Class of 2017 - SG Thomas Allen (NC/NH) Transfer from Nebraska to NC State | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Thomas Allen (NC/NH) Transfer from Nebraska to NC State

He had a big game in the NEPSAC championship. If we somehow end up with him and Waters to fill our backcourt then all of a sudden between those two, Brissett, Moyer and Sidibe that's a great foundation class of really good program players for Hop to start his tenure with.

Why would he sign with nc state in the first place? Gotta wonder why

Francis is there any chance JB would relax the 100% zone philosophy to increase the appeal to guys like Allen and Waters? Desperate times, desperate measures - but in all seriousness it's not a crazy idea especially if he wants to facilitate the transition to hop. Sort of like rebranding the hotel Syracuse to Marriott - they wanted to distance themselves from the antiquated history and herald a new modern look.

Francis is there any chance JB would relax the 100% zone philosophy to increase the appeal to guys like Allen and Waters?
YZJNs6.gif

According to Jerry's Crystal Meth ball he visited Ohio State after he had already committed to NC State. VPI was also one of his finalists. St Louis was one of his finalists as well. That's a weird mix of schools.

Francis is there any chance JB would relax the 100% zone philosophy to increase the appeal to guys like Allen and Waters? Desperate times, desperate measures - but in all seriousness it's not a crazy idea especially if he wants to facilitate the transition to hop. Sort of like rebranding the hotel Syracuse to Marriott - they wanted to distance themselves from the antiquated history and herald a new modern look.
giphy.gif

Pitino played a lot of zone with Russ Smith and Siva. They are the same size, if not smaller than Allen and Waters. Never got why it was a height requirement for zone. If your guards are pests it shouldn't matter the defense.

Pitino played a lot of zone with Russ Smith and Siva. They are the same size, if not smaller than Allen and Waters. Never got why it was a height requirement for zone. If your guards are pests it shouldn't matter the defense.

Yeah but he also had them pressing like rabid dogs. A little different than how JB uses guys. Height and length at the top of JB's zone is clearly an important factor in it being its best.

Nah.

Oh I wish we could land this kid! I think he sticks with adidas school though

Wishful thinking or you're hearing whispers?

Presuming our zone days are coming to an end ( in a year), Kansas has made a living off guards that are in the 6'0 range that are multi dimensional offensively and develop over a couple years ( Mason, Graham, Sheron Collins, Jacque Vaughn, etc). Thomas Allen looks to have good ball skills, obviously is a high level shooter and not an out of this world athlete. Wouldnlikely have a similar college path if being a four year player and would be suprised if he didn't contribute immediately due to his shooting. As an aside, Kansas also tends to surround these smaller guards with one and done wings who can fill it up, that probably helps;-)

Any word on whom we are prioritizing?

Still would love to get Chris Duarte if the transcripts pass the smell test ( most upside of any of these recruits including Tremont Waters)

Oh I wish we could land this kid! I think he sticks with adidas school though

I don't disagree with this line of thinking. Considering he played in the Gauntlet and Nations it will be tough to get involved as a Nike school. He does play for Brewster though, which is an Under Armour school. I don't personally think we'll be involved.

I don't disagree with this line of thinking. Considering he played in the Gauntlet and Nations it will be tough to get involved as a Nike school. He does play for Brewster though, which is an Under Armour school. I don't personally think we'll be involved.

Do you know if there are any underclassmen or 2018 guys from the Canada pipeline that we might have a good chance with?

Do you know if there are any underclassmen or 2018 guys from the Canada pipeline that we might have a good chance with?

Obviously the biggest prize would be Simi Shittu and I absolutely think we are in the mix. From what I know coach Hop has taken a very active role with this and recently went to see him play. No new information to report. His recruitment is likely not ending early. He would be a TREMENDOUS fit for our zone.

I know we were also interested in Jaelin Llewellynn last year, but he's since left Athlete Institute and CIA Bounce for Virginia Episcopal and Team Loaded and I'm not sure where we stand in his recruitment at this point. I know Stanford offered recently. Maybe Francis can weigh in here.

Sam Rautins will be playing for CIA Bounce in the EYBL. I'm not sure he's good enough but I would have said that about Andy as well. Def worth monitoring since he absolutely grew up Orange and landing him wouldn't be very difficult if we elected to offer.

A few guys we aren't yet involved with...

My favorite 2018 prospect outside of Simi is Jonathon Kabongo. Yep, Myck's little brother. Don't think we are involved but wish we were. He plays for Huntington Prep and we haven't had a relationship with their staff up to this point so... He's recently visited Ohio State and Louisville. Most people have him severely underrated.

In terms of 2019... Everyone knows Rowan Barrett and we aren't getting him. But the other guy who's going to b special one day is 5-star Andrew Nembhard. He also plays for Montverde and I wonder if they end up being a package deal? Haven't heard that but wouldn't be surprised. He is running for UPLAY Canada's U16 EYBL squad which could end up being best team on circuit. Lots of guys to monitor on this team.

Thomas Allen has requested his release from his NLI. Let's go get him.

Unreal how fortunate we've been to have so many quality guards shake loose this spring. Let's hope we can take advantage.
It's only fortunate for us if we actually pursue these kids.

I have a feeling we're going to go all in on Ayala and hope that works than actually pursuing some of these kids...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom