Shafer may have interviewed for WMU... | Syracusefan.com

Shafer may have interviewed for WMU...

'Off the radar'. 'Wants to remain at SU as DC'.

Euphemisms for 'He didn't get the job'.

'Off the radar'. 'Wants to remain at SU as DC'.

Euphemisms for 'He didn't get the job'.

Could be, but they've had a vacancy for a month. I'm not sure they're really turning people away at this point.

I like Shafer, but has our defense been that great for him to deserve a head coaching job?

I like Shafer, but has our defense been that great for him to deserve a head coaching job?

I can appreciate what you are saying, but the situation when DM took over was literally awful. Most folks don't really understand how bad. They have done a lot with what they had. The in-game stuff is a different story, but that is less about SS and there was improvement this year. But back on point, Shafer is really good and did a lot with what he had.

This program was a freaking mess.

44cuse

Pay the man

60837-teddy.jpg

Was Doug going somewhere?

No, just further affirms my opinion that he wasn't going anyplace and the Wisky talk is just that, talk.

No, just further affirms my opinion that he wasn't going anyplace and the Wisky talk is just that, talk.

Ah...gotcha. I always assumed the Wisky talk was someone's idea of a joke. Maybe not?

I can appreciate what you are saying, but the situation when DM took over was literally awful. Most folks don't really understand how bad. They have done a lot with what they had. The in-game stuff is a different story, but that is less about
SS and there was improvement this year. But back on point, Shafer is really good and did a lot with what he had.

44cuse

No it wasn't, don't you know that Robinson recruited better than Marrone has?

I can appreciate what you are saying, but the situation when DM took over was literally awful. Most folks don't really understand how bad. They have done a lot with what they had. The in-game stuff is a different story, but that is less about SS and there was improvement this year. But back on point, Shafer is really good and did a lot with what he had.

44cuse

I completely agree with you about the program. It was awful. However, he did have both Hogue, Smith and Jones. They had some decent defensive talent.

I never meant to say that he had done a bad job or anything, I just feel like his defenses haven't been so elite that he deserves a head coaching job. Weirder things have happened though.

I think it.s been pretty great in games where havent been physically outmatched. He.s done a good job of playing to strengths and hiding weaknesses in all other games.

If we can get a capable juco mlb and mpb, desir, and esky show up with 10lbs more muscle next year, we should have our most complete defense since he's been here.

The funny thing is his best defense at SU came with G-Rob's guys.

Yeah. But they also played with way more reckless abandon back then. I don't think the defense blitzed nearly as much with as many people as it did during the 2010 season.

44cuse

Seconded.

I completely agree with you about the program. It was awful. However, he did have both Hogue, Smith and Jones. They had some decent defensive talent.

I never meant to say that he had done a bad job or anything, I just feel like his defenses haven't been so elite that he deserves a head coaching job. Weirder things have happened though.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to read like I was vehemently disagreeing with you. Apologies if it came across as such. More just that this program was in shambles when Marrone got here. And I'll add to that: many on the Staff had no real idea what they had actually gotten themselves into until deep in season 1.

That said, Shafer is _very_ well respected in the coaching world and particularly so in the MW where he has multiple connections (at all levels). Nick Saban isn't coming to SU, and a part of one of the things that I think is cool is that Shafer's family likes Syracuse (the area) so much that they want to stay here. That's pretty cool. But...he's going back to the MW and will no doubt be an HC path (although I do tend agree with you...it won't be his first gig back here).

If these rumors are true, my guess is he did it with the full blessing of the Staff as a means to go out and "practice" or get more exposure. Happens all the time in CFB actually.

But, sry if my response came off the wrong way.

44cuse

No it wasn't, don't you know that Robinson recruited better than Marrone has?

Depth yes. But it is still TBD if he has recruited kids that will be the "stars" that lead the team like Smith, Hogue, Jones, Nassib, Lemon, Pugh and Sales.

Let's hope so.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Good. If that is true, IMO it also means Marrone isn't going anywhere. I don't think Shafer is HC material anyways.
why not?