1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

Class of 2018 SG Robby Carmody - Mars (PA)- Offered by Syracuse

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by Deano, Aug 25, 2016.

1. rackman18

rackman18 Starter

I'm sorry guys I keep saying this to you. There is something really wrong with our recruiting and coaches. It just isn't getting any better. I can't wait to tell a few on here, I told you so.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Dmcnabbrules

Dmcnabbrules Starter

There is something really wrong with you're grammar. Sorry I could help myself.

General20, Todoubled23 and rackman18 like this.
  3. 721Comstock

721Comstock Starter

Pot, meet kettle.

4. rackman18

rackman18 Starter

I deserved that. :bang:

5. Dmcnabbrules

Dmcnabbrules Starter

It was part of the joke.

6. Funk Doc

Funk Doc Scout Team

I'll agree that the coaching has been questionable. Our recruiting has been different in that we went after a group of guys at a level that historically we don't land(other than a few outliers), and surprise surprise we didn't land them. The only real problem is that we didn't keep any backup plans. So if you are referring to not having a backup plan, then you are right, and unless some miracles happen, we are in for some really dud years. But overall, our recruiting hasn't taken as much of a dip as you think. Many of us want to think that we can compete in recruiting with the UK, Duke, Kansas's of the world, but history has proven that we just can't.

7. jr4750

jr4750 All American

I want to question you on that statement. Yes, we did not land the guys we went after, but, I am not sure they were at a level that we don't win our share at. In fact, the recent losses, were late bloomers, Quade Green and Brandon Randolph most notably, that were in the mid 50's or so, and have only jumped up in this last year. Very similar to MCW, Ennis, etc. The difference was we couldn't land them in their soph/junior years, which should have been the hint to move on. In typical Cuse fashion, our coaches identified them early, and we had as good a shot as any at them. Nick Richards is a kid we were in on early, but, I think we saw the writing, when he didn't visit, and started talking about his dislike of zone defenses. Mo Bamba was never coming here, and the coaches knew it. The Randolph recruitment is weird, and the rumors on this board lend some credence to what might have happened there. Quade is what it is. Moral of my rant, besides Richards, we aren't going after the top 10 kids, that UK, Duke, Kansas typically get. We made a run at that kid who committed to KU recently, but, only because a late window presented itself (Oak Hill connections), and I hope the coaches always do that when presented. Brissett, Sidibe, those are our type of recruits. The true error imo was putting all our eggs in one or two baskets, adding on top of that, the sanctions, which are hurting our depth. Otherwise, I don't believe our strategy in terms of the type of player we targeted was much different than years past.

8. Funk Doc

Funk Doc Scout Team

Yeah I understand that, I guess I worded it wrong, and agree that we used to lock kids up early, but no one really does that anymore. I don't mind the targets, but with the change of no one committing early anymore, my biggest concern was not having any backup plans.

jr4750 likes this.
  9. Funk Doc

Funk Doc Scout Team

But yes, my main point was arguing that our recruiting is not our problem right now, as I agree with you, it hasn't much changed.

10. TheGov3304

TheGov3304 Scout Team

Kid is from a different planet...

11. FrancoPizza

FrancoPizza Starter

Maybe GMac should stick to auto commercials.

Djb6649 and two3zone like this.
  12. Antiprodigy

Antiprodigy 2nd String

Why would you say this? Or, more correctly, why would an SU fan say this?

You will be happy to rub it in other people's face that the team you supposedly are a big fan of, has a major problem on the recruiting front?

I really am a fan of SU, and I would never even think of hoping that the program has a problem...

13. rackman18

rackman18 Starter

First of all it would not be to rub it in their faces, it would be to make a point that I was trying to make to them.. I wish nothing bad on the team either. If you have been watching the last couple years and the recruiting to me has been terrible. We have spent all this time on Q.Green and as far as I am concern got a good old fashion slap in the face. I just feel these coaches can not recruit and or teach our players how to play as a team.. I loved when they played for us, but coaching is a different story. You watch the games now, and you will see so much inconsistency in this team and to me it starts with the coaches and it ends there. You can be a fan but if you can't be honest and say what you really feel,good and bad, then you are a phony. By the way these are just my opinions and probably the only one that really matters to, is me. lol

14. Funk Doc

Funk Doc Scout Team

I'm fully on board the team chemistry being a problem, and maybe the player development to a small extent, but once again recruiting is not really that big of a problem. Our hall of fame coach announcing his exit date plus sanctions has hurt us more than anything on the recruiting front. We just had a few misses, like kaleb, buss, chino, etc. But you can't forget that these last couple classes also had Tyus, Mali, Lydon, TT.

Quade is very good, but he's not program changing good, like Melo was and yeah he did us dirty, but that doesn't show a major flaw in recruiting.

rackman18 likes this.
  15. rackman18

rackman18 Starter

You raise a few good points also but my concern on the recruiting was we spent a lot of time on Green and lost out without a backup plan. We should have worked Coleman or Washington more and took the first to commit. I believe it would have been Washington and personally I feel he is as good as Green and may be better in so areas. Now we are stuck without a proven pg and hope that something good will fall into our lap. At this point we are hurting big time for pg, sg and wings. jmo

16. Orngeinda6

Orngeinda6 Walk On

Don't underestimate the effects of the sanctions on our recruiting recently. People seem to be forgetting we don't have as many coaches on the road as everyone else and thus don't have as much contact with these kids. Granted that may not have helped with the 5* guys but it certainly would have made a difference. The lost scholarships may not have been the worst part of the sanctions. The diminished presence on the recruiting circuit was probably the most damaging in the end.

17. Funk Doc

Funk Doc Scout Team

100% agree...the no backup plan was just plain stupid.

rackman18 likes this.
  18. Capt. Tuttle

Capt. Tuttle Living Legend

IF a kid tells you for months he is coming, and he is the guy you want, why have a back up plan?

19. Funk Doc

Funk Doc Scout Team

I get that and I get that he pretty much played us, but in the end this is a business and if the recruits are treating it as such, then why don't we?

rackman18 likes this.
  20. rackman18

rackman18 Starter

You are dealing with 17 and 18 year old kids that change their mines more than they change their underwear. This has become a business today and any kind of business you better have a back up plan or you may be out of business soon. If our recruiting doesn't get better soon, we will be out of business. jmo