Class of 2018 - SG Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown / VT) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown / VT)

if you saw them in high school you would never have dreamed tyler would have gotten his far. they didnt even win the states in class C that year.

Yup. I played in class D(laugh all you want), we went to states, we had one guy go to Mercer on my high school team. Our girls team also beat 2 double AA schools when I was younger and in all honesty if someone is good enough at a public high school now they usually transfer to prep schools.

Who went to Mercer? I've probably heard of him.

Where does he play AAU ball? That will ultimately show what he is capable of at the next level.
City Rocks with lots of board favorites. Big year for a bunch of guys on this roster.

16u EYBL
He started last spring with the city rocks 16u but was playing behind Mika Adams Woods and Joe Girard, so he switched over to the NY Jayhawks on the Adidas circuit and had good success there.

Marius Janulis came from a small school just like Charles Gillete and Adonis Foyle from the Hamilton area.

Marius Janulis came from a small school just like Charles Gillete and Adonis Foyle from the Hamilton area.
There will always be outliers, but the fact is, the competition isn't as good, so typically the players won't develop as well. And, if they are good enough, the best players from the small school transfer to larger schools for better competition. I sent to a class D school that is historically very good (3 state championships) in basketball, and I don't think we had any D1 players.

Great competition in the above video (Sarcasm). This is not taking anything away from the kid, he looks like a solid Colgate or Lemoyne type player. ACC basketball is just a different level of athlete and player.

In my opinion, Joe Cremo from Scotia (Class A) was a better overall player than Bertram and he went to Albany---No disrespect to Albany (D1 Basketball) but in comparison to ACC basketball it isn't even a conversation.

The school does not reflect whether a kid can play or not. I have seen great players from all size schools throughout the years. Remember, there was once a guy named Larry Bird - his school wasn't too big
Cremo is already one of Albany's better players and I think he could have played higher. Bertram I am not sure of.

if you saw them in high school you would never have dreamed tyler would have gotten his far. they didnt even win the states in class C that year.
Yeah they lost to Lake George in the Class C final. Lake George had a kid Joel Wincowski (6'3" guard) who score like 2500+ pts in his career and broke Jimmer Fridette's Section 2 scoring records. Wincowski is now a sophomore at UMBC and at last check is averaging 1 ppg. Here's a kid who dominated Class C and apparently can't contribute at low D1.

that same lake george team lost twice to the D team that won the states that year.

the Wincowski wasnt really a legal kid, he was a NJ kid whose parents bought a house in lake george to give him an address and while he went to school there he really lived in NJ. he couldnt get on the court at his NJ school.

he was solid for Class C but undersized, had real nice range though. most C schools have a hard time handling a guard that big.

Lydons team was the 3rd best team in the State that year.

that same lake george team lost twice to the D team that won the states that year.

the Wincowski wasnt really a legal kid, he was a NJ kid whose parents bought a house in lake george to give him an address and while he went to school there he really lived in NJ. he couldnt get on the court at his NJ school.

he was solid for Class C but undersized, had real nice range though. most C schools have a hard time handling a guard that big.

Lydons team was the 3rd best team in the State that year.
I don't post much, but I do have to respond to this. To say, "Wincowski wasn't really a legal kid" is just silly. He may have come from New Jersey, but he lived in Lake George year-round with his parents for three years (and played AAU ball - with the Albany City Rocks for part of the time - in the off-season in each of those years.) And prior to that, he lived in Hartford (NY) for two years, beginning in 8th grade. So he did NOT "really live in NJ." Not sure where that info. came from? While he might not have been able to "get on the court at his NJ school," he most assuredly did not simply have a mailing address in upstate New York for the five years that he lived in this region. And by the way, he also led LG to a Class C state title as a senior after doing it as a sophomore. Granted, things did not work out at UMBC, but he did have other offers from D-I schools, so I'm not sure he was that bad simply because he "only" played for a Class C team.

I don't post much, but I do have to respond to this. To say, "Wincowski wasn't really a legal kid" is just silly. He may have come from New Jersey, but he lived in Lake George year-round with his parents for three years (and played AAU ball - with the Albany City Rocks for part of the time - in the off-season in each of those years.) And prior to that, he lived in Hartford (NY) for two years, beginning in 8th grade. So he did NOT "really live in NJ." Not sure where that info. came from? While he might not have been able to "get on the court at his NJ school," he most assuredly did not simply have a mailing address in upstate New York for the five years that he lived in this region. And by the way, he also led LG to a Class C state title as a senior after doing it as a sophomore. Granted, things did not work out at UMBC, but he did have other offers from D-I schools, so I'm not sure he was that bad simply because he "only" played for a Class C team.

my info came from the kids in the school who knew the kid and parent and coaches from multiple schools who were upset.

from the people i talked with his parents did not live there full time.

He was a nice talent, he was by far the best player on that team that really had no business winning that first title.. never saw the 2nd set of games.

I never went looking for the kid around town so i dont know how much was made up. There was a lot of discussion amongst people in the arena that weekend and state officials who were being asked to look into it.

I was also told somethings by other people during the AAU season that spring summer so if it was all rumor it sure was being spread around by a whole bunch of people

Last edited:
my info came from the kids in the school who knew the kid and parents who were upset.

He was a nice talent, he was by far the best player on that team that really had no business winning that first title.. never saw the 2nd set of games.
I never heard that story, but maybe that was because I'm a teacher and a coach at the school, so they wouldn't express this directly to me. I can tell you categorically it just isn't true. I also will say that the players on that team absolutely loved Joel as a teammate - he made them all better! And as for the parents who were upset, I guess I have to ask why? Hard to believe that Lake George parents would be upset that he won us a title? Or perhaps the parents weren't from LG?

I never heard that story, but maybe that was because I'm a teacher and a coach at the school, so they wouldn't express this directly to me. I can tell you categorically it just isn't true. I also will say that the players on that team absolutely loved Joel as a teammate - he made them all better! And as for the parents who were upset, I guess I have to ask why? Hard to believe that Lake George parents would be upset that he won us a title? Or perhaps the parents weren't from LG?

It wasnt lake george kids who were upset you are right. It could all have been made up,, but I was told about it long before the team blew up. Before they even played a game.

from Real estate people and referees other strange places

I didnt even go around looking for information people came to me and told me stuff during the AAU season.

It wasnt lake george kids who were upset you are right. It could all have been made up,, but I was told about it long before the team blew up. Before they even played a game.

from Real estate people and referees other strange places

I didnt even go around looking for information people came to me and told me stuff during the AAU season.
I wonder if they were still saying that three years and two championships later?

Highlights from 40 point game a few weeks ago. Got Rautins range on some of his 3's.

Highlights from 40 point game a few weeks ago. Got Rautins range on some of his 3's.
Spoke with a parent from Indian River (the opponent in this video). He said Bertram was a good shooter, but didn't have many other skills that would translate to high level basketball. Also would need to put on considerable weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom