Shades of 92 Miami... | Syracusefan.com

Shades of 92 Miami...

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
Coming off a big win vs 17th ranked BC, Syracuse had Miami following week.

I had a vision of us driving on Clemson and Gadsen catching it on the 3rd and driving into the endzone to make up for the Miami loss.

Win it for Gedney. It's our time.

It’s a shame they took down the unedited version of that game.

My favorite part of this game is the 8:08 mark when they show a replay of Conley's interception, and he's like a runaway freight train going towards the sidelines and everyone is backing up like "oh ----!"

**** around and find out getting in his way

Senior year... ugh. So close!
They got into the redzone twice in the final 6 minutes and couldn't punch it in. I think it took them awhile to believe they could hang with them and then take it right to them.

My favorite part of this game is the 8:08 mark when they show a replay of Conley's interception, and he's like a runaway freight train going towards the sidelines and everyone is backing up like "oh ----!"

There's a lot of great things. Brent going with the black leather jacket. Brent and Dick so close in that opening that you can almost feel the discomfort. Conley cutting off his shirt to the point that it almost erased part of his number.

Unless you were there, you'll never understand the nervous energy in the Dome that day. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it. Very few left right after the ending, just all stood there, mentally exhausted and thinking about what could have been.

There's a lot of great things. Brent going with the black leather jacket. Brent and Dick so close in that opening that you can almost feel the discomfort. Conley cutting off his shirt to the point that it almost erased part of his number.

Unless you were there, you'll never understand the nervous energy in the Dome that day. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it. Very few left right after the ending, just all stood there, mentally exhausted and thinking about what could have been.
I have seen my share of bad losses that left me feeling dejected/broken hearted.

I think this was the worst loss for me ever. With the possible exception of the SU-IU NC game in hoops.

I have seen my share of bad losses that left me feeling dejected/broken hearted.

I think this was the worst loss for me ever. With the possible exception of the SU-IU NC game in hoops.
yeah, the SU-IU game was by far the worst, but I agree, this one was right up there. I was living in Seattle at the time, I just remember lying face down on my floor for like 5 minutes after Gedney was stopped. That 1992 team was so good, I think they could have given the '87 team a run for their money

I feel like this weekend we will take Clemson's punches and be in a game into the 4th quarter. Similar to this 92 game, do we have what it takes to get over the hump. Few observations for me:

1. Graves was hurting on that last drive and stuck in there. Total warrior.
2. Syracuse had ALOT of talent on both sides of the ball. That to me is their best modern team for sure. The benchmark IMO. 87 was special, 92 was talented.
3. To have Brent at the Dome is something. How many times did we get Keith Jackson to the dome. Did he do the 94 Miami game?
4. Had they won this game, what changes bowl game wise? Did they already accept an invitation to the Fiesta? The game was house money no matter what I think

They got into the redzone twice in the final 6 minutes and couldn't punch it in. I think it took them awhile to believe they could hang with them and then take it right to them.
Yeah. Came out in the second half and started running right up the gut. Had we realized we could've punched them in the mouth a little earlier we win it. Was Gino Torretta the most overrated Heisman winner ever?

Yeah. Came out in the second half and started running right up the gut. Had we realized we could've punched them in the mouth a little earlier we win it. Was Gino Torretta the most overrated Heisman winner ever?
Granted teams threw the ball way less back then, but yeah 19 TDs and 7 INTs is good but pretty underwhelming for Heisman purposes.

Marshall Faulk was the best player in the country that year.

I feel like this weekend we will take Clemson's punches and be in a game into the 4th quarter. Similar to this 92 game, do we have what it takes to get over the hump. Few observations for me:

2. Syracuse had ALOT of talent on both sides of the ball. That to me is their best modern team for sure. The benchmark IMO. 87 was special, 92 was talented.
3. To have Brent at the Dome is something. How many times did we get Keith Jackson to the dome. Did he do the 94 Miami game?
4. Had they won this game, what changes bowl game wise? Did they already accept an invitation to the Fiesta? The game was house money no matter what I think
Watched part of this game last week in advance of NC State. These observations are spot on. In fact, there is a Sports Illustrated article out there somewhere written after Alabama won the Sugar Bowl where they credited Syracuse's 2nd half game plan- and that they heavily built their own based on our success running the ball.

Not a particular incendiary statement but the clock management on the last drive was pretty poor- took wayyyy too long, a sentiment you can actually hear in the crowd as the play clock ticks down- and ultimately was fatal. Tough call- I am sure the goal was to leave Miami absolutely no time on the clock, and awareness of clock management has come a long way since 1992.

That was the most heartbroken I've ever been after an SU football game. Things matter more when you are 13, but wow was that a bitter pill to swallow. The Fiesta Bowl win eased some of that but all these years later I still remember two things vividly: how loud it was after Conley picked off that pass at the goal line, and how quiet it was after Gedney (RIP) was tackled at the three.

Had they won this game, what changes bowl game wise?
That's an interesting hypothetical. Here are the rankings before and after that game. Hard to say if we would have jumped FSU and A&M.

(Also, what a weird season for Michigan. 8-0-3)

1666123214796.png

4. Chance they could have been invited to Sugar Bowl to play Bama and possibly claim to NC. Other major bowl was FSU v Nebraska in Orange, I think ND played A&M in the Cotton.

Granted teams threw the ball way less back then, but yeah 19 TDs and 7 INTs is good but pretty underwhelming for Heisman purposes.

Marshall Faulk was the best player in the country that year.
I'm not sure 19 and 7 was even that great for that era and he benefited for WR making him look good. Yeah Faulk should've won that year. It was definitely a team award that year.

Tony Rice 1987

Coming off a big win vs 17th ranked BC, Syracuse had Miami following week.

I had a vision of us driving on Clemson and Gadsen catching it on the 3rd and driving into the endzone to make up for the Miami loss.

Win it for Gedney. It's our time.

eyo...

And some here complain about Dino's clock mgmt???

ND went 2-8 that year and PH was their QB. Yep, that definitely is worse than Tim Brown. Yet another reason to hate ND.
I was mostly saying overrated player. Paul Hornung was at least a HOF guy, he just didn't deserve to win. Torretta was just an above average guy on a great team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom