Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

I really doubt Waters is a legit option here. I think he'll opt for Kansas or Duke at the end of the day.

Tucker is a legit option, IMO. Re-tweeting SU stuff and Boeheim memes is a good sign. I thought Indiana would be a threat until Crean was kicked out of town. Hopefully he realizes SU is his best option at this stage in the game. Think he's been holding out for Duke but with the school year winding down he might feel the pressure and choose to come back home to NY.

I'd take Ayala right now, but wouldn't bet on him starting PG or being able to hold his own as a freshman in the ACC. I think he could be a very nice 4-year player.

All just my opinions.

C7scL8_XQAI9fso.jpg

Wright/Tucker/Brissett/Moyer/Thompson/Sidibe/Chukwu is a lot of front court players. I would think getting Tucker would hurt us with Wright for this year. Kids want to play.

Wonder if the staff is playing a game of "1st to commit" with Tucker & Wright? Would seem like the logical plan. I'm sure they'd take both but doubt the 2 would be interested in that.

Wonder if the staff is playing a game of "1st to commit" with Tucker & Wright? Would seem like the logical plan. I'm sure they'd take both but doubt the 2 would be interested in that.

If all those guys were here, who would play?

Tucker is #40 ESPN class of 2017
Wright is #27 ESPN class of 2018

They could both conceivably step over guys already in the system and/or committed (ie. Moyer, Sidibe and Brissett).

They could both conceivably step over guys already in the system and/or committed (ie. Moyer, Sidibe and Brissett).
I believe Wright & Tucker both project as wings (SF) while Moyer & Brissett project as PF's at this point in their careers. Sidibe is a PF who could spell at C ala TT.

Not concerned about that--at all. Other top programs bring in multiple prospects at the same positions all the time. Arizona always has TONS of quality wings.

Bring them in, one of them starts, and then the other starts the next year for Battle. Or maybe the both start at forward a la Fair / Southerland. Never a bad thing to have lots of quality options.

Get the best players you can. Tucker and Wright are both talented offensive players -- I want them both.

I think we could add all three of Wright, Tucker and Ayala. Wright could play over Moyer, and Chukwu.

Could envision a line up in a meaningful, close games with JB's style of:
Howard (20)
Battle (40)
Tucker (25)
Thompson (40)
Chukwu (20)

Ayala (20)
Wright (20)
Moyer (15)
Brissett (0)
Sidbe (0)
Washington (0)

Not concerned about that--at all. Other top programs bring in multiple prospects at the same positions all the time. Arizona always has TONS of quality wings.

Bring them in, one of them starts, and then the other starts the next year for Battle. Or maybe the both start at forward a la Fair / Southerland. Never a bad thing to have lots of quality options.

Get the best players you can. Tucker and Wright are both talented offensive players -- I want them both.
Agreed - Even if undersized, I'd let them fight it out for both starting wing spots. One wins the 3 and if the other beats out Moyer/Brissett for the 4, so be it.

IF JB didn't have the rep for having such a short rotation I don't think it would be an issue. Hard to compare us to Zona as Miller plays 9 guys. I suppose Tucker could eventually play the 2 once Battle is gone and he improves his handle.

Duarte's grades, from what I've heard, are not good. Don't expect that to go anywhere. Prep school (if eligible) or even JUCO.

Heard the same, not good is an understatement.

IF JB didn't have the rep for having such a short rotation I don't think it would be an issue. Hard to compare us to Zona as Miller plays 9 guys. I suppose Tucker could eventually play the 2 once Battle is gone and he improves his handle.

I didn't compare us to Arizona -- I said that programs like them don't worry about bringing in multiple quality prospects at the same position, and letting the players duke it out for PT. I think we do ourselves a roster disservice by only limiting ourselves to 1 player at a position, or by worrying about bringing in other guys because guys we already have on the roster might not have a path to the starting lineup if we do. We should be trying to recruit over the players we already have every year.

I'd love to land both Tucker and Wright, and if those guys prove to be "better" than Moyer [just as an example--not saying that this will happen, or that I expect it to], so be it.

I didn't compare us to Arizona -- I said that programs like them don't worry about bringing in multiple quality prospects at the same position, and letting the players duke it out for PT. I think we do ourselves a roster disservice by only limiting ourselves to 1 player at a position, or by worrying about bringing in other guys because guys we already have on the roster might not have a path to the starting lineup if we do. We should be trying to recruit over the players we already have every year.
We want a stable of athletes at all positions. And then let them compete for playing time. It all works out and benefits the program the most. Without competition, improvement is dependent upon an self motivation. But when your teammate is busting his tail, working out with weights or shooting 500 shots every day, you know you have to step up your game or you will be left behind.

I think we could add all three of Wright, Tucker and Ayala. Wright could play over Moyer, and Chukwu.

Could envision a line up in a meaningful, close games with JB's style of:
Howard (20)
Battle (40)
Tucker (25)
Thompson (40)
Chukwu (20)

Ayala (20)
Wright (20)
Moyer (15)
Brissett (0)
Sidbe (0)
Washington (0)

Chukwu hasn't played competitive basketball in two years. With his limited offensive skills (on a team that will be looking for offense), I don't see him playing more than 10 minutes a game.

I agree with you, I see Battle as a 10+ year NBA starter.

That is why I am hopeful for next season, if we can bring in a solid PG.

There's about 4 of those guysin a draft so might wanna slow down.

We want a stable of athletes at all positions. And then let them compete for playing time. It all works out and benefits the program the most. Without competition, improvement is dependent upon an self motivation. But when your teammate is busting his tail, working out with weights or shooting 500 shots every day, you know you have to step up your game or you will be left behind.

Exactly. Especially with the amount of players that we have had leave early. I do not think it would surprise anyone to see us lose Thompson, Tucker (hopefully) and definitely Battle to the NBA next year. It would be nice to continue to build depth with true freshman like Wright, Brissett, Washington, Ayala and Sidbe for 2018.

In 2018 we get back another scholarship and I would bet we have 3 open slots. PG, SG/SF combo and then BPA

I'd love to land both Tucker and Wright, and if those guys prove to be "better" than Moyer [just as an example--not saying that this will happen, or that I expect it to], so be it.

I think you're misinterpreting the context. The question wasn't would we want both guys; I think it was more would they both be interested if they were both signing up to come knowing we already had some guys in the class.

My original answer was intended to convey that I think both Jordan and Wright appear to be ranked higher than anyone we have in the fold at forward today, so they could conceivably both come in and win playing time. The guys that are already here may not be happy about that, but you definitely take the best guys that you can get and let them determine based on their play who should get the minutes.

Chukwu hasn't played competitive basketball in two years. With his limited offensive skills (on a team that will be looking for offense), I don't see him playing more than 10 minutes a game.

I think they will need his defense. Thompson and him will split minutes. Maybe Sidbe will be more ready than I expect, but don't expect Thompson to play 40 minutes at center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom