Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 178 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

I hope he does a lot of shoulder workouts this offseason, the weight of the world will be on them this year.
He should average over 20PPG with the amount of shots I will want him to take next year.

As of now:

Howard / ??? / Washington
Battle / ???
??? / Brissett
Thompson / Moyer
Chukwu / Sidibe

Im guessing this is where we're at, as of today?

Howard
Thorpe [finger's crossed]
Battle
Brissett
Thompson

Thorpe
Battle
Brissett
Thompson
Chukwu

Thorpe
Battle
Brissett
Moyer
Thompson

Going to be difficult to manufacture points.

jeez close this thing and then people discus Thorpe in the Thorpe thread etc - no point keeping this open, relevant posts on those other players getting lost in here

People have the right to vent and be upset, as long as no one is breaking rules. keep it open for a couple of days.

Not sure how anyone can already say we won't be good next year. But then again, we all thought we'd be a protected seed in the NCAAs last year around August.

This team most likely has 2 NBA 1st round picks - 1 of which will probably be a lotto pick and a strong candidate for 1st team All-ACC. That's a good building block.

We're young but we have kids with potential. remember how Lydon kind of came out of nowhere his freshman year? Who says Brissett won't do that? Or Sidibe?

JB said Howard will have a Scoop-like turnaround, and I'll give JB the benefit of the doubt in that one.

And, we're not done - we will add 2 more pieces.

Can we wait until at least the first practice until we decide this team stinks?

You're taking the most optimistic point of view. You may be right, but right now Battle is projected as a back end first rounder and TT isn't on anybody's radar because he plays one end of the court. I hope your scenario plays out, but if we are good this year it will have to come from defense and TT has shown he can't play any to date.

I think Battle compares to a Dwayne Bacon who has zero shot of going in this years first round. I'm not saying your scenario won't play out, but it's the most optimistic point of view.

We need Moyer or Brissett to be top level players. 2 guys can't carry a team in this league with the way everyone else is recruiting.

Howard
Thorpe [finger's crossed]
Battle
Brissett
Thompson

Thorpe
Battle
Brissett
Thompson
Chukwu

Thorpe
Battle
Brissett
Moyer
Thompson

Going to be difficult to manufacture points.
I like that first lineup. They will score points but then we have zero backcourt depth and will struggle to rebound.

You're taking the most optimistic point of view. You may be right, but right now Battle is projected as a back end first rounder and TT isn't on anybody's radar because he plays one end of the court. I hope your scenario plays out, but if we are good this year it will have to come from defense and TT has shown he can't play any to date.

I think Battle compares to a Dwayne Bacon who has zero shot of going in this years first round. I'm not saying your scenario won't play out, but it's the most optimistic point of view.

We need Moyer or Brissett to be top level players. 2 guys can't carry a team in this league with the way everyone else is recruiting.

I think Brissets that guy.

Battle is going to be a much better player than Bacon.

I like that first lineup. They will score points but then we have zero backcourt depth and will struggle to rebound.

It all depends on whether Howard straightens out and also elevates his level of play, or doesn't IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised, but it is certainly no guarantee. Which is why relying upon him is a frightening proposition.

Hope we can fill these last two open spots with quality.

If we had a PG I wouldn't be as worried.
We still don't have PG and are putting way too much on Battle.

Frank Howard being a needed piece just kills my optimism for next year.

Coming off last season I don't see how anyone could be optimistic about Howard, if he has a 180 and becomes a useful player I will eat crow.

You know, I really started to believe that this one was going to break our way.

Me too. This year aside, we are generally not accustomed to missing out on our top targets. When we were signing top 5-10 classes year after year, we identified and locked guys up early, so I hope we can get back to doing that moving forward

very telling what? We lost out to Duke and Kentucky and Arizona. 3 great recruiting schools. And the Arizona is because of a guy on our team. Not the coaches. If Knox goes to Duke, tucker is at Syracuse. how is that telling? If Kentucky would have got the pt they wanted, Green is at Syracuse. Sorry to disillusion you but we have never been what Kentucky and duke are right now in recruiting. Some would like to think that we were. But we haven't been.

While I agree we aren't those big recruiting schools and most likely never will be it does seem like we try to be, we did offer Green, Gilgeous-Alexander, Richards who picked UK and then Tucker (which obviously we didn't have much control with) and O'Connell with Duke, Preston who picked Kansas and then Randolph who picked Arizona, Walker to Miami still stings but maybe the staff evaluated him differently then his rating? Are we going to shy away from going head to head with those big schools? Looking at the 18 offers I don't see much of UK or Puke besides the obvious few but I realize they can offer and the next day the kid will have them at the top of their list.

I obviously have no clue on the interest level we had on those kids but regardless a lot of the guys seem to be on our recruiting turf and as we are waiting on them as our top targets while we seem to get burned with our backup options committing to other schools. As a whole the 2018 recruiting class seems to be extremely deep so we really should have a great class lined up next year and it doesn't seem like the blue bloods are going after many of our targets but I completely understand the concept that they can offer pretty late in the process and be very selective.

While I agree we aren't those big recruiting schools and most likely never will be it does seem like we try to be, we did offer Green, Gilgeous-Alexander, Richards who picked UK and then Tucker (which obviously we didn't have much control with) and O'Connell with Duke, Preston who picked Kansas and then Randolph who picked Arizona, Walker to Miami still stings but maybe the staff evaluated him differently then his rating? Are we going to shy away from going head to head with those big schools? Looking at the 18 offers I don't see much of UK or Puke besides the obvious few but I realize they can offer and the next day the kid will have them at the top of their list.

I obviously have no clue on the interest level we had on those kids but regardless a lot of the guys seem to be on our recruiting turf and as we are waiting on them as our top targets while we seem to get burned with our backup options committing to other schools. As a whole the 2018 recruiting class seems to be extremely deep so we really should have a great class lined up next year and it doesn't seem like the blue bloods are going after many of our targets but I completely understand the concept that they can offer pretty late in the process and be very selective.
We recruit good players. If we think we can land a top level kid, we will go hard after him. But we seem to shy away from any kid that doesn't make his interest in us known to us. I can't explain it any more than that.

If we had a PG I wouldn't be as worried.
We still don't have PG and are putting way too much on Battle.

Frank Howard being a needed piece just kills my optimism for next year.
As good as Battle is, without another consistent scorer -- like White was last year -- defenses will be able to key on Battle and he will have a tough go.

You gotta be creepy to like Duke "juice". But good luck young man. It's all good!

We recruit good players. If we think we can land a top level kid, we will go hard after him. But we seem to shy away from any kid that doesn't make his interest in us known to us. I can't explain it any more than that.

Ok, thanks for the response, I completely understand we are going to go after good players but don't you think we should be keeping more backup options open? I just think with recruiting these days there are so many shady things going on and when Cuse isn't going to do those things then that puts us at a disadvantage, I just feel the staff is already taking a different approach in 2018 and I really appreciate that because it shows they're willing to change when they see things aren't working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom