Class of 2018 - SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

I've seen buddy play numerous times, since he was about 6-7. Always loved the kid and the certain "toughness" he displayed even as a young kid. He can certainly shoot it and is a great passer with a high basketball IQ. I believe he can play d1, but not sure high d1. My concern with him is height and foot speed. In college he will need to be a 2 or 3. Wouldn't be able to play the stretch 4 due to height. But as a 2/3 he might be a little too slow. But he has another year and I wouldn't put it past him to really focus on that and ball handling. Still would like to see him at SU. At worst he'd be a spot up shooter used in certain situations.

Confirm/remind me: Sounds like Rautins scouting report when he was a HS Sr, no?

Andy was not nearly as prolific a scorer as Buddy is. Doesn't mean he wasn't a better overall player.

Fair comparison. I actually think as a HS player, Buddy better than what Andy was because he is stronger and has a better inside game. But as it translate to college, they are both wing types. For lack of a better word, the difference IMO is that Buddy is a little more "heavy legged" if that makes sense. But if Buddy had the type of college career Andy did, I think everyone would be thrilled (especially if it was at SU).

as a fatherrrrrr... how do you offer your second born but not your first born? My guess is we won't ever offer him.
As a father he is also a basketball coach. Another question is, how do you play on a court named after your dad.

Fair comparison. I actually think as a HS player, Buddy better than what Andy was because he is stronger and has a better inside game. But as it translate to college, they are both wing types. For lack of a better word, the difference IMO is that Buddy is a little more "heavy legged" if that makes sense. But if Buddy had the type of college career Andy did, I think everyone would be thrilled (especially if it was at SU).

Andy had a very good handle and was a way better than average passer with more 2 guard skills. Sounds like Buddy is the better rebounder.

as a fatherrrrrr... how do you offer your second born but not your first born? My guess is we won't ever offer him.

Dude, Jimmy, Jr. was getting looks from Harvard and Dartmouth and went to Cornell. If pro hoops isn't your future then an Ivy League degree carries a helluva lot more weight than one from SU.

Dude, Jimmy, Jr. was getting looks from Harvard and Dartmouth and went to Cornell. If pro hoops isn't your future then an Ivy League degree carries a helluva lot more weight than one from SU.
That's very true. But I'd still be pissed at my dad if he didn't offer me and offered one of my Brothers.

I've seen buddy play numerous times, since he was about 6-7. Always loved the kid and the certain "toughness" he displayed even as a young kid. He can certainly shoot it and is a great passer with a high basketball IQ. I believe he can play d1, but not sure high d1. My concern with him is height and foot speed. In college he will need to be a 2 or 3. Wouldn't be able to play the stretch 4 due to height. But as a 2/3 he might be a little too slow. But he has another year and I wouldn't put it past him to really focus on that and ball handling. Still would like to see him at SU. At worst he'd be a spot up shooter used in certain situations.
Isn't he a little further along than Andy Rautins at the same stage?

Back to recruiting, fingers crossed for 5 more years, though I wouldn't mind if JB softened up a bit. Maybe having his son on the team will make him treat the rest of the team like a father instead of a drill sergeant. It's been tough to watch the last few years. Has to be tough on recruiting when potential recruits see him berate his players.

I'm not sure what you mean? What family wouldn't want to send their teenager to play for a coach who says stuff like "If I had anyone else, he wouldn't play" in his postgame press conferences?

I'm not sure what you mean? What family wouldn't want to send their teenager to play for a coach who says stuff like "If I had anyone else, he wouldn't play" in his postgame press conferences?

Well in fairness to Jimmy, I think what he said was true

Well in fairness to Jimmy, I think what he said was true

Of course it was 100% true. But it's not a good look when recruits and their families can see/hear that.

Pitino on Sunday did even worse. Through most of his kids under the bus. I know that if I were a parent, I wouldn't send my kid to play for a coach who publicly humiliates his players.

Of course it was 100% true. But it's not a good look when recruits and their families can see/hear that.

Pitino on Sunday did even worse. Through most of his kids under the bus. I know that if I were a parent, I wouldn't send my kid to play for a coach who publicly humiliates his players.

I agree with you. I have always disliked this about Jimmy and feel it is often unnecessary. Some kids it might motivate but overall it does not serve a purpose.

Pitino's was bad too. It was him deflecting any blame from himself and basically saying they lost because they had low basketball iq's and didn't do what he said. Pompous and full of it like always.

cuse!

Side note: I'm a grad of Irondequoit HS, that beat J-D. They won their first ever NY State title today. The coach has been at IHS almost as long as JB has been at Cuse.

Back to recruiting, fingers crossed for 5 more years, though I wouldn't mind if JB softened up a bit. Maybe having his son on the team will make him treat the rest of the team like a father instead of a drill sergeant. It's been tough to watch the last few years. Has to be tough on recruiting when potential recruits see him berate his players.

I like how your avatar shows a JD grad! I enjoy the irony!

Isn't he a little further along than Andy Rautins at the same stage?

He's definitely further along physically. Andy was so small and frail at that stage. I think Andy was a little more cerebral though. Better ball skills and probably a better shooter.

If he's got the skill to play for pops it's nice to have a talent without needing a scholarship to use.
Not sure that's how it works. If he gets aid from the school (free tuition) it might count as a scholarship.

Not sure that's how it works. If he gets aid from the school (free tuition) it might count as a scholarship.
That would make sense. Any way to check Bryce Alford at UCLA and see how his works?
Edit: Ok, I found this article. Bryce Alford gave up his scholarship and became a walk-on to accommodate a large recruiting class at UCLA. However, the article does not say who pays his tuition.
Bryce Alford to drop scholarship to accommodate deep recruiting class

Not too difficult to investigate. See Adrian Autry, Jr. Doesn't count.

Not too difficult to investigate. See Adrian Autry, Jr. Doesn't count.
Slightly difference situation there. Buddy looks like an actual scholarship worthy player. AA Jr is a traditional walk-on level player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom