Shafer mutiny vs. Marrone? | Syracusefan.com

Shafer mutiny vs. Marrone?

SUinNYC

2nd String
Anyone see the Avant article in today's PS? Interesting quote from incoming WR Avant...
"The reason I like Coach Shafer is cause he's straight up and he told me straight up he started recruiting me because the head coach there wasn't looking for receivers," Avant said, "which he thought was bad because the guys already there … he just felt like he needed more depth, but it wasn't his call."

Hmmm. I find it curious that Shafer was openly disagreeing with his boss and discussing it with recruits. In my world, that's how you get fired.

Anyone see the Avant article in today's PS? Interesting quote from incoming WR Avant...

Hmmm. I find it curious that Shafer was openly disagreeing with his boss and discussing it with recruits. In my world, that's how you get fired.
Same thing happened with Chauncy Scissum. I think it's just Shafer being honest when the players ask him what changed.

You don't get fired on the word of a young excited kid who could well have misunderstood the word Scot was actually saying. I like Shafer and his approach. Nuff said.:confused:

I read this as HCSS said something along these lines to Avant AFTER Doug was hired by the Bills. In that case Marrone is no longer anybody's boss at SU.

Being a Coordinator doesn't mean you have to agree with everything the Head Coach says.

HCSS disagreed with some of FHCDM's ideas. It probably happens on every coaching staff at every level.

Not his boss anymore. We don't discuss people no longer associated with our program.
Ha! True, but the article talks about how Shafer was recruiting him while he was still DC.

What I find more curious is that Shafer thinks the WR's currently on the roster suck.

Probably the right word was they need improvement or could be better.

Did Shafer say they suck, or is that just the implied message? I have no problem if he did give them a little bit of no bullshit straight talk... Maybe light a fire under them going into the summer.

Ha! True, but the article talks about how Shafer was recruiting him while he was still DC.

Avant was offered in May 2012 while Marrone was still HC. It could be that that staff stop recruiting any WRs. If you look at the three WR coming in the 2013 class, Winfield and Cooper were recruited by the new staff and Avants' recruitment was reopened after he decommitted from FIU.

Or maybe it had to do with Kyle Foster's career ending injury, the fact that Ben Lewis is hurt, and Keenan Hale is hurt as well.

That's three WR's right there. Some of you need to put the gd tea leaves away.

Did Shafer say they suck, or is that just the implied message? I have no problem if he did give them a little bit of no bullshit straight talk... Maybe light a fire under them going into the summer.

I think that is what nirvana inferred.

I would think he mentioned that part to him after the change.

I'm ok with HCSS speaking his mind after dougie left but if its during it kind of doesn't sit well to me. I believe that everybody on your staff needs to be on the same page when recruiting in order to convey the same message.

Alternate interpretation (with caveat that I know nothing about Avant or his recruitment):

Avant: "I'm a wide receiver and you're a defensive coordinator. Why are you recruiting me?"

DCATT/FHNHCSS: "Technically, I'm recruiting you as a DB, but I think we need more depth at WR and you would have a good shot there..."

What Avant heard: "HC says we have enough receivers. That's his call, but I think we need more depth and you'll change his mind once you get here..."

What I find more curious is that Shafer thinks the WR's currently on the roster suck.

Well, look at it this way.

Funderburk was touted to be a game-ready transfer and key starting receiver and he isn't even on the depth chart let alone a starter after this spring...

So yeah, besides West, it sounds like we have a bigger drop-off with the loss of Lemon and Sales than we had hoped.

Or maybe it had to do with Kyle Foster's career ending injury, the fact that Ben Lewis is hurt, and Keenan Hale is hurt as well.

That's three WR's right there. Some of you need to put the gd tea leaves away.

This ^^ And as for Shafer's comments on WRs, two things:

1) It is important to remember the info is third-hand and without much context.

2) There aren't many coaches running around recruiting WRs by saying, "we've got a ton of depth at WR and you'll be lucky to see the field at all. But hey, we could use some special teams help and who know, maybe a couple guys get injured!!"

dougie by no means recruited quality WR's. What SU has now at WR is playable, but not top flight. dougie like the lumbering WR's!! while HCSS/Coach McD like the quicker in/out WR's. That's shows in this class coming in!! dougie really left the class weak in WR experience too! Funderburk is a huge question now?? If he does not pan out then the FS WR's will have to play.

This ^^ And as for Shafer's comments on WRs, two things:

1) It is important to remember the info is third-hand and without much context.

2) There aren't many coaches running around recruiting WRs by saying, "we've got a ton of depth at WR and you'll be lucky to see the field at all. But hey, we could use some special teams help and who know, maybe a couple guys get injured!!"
That was my pop warner coach's pitch to me.

dougie by no means recruited quality WR's. What SU has now at WR is playable, but not top flight. dougie like the lumbering WR's!! while HCSS/Coach McD like the quicker in/out WR's. That's shows in this class coming in!! dougie really left the class weak in WR experience too! Funderburk is a huge question now?? If he does not pan out then the FS WR's will have to play.

Jesus, you really have absolutely no clue about the stuff you post, do you? I guess you think Kobena is a lumbering WR? If this board was made of "scholarship" posters, you couldn't walk on......

Looking at Funderburke on the sidelines at the spring game, he sure passes the look test. Maybe his drop-off is due to attitude. SS doesn't seem the type to tolerate and BS. And Alpha-O, I agree with your post above as well.

Jesus, you really have absolutely no clue about the stuff you post, do you? I guess you think Kobena is a lumbering WR? If this board was made of "scholarship" posters, you couldn't walk on......

Gotta take this guy in stride, alpha: over on the late-not-so-great Syracuse.com board, he would brag about laughing at his grandkids because the got upset when SU lost a game, and then when SU would win one they weren't supposed to (like a top-25 WVU team two years ago), he would bitch and moan about some SU team member screwing up. Never a positive note; always a negative spin. Unfortunately, the tradition lives on at this board...

Go away.

Go away.
Like a festering boil on one's a$$ or a zit on the tip of one's nose the best way to get rid of it is to leave it alone and eventually it will disappear.

Acknowledging this clown's existence only encourages him to post more. If we all can muster up the discipline to completely ignore his posts, he will go the way of the Dodo bird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom