come down to NIL, which would not be great either.

Not the type of player I see us getting involved with. Especially with our focus on analytics.
Hmm... 9th ranked on ESPN 100, ranked higher than any point guard we went after (Acaden, Easter and Tillery). We desperately need a pg in this class and really can't rely on the portal to get a top notch guard (example: Carlos). He should be an option, especially if we are still considering Tyler Jackson.
Can you explain how he does not fit our analytics as we've had for the last 10 years teams that did not make sense on paper and on the floor.

Hmm... 9th ranked on ESPN 100, ranked higher than any point guard we went after (Acaden, Easter and Tillery). We desperately need a pg in this class and really can't rely on the portal to get a top notch guard (example: Carlos). He should be an option, especially if we are still considering Tyler Jackson.
Can you explain how he does not fit our analytics as we've had for the last 10 years teams that did not make sense on paper and on the floor.
They aren’t recruiting based on ranking. It’s about fit and playing style. Red wants to move away from heavy isolation players as it is.

Seems like a guy Red would stay far away from. That being said I assume we’re kicking the tires behind the scenes otherwise us being mentioned in that article seems way out of left field

They aren’t recruiting based on ranking. It’s about fit and playing style. Red wants to move away from heavy isolation players as it is.
I understand, strategy and style of play. But for the short term, I think it would help the program in the long run if we could land a guy like Meleek and get him into the first round along with Sadiq, and Donovan. Once we've proven that we can put top recruits into the NBA, we won't have trouble closing on the 5 star players who fit into our analytics and formula for team success.

I understand, strategy and style of play. But for the short term, I think it would help the program in the long run if we could land a guy like Meleek and get him into the first round along with Sadiq, and Donovan. Once we've proven that we can put top recruits into the NBA, we won't have trouble closing on the 5 star players who fit into our analytics and formula for team success.
After this past season with Judah I can’t see it happening. Trust the process.

I dont think JB spent much time on analytics, Red probably brought in this new concept to the program.

Not sure we want another Judah like me first PG again

Not the type of player I see us getting involved with. Especially with our focus on analytics.
and for good reason

JB focused on iso players (to his detriment...down the stretch of his career)...and Red sees thats not the way

besides, SU has 3 5 stars on this roster...this team is not the place for ball hogs...as evidenced by Q and Judah being told to kick rocks (not to be too harsh to them...but last years team literally was unable to play team basketball if they tried...which was THE REASON the season flopped)

Thomas is an elite scorer but definitely not a PG. We’d definitely take him if he wants to come here but it sounds like he’s chasing the bag

Sometimes a great player is bad for chemistry. Teams win, 1 on 5 guys who put themselves first do not. The best player ever, Michael Jordan, excelled in a team system at UNC which in spite of his talent did not revolve solely around him. That being said players like Bill Bradley and Oscar Roberton at Princeton and Cincinatti respectively were on teams in which the coach told their teammates that the team would only go so far as Bill and Oscar would take them. Just this year Caitlin Clark almost singlehandedly got her team the finals, but I think the team concept is the way to go. Of course you need great players still, they just need to be willing to put the team first and have the confidence the payday will come eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom