Class of 2018 - SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Don't see the Andy Rautins comparison from his videos. Rautins was great coming off a screen, was the best catch and shoot player in the last 20 years at SU, and had a lightning quick release. Buddy looks to be a face-up stationary shooter with textbook form, but currently needs time to get his shot off and seems a bit mechanical at this stage. I'm sure that will improve since I remember Andy as a JR/SR at SU, not a HS player. The fact Buddy is shooting at a high 3-point % vs top EYBL competition tells me he could be a valuable player at SU. A better comparison for me is Jason Cipolla, Marius Janulis or Scott McCorkle. I think we need shooters and feel Buddy would be a great addition at SU.
Check out Andy Rautins as a HS senior, not the finished college product. Andy improved his athleticism, lateral quickness etc.

See Andy Rautins.
What am i seeing lol, im not doubting you can improve on lateral quickness, vertical, etc etc, im saying you can teach someone to be a J Grant or Warrick was my initial intention that you are either athletic or you're not.

What am i seeing lol, im not doubting you can improve on lateral quickness, vertical, etc etc, im saying you can teach someone to be a J Grant or Warrick was my initial intention that you are either athletic or you're not.
Those things, along with balance, hand eye, proprioception are components of athleticism. Nobody is saying someone fundamentally can transform, but you can improve it. Senior Andy Rautins was more athletic than freshman Andy Rautins because he worked on it. It was an issue for him as a freshman, he made it a non issue. Maybe just semantics.

A paragraph on Buddy...

Thanks for that, it was good to read his take. I hope you dont mind, but I'm going to print out the paragraph here in hopes more people will get to see it:

Buddy Boeheim — yes, Jim Boeheim’s son — is an impressive shooter who was maybe the biggest surprise of the weekend for me. Playing for City Rocks in Albany, Boeheim is a 6-5 wing that dropped 23 points against both Bol and Bagley’s teams this weekend. His mechanics off catch-and-shoots are as pure as can be, and he knocked down nearly three 3s per game in EYBL settings at a 47 percent clip. He might be more of a mid-major type athletically, but I daresay he wouldn’t look totally out of place at Syracuse if he wants to play for his dad.

You absolutely can improve your athletic ability. A lot of jumping rope. Other exercises as well. You can't teach someone to be Rembrandt but you can teach someone to paint.
Snatches! Lots of snatches!

Those things, along with balance, hand eye, proprioception are components of athleticism. Nobody is saying someone fundamentally can transform, but you can improve it. Senior Andy Rautins was more athletic than freshman Andy Rautins because he worked on it. It was an issue for him as a freshman, he made it a non issue. Maybe just semantics.

Tip of the hat for use of proprioception. OT/PT background?

In any case, the thing that improved the most for Rautins over his career, to my eye anyway, was his strength and growing into his body. His ability to come off those screens as a senior, in either direction, catch, turn, elevate, find the rim, and stroke it was the best I've seen at SU in 30+ years.

Tip of the hat for use of proprioception. OT/PT background?

In any case, the thing that improved the most for Rautins over his career, to my eye anyway, was his strength and growing into his body. His ability to come off those screens as a senior, in either direction, catch, turn, elevate, find the rim, and stroke it was the best I've seen at SU in 30+ years.
Naaw, a blowhard by training. Can improve that too!

Reactions: 007
How do you work on your athletic ability? You are either athletic or not.
You have to have a minimum to start, but lots of kids become better athletes, (bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, more explosive, better leapers) just through today's training.

My son and I just had a recruiting meeting with the Georgetown soccer coach. He told us that this spring his guys improved their vertical jump as much as 4 inches (2" on average) just from the training they did.

There are certainly individual limits based upon DNA, body type, etc., but you can certainly become a better athlete.

You have to have a minimum to start, but lots of kids become better athletes, (bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, more explosive, better leapers) just through today's training.

My son and I just had a recruiting meeting with the Georgetown soccer coach. He told us that this spring his guys improved their vertical jump as much as 4 inches (2" on average) just from the training they did.

There are certainly individual limits based upon DNA, body type, etc., but you can certainly become a better athlete.
Read my other post i made explaining what I meant more precisely.

Read my other post i made explaining what I meant more precisely.
No doubt that kids can be more “athletic” thru training etc. But of course, the kids who are more athletic also improve by training as well so it is tough to close that gap especially as they get into high school and college. IDK, by my experiences with kids and coaching is that the best athletes in 6th and 7th grade are usually the best athletes in 11th and 12th grade. Of course, always exceptions to the rule.

I

I wanna go fast.

Nice post, Captain.

100% right. I could dunk in high school, but just one hand/one leg or two hands/two legs. I went to college and got on a baseball strength training program for the first time, and by Christmas break I was throwing it off the backboard, doing tomahawks, and dunking with a drop-step. I probably added 8" to my max vert just from doing squats and other leg workouts for 6-12 months. This was in addition to putting on 40 lbs of muscle.

Bigger question is why you were talking the Georgetown soccer coach. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom