Class of 2022 - SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch) Offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch) Offered

Kid is terrific -- would hate to lose Westry over him, but also dislike missing out on stud in-state prospects while pursuing a bird in the bush.

Hope the staff feels good about Westry.
We are talking about 2 years from now. The world is changing then anything can change.

In case anyone was curious, he mentions Syracuse around the 7:45 mark. I would absolutely love to get this kid. An upstate kid who I think would be perfect in our zone.

We are involved with a bunch of great guards in the class of 2022.

If one of them wants to come here, they would be well advised to commit first.

It is a good problem to have.

But I confess that I'll feel more comfortable when some dominoes start toppling. Thought that Dior might trigger an avalanche -- he still might, but it hasn't happened yet.

I wouldn’t bet the house on Westry if Dior doesn’t come. I would tell all these guys, first to commit gets the scholarship. I wouldn’t mess around with any top 100 recruits. You snooze, you loose. If we count on Dior, some of these guys will wait to see what he does. SU can’t wait. I would take Gayle today. You don't say no to top 50 kids, plus he’s right down the road.
Gayle and Starling, come on down.

Kid is terrific -- would hate to lose Westry over him, but also dislike missing out on stud in-state prospects while pursuing a bird in the bush.

A bird in the hand is the way to go. Westry is a stud, but what happens if he goes G League two years from now? Get the early commitment from the top 50 kid in your backyard if he wants to go to SU.

A bird in the hand is the way to go. Westry is a stud, but what happens if he goes G League two years from now? Get the early commitment from the top 50 kid in your backyard if he wants to go to SU.
Gives me a flashback to 35 years ago, sitting in the stands at Manley, watching some Empire State Games. In the stands above me was a conversation. I'm not sure who was listening, but an Upstate D-III coach was doing the talking. Subject: recruiting guards. Coach said (paraphrasing): I told Jimmy to take Monroe. He's good and he wants to come here. But Jimmy thinks he can get Pearl.

Fortunately, we got them both.

PS. Couple of other nice guards were in that competition--Curtis Aiken and Kenny Smith.

Gives me a flashback to 35 years ago, sitting in the stands at Manley, watching some Empire State Games. In the stands above me was a conversation. I'm not sure who was listening, but an Upstate D-III coach was doing the talking. Subject: recruiting guards. Coach said (paraphrasing): I told Jimmy to take Monroe. He's good and he wants to come here. But Jimmy thinks he can get Pearl.

PS. Couple of other nice guards were in that competition--Curtis Aiken and Kenny Smith.
I also remember sitting in the stands and watching the games. At that time, the best HS players in the state played in the Empire State Games and the Open Division had the best college players from NY. It was fun to watch.

These SG guys are all top notch, but I think Gayle might be the best of the bunch. He would be great with Dior. They complement each other really well.

I prefer him over chance. Not saying he’s better but if dior does hit campus, he’s starting along with a senior JG3. Chance is coming here one year regardless whereas RG would be fine coming off the bench for the first year. Just think the #s and overall impact to the program would benefit more to have a fresh/soph of RG

I prefer him over chance. Not saying he’s better but if dior does hit campus, he’s starting along with a senior JG3. Chance is coming here one year regardless whereas RG would be fine coming off the bench for the first year. Just think the #s and overall impact to the program would benefit more to have a fresh/soph of RG
If Chance is a one and done no matter what, he definitely has to play the 3 here...

If Chance is a one and done no matter what, he definitely has to play the 3 here...
He’s tiny man. He cant play the 3. If we are kind of shaky at Griff at the 3, imagine someone smaller

Don't think Aiken was in that class. The three guards SU was recruiting as I recall were Pearl, Mark Jackson and Kenny Smith.

Don't think Aiken was in that class. The three guards SU was recruiting as I recall were Pearl, Mark Jackson and Kenny Smith.
Aiken was in that class, but I'm not sure we recruited him.

Didn’t Aiken strongly consider transferring to Syracuse at the end of his sophomore year At Pittsburgh? Believe that one of the cons was the Big East had the rule that transfers within the conference would have to sit for two years before playing for the new team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom